Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay your tax Westlife

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 damo2006

Imagine the OMSP on the Porshsce 4 years ago to now, the difference in what should have been paid is decreasing each year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Is it an E reg porsche? One passed me today but the windows are a little tinted so I couldn't see the driver. I tutted at it in the manner of an old lady for Boards though.:pac:
    P.S. I really hope Il Gatto doesn't see this thread. It'll send him over the edge.

Too late:) When you import a U.K. car, you legally have until the end of the next working day to pay the VRT. Many people swing it for a few weeks, but are breaking the law and the first Guard to stop you will either tell you to sort it immediately (best case scenario) or contact the Revenue Commisioners and get the Customs to impound it (likely scenario). At this point you will have to pay the VRT, impound costs, storeage costs and heavy fines. Then you pay Irish road tax (far more than U.K. road tax) and NCT it if it's over four years old.
    Even U.K. citizens or long term residents only get a six month period of grace before the car must be reregistered.
    I've done it a couple of times, as have friends and family, and as skint as I am, I didn't quibble as I still saved money and it is the law.
    The Porsche has been here a number of years. The owner travels alot, but whether he's resident in the U.K. half the year is extremely doubtful.
    I know one person who drove a car 4 months out of tax as he had a company car coming. Stopped by Gardai, his car was lifted. He had to pay back tax, road tax, impound costs and a fine. A week later it was parked up as his company car came. Cost him almost a thousand Euro. Wasn't happy but accepted the fact he'd broken the law and stumped up everything he owed.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

All of the above assumes that these people actually own these cars.

They could be leased or company owned in Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

ArseBurger wrote: »

If the driver has proof that the car is owner/leased by the company which employs you and the car is solely used for business purposes. The first may be true, the latter isn't. Therefore any legal use of the car is trumped by the use as a private vehicle, ergo VRT is due, as is road tax. Unfortunately, if it was VRT'd right now, it would bring the state thousands less than when it originally came to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

ArseBurger wrote: »

Respect for the handle:cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement