Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay your tax Westlife

Options
  • 21-01-2009 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

Now this has been p1ss1ng me off for years, over 4 years and just reading the 'stores closing' thread it was the last straw. Some boardsies were drifting off topic and hi-lighting how the tax-man was busting chops on their UK registered cars in a very short time.

Well.... There is a very nice and very expensive Porsche, the 4x4 one, black, and living in Sligo for at least 4 years. I know as my daughter was a toddler when I chanced upon its Westlife owner picking up his beau in Knock airport. His collegue is driving a lovely Aston Martin also on UK plates for at least a year now. Before I go further, while not a fan I have the height of respect for the band and what they have achieved and think they are great ambassadors for Sligo and Ireland.

PAY YOUR TAXES LADS. The cars live here and any other Joe would not get away with it for a month never mind years. I really doubt either car has been in the UK since they first came to Sligo. PAY YOUR TAXES LADS, YOU CAN AFFORD IT!

If by chance any of you read this, well done on your achievements and I love the fact you have the things the rest of us dream of, just pay your way too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Don't kill me if I'm wrong but as long as you have an address in the U.K one can drive their cars as much and as often as they want in the Republic and don't have to pay the VRT charge....am I right in saying that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It never ceases to amaze me.. the depths of begrudery in Ireland. Leave 'em alone - they're the best karaoke act we've ever produced... do you really want Boyzone back again THAT badly?!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

do you really want Boyzone back again THAT badly?!

??Will they all retire if they have to pay their VRT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Don't kill me if I'm wrong but as long as you have an address in the U.K one can drive their cars as much and as often as they want in the Republic and don't have to pay the VRT charge....am I right in saying that?

you have to be living in the UK for more than 6 months of the year, not just have an address over there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

gino85 wrote: »
    you have to be living in the UK for more than 6 months of the year, not just have an address over there

But if you have an address there how is anybody to know if you have actually been living there for more than 6 months of the year.Surely there is no way to prove it...is there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Now this has been p1ss1ng me off for years, over 4 years and just reading the 'stores closing' thread it was the last straw. Some boardsies were drifting off topic and hi-lighting how the tax-man was busting chops on their UK registered cars in a very short time.

Well.... There is a very nice and very expensive Porsche, the 4x4 one, black, and living in Sligo for at least 4 years. I know as my daughter was a toddler when I chanced upon its Westlife owner picking up his beau in Knock airport. His collegue is driving a lovely Aston Martin also on UK plates for at least a year now. Before I go further, while not a fan I have the height of respect for the band and what they have achieved and think they are great ambassadors for Sligo and Ireland.

PAY YOUR TAXES LADS. The cars live here and any other Joe would not get away with it for a month never mind years. I really doubt either car has been in the UK since they first came to Sligo. PAY YOUR TAXES LADS, YOU CAN AFFORD IT!

If by chance any of you read this, well done on your achievements and I love the fact you have the things the rest of us dream of, just pay your way too.

Its simple. Report them to revenue. They'll investigate it - infact, they take it very seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

OK, To clarify, while I am not a fan of Westlife's music, I am a big fan of what they have achieved. I begrudge them nothing and the more they earn the more I will smile, fair play to them for literally conquering the world music wise and remaining such nice well adjusted young men who at every opportunity seem to promote Sligo and causes within Sligo as much as they can, Good on ye lads.

But, they are obliged, by law, to register the cars that they use in this country, under Irish plates. There are people every day getting lifted for driving on foreign plates, the cars get impounded etc. Why could that Porcshe be seen so often around Strandhill and Sligo, for over 4 years, without being made to register here. I can only assume that its owner leaves it here all the time in that I dont believe he drives it over and back to the UK. Same for the Aston and the Ferrari, although I have not seen that particular work of art for a while.

They should pay the tax because they can well afford it and right now the government could well do with it. No exception should be made because they are famous.

I would never report anybody to the revenue, I just hope they pay the duty they owe to the Revenue, maybe somone on here will make them aware that it is being discussed.

