Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WRC maps / iterinary and viewing points

• 21-01-2009 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭

Can anybody give me information on Viewing points for the WRC? I am thinking of going to the rally . which day would be the best to go. When you get to the Rally does everybody ( ie spectators )drive to the stage and then find themselves a viewing point.

It looks like the rally stages start very early in the morning at around 8 or 9 am and are finished by two - is this correct. I found that the WRC website was a bit slim on information.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Most comprehensive & reliable spectator information & stage maps will be in the Rally Ireland programme...€12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭culabula88

What time do the stages start at on Saturday and Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

"Culabula" Would this be your first time going to a rally?

As a seasoned rally fan I'll be heading away to my first stage on friday at about six a.m. and on saturday at five.. Sunday is in My home town (donegal) and we have to be in place before midday..

At rallies you generally get driving up to about half a KM from the stage and if you arrive late you won't be able to get to far up the stage to get a good vantage point.. if you get a programme study it well, and pick a point to go to, try to be there at least an hour before..We are planning to get every other stage (i.e.1,3,5,7 etc..)
    and only getting about the first 20 or so cars... Traffic on fridays at a rally is usually light,but saturdays and sundays are quite heavy so keep this in mind..
    I know for a fact, that on sunday in Donegal town there is going to be park and ride(€2) from the town By-Pass,and that if you want to get into the Diamond you need a Pass (€30) and to get onto the Grandstand at the stand(€25)
    However there is alot of other vantage points aound the town that will be good if you are in early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Rally Ireland 2009 Stage guide
    http://www.rallyireland.org/news.aspx?article=291

Rally Ireland 2009 commences on Thursday 29th January and ends on the 1st February. There are 19 stages in total covering 350kms across seven counties in the Northwest. Please keep the race in its place, respect the property of the local community and stay alert and be aware. The following is a general guide to the stages:

Getting to SS 1 & 4 - Glenboy
    This is the first stage of the rally, and there are some ideal spectating locations throughout the stage.

From Sligo take the n16 towards Enniskillen, but there is limited parking in some areas, and vehicles causing an obstruction will be towed away.

There is parking near Manorhamilton to the west and Glenfame to the east of the stage. Parking on minor roads is possible, but please don’t cause any obstructions. Parking on the R280 will be monitored, as it forms the route for the rally cars, and entails quite a walk to early locations.

Getting to SS2 & SS5 – Cavan
    Access is best from the east, off the Ballinamore to Swanlinbar road – take the R220 to Glangevlin village.

Otherwise come from Dowra, before road-closing time, access into the centre of the stage via the road going northeast approx 1.5km before stage exit. Any vehicles parked and obstructing rally traffic towards Dowra will be towed away. The road bypassing Glangevlin to the south will be one way from east to west.

Getting to SS3 7 SS6 – Aughnasheelan
    Best access is from the east at Ballimanore, with a number of viewing points available. Easy access to Aughnasheelan, but expect a lot of traffic and people. For the more adventurous there are gravel tracks, with good parking, to locations, e.g. Spectator area F on the east side of the stage.

From Drumshambo there are a few good viewing points. Near the stage start there is limited parking on the R207, and walking access into early locations.

Getting to SS7 – Murley
    Remember the darkness and take precautions. The best advice for both these stages, from wherever you approach, is to park on the wide verges of the A4 Enniskillen to Dungannon road, and there is easy walking access to either stage from there.

There is limited parking on some approach roads to the stage for early arrivals, but police and marshals will travel around the area to ensure no roads are blocked, and offending vehicles will be towed. Do not park on or obstruct the streets of Clogher and Fivemiletown.

Getting to SS 8 – Fardross
    Remember the darkness and take precautions. The best advice for both these stages, from wherever you approach, is to park on the wide verges of the A4 Enniskillen to Dungannon road, and there is easy walking access to either stage from there. There is limited parking on some approach roads to the stage for early arrivals, but police and marshals will travel around the area to ensure no roads are blocked, and offending vehicles will be towed. Do not park on or obstruct the streets of Clogher and Fivemiletown.

Getting to SS9 & SS12 – Sloughan Glen
    The best approach is from the B4 Kesh to Omagh Road, and turn off for Drumquin on the B84, which takes you to a parking area in a quarry, adjacent to the stage. Traffic from the east, Belfast or Monaghan, should take the B50 to Drumquin village where various car parks are available, but vehicles causing any obstruction will be towed. Traffic from the west via Ederney can travel on the B4 to near the finish, or on the B72 towards Casltederg and park in Lough Braden forest adjacent to the start.

Getting to SS10 & SS13 – Ballinamallard
    Traffic from Donegal, Kesh and Enniskillen should travel to B123 Kilskeery road out of Irvinestown where there is ample space on the road sides and good viewing. Traffic from Omagh, Belfast and Monaghan via Kilskeery to the B123 again, where parking and viewing are easily available. The stage is closed to Trillick where motorhomes can be accommodated in the golf club, and access is easy from the parking areas to the stage. Parking on one side of the B46 is acceptable provided no obstruction is caused. Access off A32 Irvinestown road will be limited and local signs will apply.

Getting to SS11 & SS14 – Tempo
    From Enniskillen take the B80 Tempo road, with parking on road sides within an easy walking access to the stage, to some of the best viewing of the event.

Roadside parking also on Coa road to north east of Enniskillen, and on approach to other spectator points in limited locations where blockages will not be created. Belfast traffic – take the B80 at Fivemiletown to park on the roads south of the stage.

Getting to SS15 – Geevagh
    When leaving Sligo to the south take the R284, which runs parallel to the stage. A car park in Geevagh is a reasonable distance from the stage, with catering available. The quarry at the stage finish has ample space for a large number of spectator vehicles, access from just north of Ballyfarnon. Any vehicle causing obstruction will be towed. For the brave the stage can be accessed via forest tracks on the north west side.

Getting to SS16 – Argina
    Access will be mostly from the R280 running parallel and north east of the stage. Allow time to get through villages such as Drumshambo, from the east, the midlands or Carrick-on-Shannon. Parking is allowed on the hard shoulders and road verges of R280, with the many narrow roads to the stage from there. Be careful not to block roads and be considerate to others. Arigna village has some parking on the approach roads, but access will be managed to ensure safety.

Getting to SS17 – Lough Gill
    Although shortened from 2007, this stage has good access for viewing off the R278 north of the stage, but with limited parking on road sides. The R288 spectator area C from Dromahair will be ideal for parking and viewing this stage.

Getting to SS18 – Donegal Bay
    Easiest access of all stages, with the N15 Donegal/Ballyshannon road running alongside. Parking available on hard shoulder and walking access to viewing points from there. Some localised restrictions may apply on the day where the stage gets closest to the main road.

From the western Rossnowlagh side, good viewing after parking on the R231, with only a short walk.

Getting to SS19 – Donegal Town
    Parking will be available on the N1 ring road, between the Laghey roundabout and the Killybegs roundabout. Walk or take a bus from there. Spectator traffic parking or blocking the town centre or surrounding will be removed.

Rally Ireland is run by Motorsport Ireland in conjunction with the Association of Northern Ireland Car Clubs (ANICC) with sponsorship from Failte Ireland and the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure (DCAL). The 2009 World Rally Championship will be run in 12 rounds across the world and will reach a global TV audience of over 800million. For more information on Rally Ireland 2009 log on to www.rallyireland.org

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭fergalfrog

I have not been to this before and so was just wondering what way you should do it to get as much of the rally in as possible.

I get in to Dublin late tonight and am going to drive down very early tomorrow morning. Do most people try and get to every second stage or is this too ambitious? I would think it's impossible to get to every stage. Should I aim to do Glenboy and then head for Aughnasheelan?

What kind of itinerary are others doing?
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Im just working out what im going to do and im thinking of the first run through aughnasheelan and then the second one of glenboy. Im then going to try and get at least one of the last two stages murley or fardross.
    Hopefully ill get to them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Blaster-08

Does anybody know the times the first cars a due in each stage on saturday:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Its not that hard to find but here it is
    http://www.rallyireland.org/Editor/assets/timetable.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Blaster-08

thanks for that...i had seen it before jus couldnt locate it again ..thanks again:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Last two stages cancelled for tonight, too much standing water :(

I just see that on the rallyireland page.
    Is that where you saw it too? If not can you post a link please
    I was planning on going to the night stages so hopefully its not the case.

edit: never mind it seems to be true. Its also on the wrc website
    At least it will give me a chance to dry out lol :)

Advertisement