Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I REALLY haven't seen one of these in a while!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

no-image-large.gif
    Around may 1984 cork county,looks in tidy enough shape,are you interested?

Still has its original rear plate too!
    no-image-large.gif
    Must be an interesting story behind this one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Around may 1984 cork county,looks in tidy enough shape,are you interested?

No I'm not interested. It's a modest enough price though I'll admit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

A relation of mine owned that car from new, died recently and I'd say that's the only reason it's on the market. He used to keep it like new. Horrible cars though tbh, it's really a Renault with a Volvo badge on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

nice price and its insurable !!

very tempted but its a fair travel to cork :(

• Advertisement

junkyard wrote: »
    A relation of mine owned that car from new, died recently and I'd say that's the only reason it's on the market. He used to keep it like new. Horrible cars though tbh, it's really a Renault with a Volvo badge on it.
    Yeah,im not a huge fan of these either,it deserves a good retirement though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

The salon models are especially rare.

Sorry, but I'd crush anything with a Renault badge on it maybe with the exception of a 16TX.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

I've a feeling it will be snapped up by a drifter to get the ''old skool'' racer look. 25 yo clean bus still on the trot tho! Seen a 88D only today aswell

Volvoboy wrote: »
    I've a feeling it will be snapped up by a drifter to get the ''old skool'' racer look. 25 yo clean bus still on the trot tho! Seen a 88D only today aswell

You won't get much drifting out of one of these, drive shafts were made out of chewing gum if I recall.:pac:

• Advertisement

You won't get much drifting out of one of these, drive shafts were made out of chewing gum if I recall.:pac:

I'll take your word on that, never worked on one myself. But if ya wanted to go to the beach?

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=7DZ_OzAe6Yc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Uncle of mine had one of those years ago, think it was an 89-OY reg. Probably one of the only few i've seen lol

Those claims of it being a rebadged Renault are simply untrue. If you do a bit of research you will find out in fact that it's origins lie in DAF's car manufacturing subsidiary which Volvo bought. It was built in the former DAF factory in Holland which is called NedCar these days. The gearboxes and I think a few of the engines were Renault, that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Funnily enough I saw one of these outside Boland's scrap yard between swords and dublin airport just today. Thought I hadn't seen one in years as I passed it too, and it seemed quite intact (from a distance). My mate's mam had one when I was in primary school, it had a huge sticker of an eagle with its wings spread on the glass sun roof.

Didn't Clarkson destroy one with a Chieftain tank on one of his early videos? Unleashed on Cars was the name of that one I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭SAABMAN

How did he get enough petrol into it to shoot the vid. Thirsty beggars if I remember right. Bags of power too........see how he had to park on the patch of snow to get wheel-spin

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Those claims of it being a rebadged Renault are simply untrue. If you do a bit of research you will find out in fact that it's origins lie in DAF's car manufacturing subsidiary which Volvo bought. It was built in the former DAF factory in Holland which is called NedCar these days. The gearboxes and I think a few of the engines were Renault, that's all.

Renault 1397cc engine.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

DAF 77 in notchback form.;)

1400 is a Renault unit, which has a long history.

They're a bit weighty, so better with a Volvo B engine in.

Much better than the FWD 400 series though. They were pants.

If VRT hadn't gone through the roof for oldies, I would have got a Vario version. Plenty around in the UK (don't think saloons were sold there). Was quite a big seller for Volvo in the 80s.

Rory123 wrote: »
    Didn't Clarkson destroy one with a Chieftain tank on one of his early videos? Unleashed on Cars was the name of that one I think.

Nah that was the Yugo. He crashed the Volvo into a tree!:D It wasn't the first 340 I think he's destroyed, mind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Seen a 88D only today aswell

I seen an '88 one recently too. Was it beige with a silver boot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Nah that was the Yugo. He crashed the Volvo into a tree!:D It wasn't the first 340 I think he's destroyed, mind you.

The steering was "soggier than a blamange soaked in soggy fluid"!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Horrible cars though tbh, it's really a Renault with a Volvo badge on it.
    +1

I spotted this one in Mitchelstown last July (apologies crap pic).

Volvo34084C225-2.jpg

Max_Damage wrote: »
    I seen an '88 one recently too. Was it beige with a silver boot?

Was silver but a hatch, spotted in the Beaumount area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

it's really a Renault with a Volvo badge on it.

Incorrect. It is a DAF designed car with a Renault engine. Designed and built in the Netherlands by DAF. It was badged Volvo because Volvo bought out DAF before the car was brought to market.

Gearbox is still part of the rear axle DAF style if i remember rightly?

ive never heard any complaints at all about these other then the clear fact that they are cheap and rwd...

a classic lovers worst nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

S.I.R wrote: »
    ive never heard any complaints at all about these other then the clear fact that they are cheap and rwd...

a classic lovers worst nightmare.

lol +1

That's what ruined the Sierra:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

There's a 340 saloon still on the road in Limerick, similar colours to the one in the OP. On FTI plates (Limerick city '86) IIRC

unkel wrote: »
    Incorrect. It is a DAF designed car with a Renault engine. Designed and built in the Netherlands by DAF. It was badged Volvo because Volvo bought out DAF before the car was brought to market.

There's enough Renault bits in them for me to hate them anyway.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mouwt

This is the Limerick one, 312 eti, beautiful car, very clean...

volvo340.jpg

volvo3403.jpg

Full leather interior too, wonder is that a factory option??

volvo3402.jpg

• Advertisement

l
    That's what ruined the Sierra:(
    No that would be the rust..:P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I'd say a Renault Haynes manual on the passenger seat would be enough for you Junkyard:D:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

LOL, he has this for sale as well ! School run, anyone ??:D

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Granada/6-Door-L/200842190447964/advert

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

K-Jet wrote: »
    I'd say a Renault Haynes manual on the passenger seat would be enough for you Junkyard:D:P

Too right! That garage has some classy stuff alright from what I've seen of it...............not!;)

mouwt wrote: »
    This is the Limerick one, 312 eti, beautiful car, very clean...

volvo340.jpg

volvo3403.jpg

Full leather interior too, wonder is that a factory option??

volvo3402.jpg

This one is an Irish motor show special, Volvo used to bring them out with loads of extra, I used to love Volvos until Renault got involved.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

mouwt: That's the one! :)

• Advertisement

This one is an Irish motor show special..
    How do you mean,was it an exhibit at a motor show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Link Failure above!!!

I might ask whats the money on it next time I see it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭superboy

Well I'm going to Youghal in 2 weeks. if its still there I'm going to make an offer. BTW, I also have a Sierra. Wierdly it too is a ZK registered car! Fate??!!! Maybe.....:) :)

DO IT Superboy!

• Advertisement

That 340 is an absolute beauty!:) It looks really original too. I can even see the original Elm Motors dealer sticker!:p
    This one is an Irish motor show special, Volvo used to bring them out with loads of extra, I used to love Volvos until Renault got involved.:(

Interesting, that must explain why it is badged as the near bottom of the range 'GL' model. Could you enlighten me anymore about them?

BTW. Nearly every Volvo from the 300 Series up until the 850 was released had some Renault part or another.

That 340 is an absolute beauty!:) It looks really original too. I can even see the original Elm Motors dealer sticker!:p

Interesting, that must explain why it is badged as the near bottom of the range 'GL' model. Could you enlighten me anymore about them?

BTW. Nearly every Volvo from the 300 Series up until the 850 was released had some Renault part or another.

That's why I gave up on Volvo, I'm only interested from the 240 back. The motor show specials were based on the 1.4 engined 340's hence the GL badged model. The GLE's and the GLT's were all based on the 2 litre engine. There was a Black Beauty model too in black obviously, with red pinstriping, alloy wheels and a sun roof brought out around 1980. I actually designed a Volvo 340 estate when I was at design college and submitted it to Volvo and they were actually considering building it too, I have correspondence from them somewhere if I can find it but it was mid eighties and probably too late in the cars lifetime to be viable, pity, it could have been my claim to fame.:)
    There was a poverty spec one too for the Irish market, an L I think, without headlamp wipers and lower spec inside too.

Interesting stuff junkyard!There was always a poverty spec car for the irish market wasnt there...:rolleyes:
    On a slightly different note,is the Daimler Conquest for sale in cork in this months irish vintage one of yours?

Interesting stuff junkyard!There was always a poverty spec car for the irish market wasnt there...:rolleyes:
    On a slightly different note,is the Daimler Conquest for sale in cork in this months irish vintage one of yours?

No carchaeologist all mine are Majestic Majors and Sovereigns, no interest in any of the other Daimlers I'm afraid.

That's why I gave up on Volvo, I'm only interested from the 240 back. The motor show specials were based on the 1.4 engined 340's hence the GL badged model.

What motorshows were they exhibited at do you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

There is another one of these cars still on the road in the cork area. Its gold I think and has the pre 86 number, ?ZK ***. I saw it being serviced last week and similiar to the car in the main thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

LOL, I wasn't trying to convince you not to hate them. I know that's futile :D
    I actually designed a Volvo 340 estate when I was at design college and submitted it to Volvo and they were actually considering building it too, I have correspondence from them somewhere if I can find it

Cool! :cool:

Any chance of finding some of the correspondence and scanning it in?

unkel wrote: »
    Any chance of finding some of the correspondence and scanning it in?
    Yep,that would be cool....:cool:

indeed, bragging rights are yours.

Advertisement