Again well done lads for making so much coin, brilliant, just tax your cars:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

have seen the aston a few times, was pointed out me that it belonged to your wun from westlife (their words), fair play to what thet have achived, but didn't think it had been over here that long, and tbh, with their touring, studio work etc, are they even in the country over the permitted time,

irish-stew wrote: »
    have seen the aston a few times, was pointed out me that it belonged to your wun from westlife (their words), fair play to what thet have achived, but didn't think it had been over here that long, and tbh, with their touring, studio work etc, are they even in the country over the permitted time,

None of this matters. If they reside her (have family ties like rear kids,have a household here), they are obliged to pay VRT on their vehicles - like you or me.
    Its TAX EVASION - and they should be reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Is it an E reg porsche? One passed me today but the windows are a little tinted so I couldn't see the driver. I tutted at it in the manner of an old lady for Boards though.:pac:

P.S. I really hope Il Gatto doesn't see this thread. It'll send him over the edge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Don't they have diplomatic immunity with Bertie in the family? Or is that gone by the board now?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

None of this matters. If they reside her (have family ties like rear kids,have a household here), they are obliged to pay VRT on their vehicles - like you or me.
    Its TAX EVASION - and they should be reported.

but thats my point, do they reside here, i dont know, but if they are out of the country for more than so many months of the year, does that not be considered, how do we know they dont have an address the north where the car is registered,

yes, they are obliged to pay VRT, if its due, they might be meeting certain creteira was allows them to avoid it legally,

does any one of us have absolute proof that they are breaking the law

not defending them, just debating it

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

I don't see why the OP would not report it to Revenue. It is they that are responsible for collecting it... not Boardsies. So if it bothers you just let them know. Depends on which member it is but it is feasible that they are not in the Country that much anyway..

Of more interest is Shane Filan's recent "donation" of €400,000 (as reported .. erm Press Released in the Sligo Champion) to Carraroe school on condition that they removed their objection to an adjoining development.

It's not a donation if you profit from it!!!

What's also interesting is the way he is all over the paper signing autographs for kids etc. around the time of such submissions..

Cynical stuff. apologies if this is off topic

irish-stew wrote: »
    but thats my point, do they reside here, i dont know, but if they are out of the country for more than so many months of the year, does that not be considered, how do we know they dont have an address the north where the car is registered,

yes, they are obliged to pay VRT, if its due, they might be meeting certain creteira was allows them to avoid it legally,

does any one of us have absolute proof that they are breaking the law

not defending them, just debating it

Hang the bastards.. ALL OF THEM... last time I heard, they had a gay AND a fenian cross-bred with a black and tan amongst them, the swines. Hpw ridiculous is that?

Stekelly wrote: »
    ??Will they all retire if they have to pay their VRT?

Do boy bands have to register for VRT now? !!!!

Voice

Regsistered

for

Tax???

Imagine how much Boyzone owe us in back tax?!!!:D

Back on topic...........if they have family ties here, VRT must be paid.
    Do your civic duty and report them otherwise, whats the point of going on about it and doing nothing.

Back on topic...........if they have family ties here, VRT must be paid.
    Do your civic duty and report them otherwise, whats the point of going on about it and doing nothing.

We're Irish - that's what we do.. it's the only explanation for Joe Duffy's show being so popular. :P

We're Irish - that's what we do.. it's the only explanation for Joe Duffy's show being so popular. :P

yes, Talk to Joe!:D

yes, Talk to Joe!:D

He might not listen to you, but he'll let you waffle. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Agreed. And I also agree that his recent offer of a "donation" of €400,000 to Carraroe school on condition that they removed their objection to an adjoining development ( if its true ... I did not see that in the Champion ) is a bribe, not a donation, if he + his brother would benefit from the adjoining development.

