Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Irish Reg Vehicles

Options
  • 19-01-2009 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Bit of a tangent this but I was in Sainsburys in Derry last week. Just getting ready to drive off when a 4x4 with an 07 SO registration pulled alongside: nothing new there except that it had "ESB Networks" on the side.

Was he shopping in company time? should a public sector worker be more inclined to shop locally? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Was he shopping in company time?

I sure as hell hope not.
    should a public sector worker be more inclined to shop locally? :confused:

I don't see why they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Bit of a tangent this but I was in Sainsburys in Derry last week. Just getting ready to drive off when a 4x4 with an 07 SO registration pulled alongside: nothing new there except that it had "ESB Networks" on the side.

Was he shopping in company time? should a public sector worker be more inclined to shop locally? :confused:

I know plenty guys who sub contrct their own services/vehicles to ESB during the working week... Forestry Workers etc.... or was he in an ESB yellow Vehicle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

When we first moved here, the tax man arrived at our door reminding us that there was a time limit to import our car. We looked over at his car and he had a Northern Irish car! Surely that shouldn't be allowed?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Mrs.T wrote: »
    When we first moved here, the tax man arrived at our door reminding us that there was a time limit to import our car. We looked over at his car and he had a Northern Irish car! Surely that shouldn't be allowed?...

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Macroom Man

Culchie wrote: »
    I know plenty guys who sub contrct their own services/vehicles to ESB during the working week... Forestry Workers etc.... or was he in an ESB yellow Vehicle?

Bright Yellow with ESB Networks on the side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Mrs.T wrote: »

We had a visit too when we moved here from a very unpleasant woman - I think they followed me from town - but driving a Northern Ireland car while warning you. That is taking the p!ss!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Essexboy wrote: »
    We had a visit too when we moved here from a very unpleasant woman - I think they followed me from town - but driving a Northern Ireland car while warning you. That is taking the p!ss!

Is it not true that if you have owned the car for more then six months in another Country you dont need to pay vrt on it ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

bennyc wrote: »
    Is it not true that if you have owned the car for more then six months in another Country you dont need to pay vrt on it ???

yes thats right. But accoording to EU regulations you have a year to change it over when you move country. the customs were at our door the second week we moved over. I challanged him and heared nothing back. We changed over a year to date because of him!

The reason you have so long is that you need at least a year to see if you can make it work in the other country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sulukie

In fairness the customs officer doesn't know whether you have lived abroad for six months or whether you just drove up to the north and bought a car until he stops you. But your right warning you while driving a northern reg car himself is taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Like it says, new Sligo thread on something really grating me for years, you guys should get back on topic:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

If lets say,I was a student in Northern Ireland and was renting up there Monday-Friday and coming back home at the weekends and had my Rep. Of Ireland registered car with me every week,can customs or the revenue people or anyone say anything to me because I wouldn't be living in the Republic for more than 6 months of the year.

Sulukie wrote: »
    In fairness the customs officer doesn't know whether you have lived abroad for six months or whether you just drove up to the north and bought a car until he stops you. But your right warning you while driving a northern reg car himself is taking the piss.

he does, they come after you apply pps number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Macroom Man

he does, they come after you apply pps number

I did not have a PPS number when customs came around, was only in Ireland for 2-3 weeks. First approached in NCF at Deepwater Quay but managed to leave: next day same woman appeared on my doorstep. "We were passing and ..." They were "passing" on a back road?!

Anyway I took the car back to England and sold it there so they did not get any VRT!!

I did not have a PPS number when customs came around, was only in Ireland for 2-3 weeks. First approached in NCF at Deepwater Quay but managed to leave: next day same woman appeared on my doorstep. "We were passing and ..." They were "passing" on a back road?!

Anyway I took the car back to England and sold it there so they did not get any VRT!!

in my case they did, we lived in the middle of nowhere and he made a house call for it. Fair enough though, but have to say the vrt is steep which makes people wait a bit to save up the road tax(which you dont pay for a while) and pay it whit that. So I think it defeats the purpose a bit.

Advertisement