• Advertisement

jimmmy wrote: »
    Agreed. And I also agree that his recent offer of a "donation" of €400,000 to Carraroe school on condition that they removed their objection to an adjoining development ( if its true ... I did not see that in the Champion ) is a bribe, not a donation, if he + his brother would benefit from the adjoining development.

+1 - VRT evasion is Tax evasion.
    Also, not only would they get the objection removed if they get the donation ok'ed, they can also write it off in tax as a charitable donation!
    Cheeky Crooners.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

How do you know he hasn't paid the VRT on the car? Is there something that shows you've paid it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

takola wrote: »
    How do you know he hasn't paid the VRT on the car? Is there something that shows you've paid it?

You pay VRT when you put it in irish plates, these ones have british plates that how you see

takola wrote: »

Yes, a UK reg plate each end of the car, errrm, no road tax in the windscreen, errrm, No NCT (if it applies)........
    Vehicle registration Tax Evasion, Road Tax evasion and they don't have to bother their arse getting it NCT'd.
    There's a lot of evasion going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

lol......this thread is a good giggle......and very very 'oirish'.

The level of begrudgery and ignorance is almost tangible.

I would imagine that they have 'proffesionals' looking after they're interests where this is concerned and any possible loopholes have been well and truly explored............not to mention the fact that any one of you, including myself, would do the exact same thing if we had this fortunate position.......deny it all you like in this thread, deep down you know its true.

daithijjj wrote: »
    lol......this thread is a good giggle......and very very 'oirish'.

The level of begrudgery and ignorance is almost tangible.

I would imagine that they have 'proffesionals' looking after they're interests where this is concerned and any possible loopholes have been well and truly explored............not to mention the fact that any one of you, including myself, would do the exact same thing if we had this fortunate position.......deny it all you like in this thread, deep down you know its true.

Daithijjj, saying "deny it all you like in this thread" does by no means give you the upper hand with this and posts to follow.
    I personally have paid RVT on lots of vehicles, personally for me to drive and for clients over the years - some vehicles of more and similar value to a porsche cayenne which tbh, are cheap in the uk anyways at 3/4 years old.
    So, you are happy to tell all that you'd like to emulate their tax evasion and public standards?

Says a lot about you.
    BTW - sort out your spelling, and the use of the word ignorance in the wrong context is the height of ignorance.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

gino85 wrote: »

This is also my understanding of it.
    However, does anyone know what the position is if you live in the UK for over 6 months a year but the car remains in Ireland for, say, 10 months of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Daithijjj, saying "deny it all you like in this thread" does by no means give you the upper hand with this and posts to follow.
    I personally have paid RVT on lots of vehicles, personally for me to drive and for clients over the years - some vehicles of more and similar value to a porsche cayenne which tbh, are cheap in the uk anyways at 3/4 years old.
    So, you are happy to tell all that you'd like to emulate their tax evasion and public standards?

Says a lot about you.
    BTW - sort out your spelling, and the use of the word ignorance in the wrong context is the height of ignorance.:p

LOL "go hifreann leat" , come down off the high horse, and untangle your knickers.......what kind of an idiot is going to argue that they should be paying the relevant taxes and all the while have no idea what the actual situation is. Sort out your spelling blah blah, is the typical childish response.

"So, you are happy to tell all that you'd like to emulate their tax evasion and public standards?"..........where is the proof tax evasion and "public standards" (lmao) have taken place or are indeed occuring?.........if you and your type would kindly save hearsay and 'personal fantasy' for your buddies down the boozer it would be appreciated. It is not fact until it is proven and when or if it is, then it is worthy of debate but not before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

I wouldnt have thought they would be shipping a car over and back if they have that type of money. Would it not be a fair assumption to believe the car is for home use. :confused:
    Anyway whatever the situation they hold an influential postion as role models. It should be more than their suits that are whiter than white. :cool::eek:

Cant say that I have seen them using that money for charitable purposes for their local community. Sadly, seems they are quite the opposite imo, they appear cynical business heads especially in the building end of it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 cranmore

if it was any of us, they wouldn't be long taking the cars.

Advertisement