Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burnley v Spurs - Carling Cup semi final 2nd leg

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Now we know why big 'Arry put 5k on Burnley.......that'll buy a lot of mario kart......

Top top tip it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Harpy wrote: »
    double harsh...i hope will kill them in the final now...b*stards

Any need for that?

Very hard luck Burnley, deserved to go through after a brilliant 117mins, just got undone at the death.

Alnwick is not even good enough to play for my work 7-a-side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Any need for that?

Very hard luck Burnley, deserved to go through after a brilliant 117mins, just got undone at the death.

Alnwick is not even good enough to play for my work 7-a-side.
    Well done spurs, disappointed for Burnley but hey what can you do.

See ya in the final TRO!

Harpy wrote: »
    double harsh...i hope will kill them in the final now...b*stards

96777.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

gazza.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

that'll buy a lot of mario kart......
    What does this mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

eagle eye wrote: »
    What does this mean?

have you ever seen the advert on tv

What does this mean?

The Redknapps, Harry and Jamie and his missus Lousie, not sure if Harry's missus is in it, do a Wii ad for Mario Kart........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Damn it. Really hoping Burnley could hang on, everyone enjoys a good LOL at spurs. Would have provided some entertainment in work tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Chong wrote: »
    See ya in the final TRO!

No guarantee I'll be able to head over, struggling for time off work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

here eagle eye

its near the end btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

That ad gives me the shivers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

That's so jammy. I was not looking forward to the grief I'd have received in work if that result had gone Burnley's way. In fairness, they deserved it and it's really harsh for them not to go through but I guess that's how football goes. Harry really needs to get a decent backup keeper in and give the rest of the squad a serious bollocking!!

I'm so delighted that spuds won.:)

I'm so delighted that spuds won.:)

Burnley really gave Bentley pelters didn't they? :D

• Advertisement

Burnley really gave Bentley pelters didn't they? :D
    That I did like.:)

But they give us dogs abuse all the time, we don't like them at all, but they detest us and they start everything always, but lose as usual because we are bigger and stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Damn it. Really hoping Burnley could hang on, everyone enjoys a good LOL at spurs. Would have provided some entertainment in work tomorrow.

Not to worry they're will be lots of chances for this in the remainder of the season, thumping in a second rate cup final, relegation after poaching every player in site, Harry walking out to manage a club ''with a special place in he's heart'', Arsenal winning the champions league ......etc. etc. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Harry Redknapp in his post match ramblings sounded like a man who genuinely thinks he is above criticism. Mish Mash of players my ass. He has a squad which should be capable of challenging for the UEFA places. he certainly has a squad which is better than scraping past Burnley at the very death. And that is no disrespect to Burnley.

He then goes off and says he will not play a strong side against Man U in the cup? If he was Johnny Foreigner, he would be harangued for not showing the passion needed to be a manager in the best league in the world (tm), and for disrespecting the greatestestestest cup competion known to man.

I think the Spurs job is just to big for Harry, as will be shown when they are (hopefully) relegated in May.

gimmick wrote: »
    Harry Redknapp in his post match ramblings sounded like a man who genuinely thinks he is above criticism. Mish Mash of players my ass. He has a squad which should be capable of challenging for the UEFA places. he certainly has a squad which is better than scraping past Burnley at the very death. And that is no disrespect to Burnley.

He then goes off and says he will not play a strong side against Man U in the cup? If he was Johnny Foreigner, he would be harangued for not showing the passion needed to be a manager in the best league in the world (tm), and for disrespecting the greatestestestest cup competion known to man.

I think the Spurs job is just to big for Harry, as will be shown when they are (hopefully) relegated in May.
    I quote this for many reasons. One of which is you won't be able to delete it.
    First and foremost Harry Redknapp has done a good job at previous clubs. He left West Ham and they went down within two seasons, the first time he left Portsmouth they were in tatters shortly afterwards, and it looks like they are again and he is only gone a couple of weeks.
    Its quite clear that you don't like the man, and are ready to criticise him at any opportunity.
    He is now getting his first opportunity to buy some players, and in fairness he has inherited a team that has been underperforming for some time. Two of their most consistent and influential players were sold amid controversy during the summer. They don't have a goalkeeper of note, Robinson was better than anyone thats there right now, I'm glad we got him, he has been superb for us this season.
    So any criticism of Harry Redknapp and his performance at Spuds should be left until the summer at the very least.
    He led Portsmouth to the FA cup last year, the first non big four team to win it in 12 years. He has over 1000 games as a Manager with almost a 40% win record.

TBH I think he's just being realistic about it, his priority is the league first and foremost by a long shot, ain't nobody going to be praising him if he gets to three cup finals, wins one or two of them but gets relegated. He's going to send a 'mish mash' of players up to us because as he stated he can't afford to lose his main players when he's in such a battle, he's already said before he'd prefer not to be in the UEFA cup aswell so that he can concentrate his squad on the league. He inherited a team with poor form and a squad that was badly assembled, can't criticise him for that.

• Advertisement

Not to worry they're will be lots of chances for this in the remainder of the season, thumping in a second rate cup final, relegation after poaching every player in site, Harry walking out to manage a club ''with a special place in he's heart'', Arsenal winning the champions league ......etc. etc. :p

Nearly had it up to there...

In among the bluster from 'ol Steptoe there was a kernel of truth last night...the players at his disposal for last night's tie showed very little passion or desire to win. At half time a mate posted on a Spurs board:
    [Redknapp's use of the squad] i know he's always banging on about having a small squad but he should use more of the players he does have

eg when is huddlestone going to get a game?

Funny cos it's true, I didn't see the line up before the game started and it was about 30mins in before I realised Hudd was on the pitch. Assou-Ekotto is another one who bottled the game last night, at times he looks like he has the attributes to make him at worst a competent PL full back, yet his self-confessed dislike of football (I kid you not, in an interview with a French media outlet he admitted he does not like football, and only plays it because it pays a good wage :eek:) shows too often in his languid, "I can't be arsed" approach to the game. O'Hara and Zokora are both quite limited players, I'm reluctant to be too critical of either because I feel they both wear their hearts on their sleeves, and Bentley was never going to deliver quality with too midgets playing up top. That's where I have a problem with 'Arry's team selection last night, but then I felt when Pavlyuchenko came on he looked like he was on autopilot so what was Redknapp to do? I've my doubts about Pav's temperament, he went off on Sunday after what looked like a fairly innocuous challenge yet was fit enough to play last night? Goes back to Redknapp's comments re. will to fight for the club, is he the type of player you want in a relegation fight? Finally, that game was hardly ideal to hand a debut to a kid who's lost his way in the game, but Alnwick was truly awful between the sticks...makes you wonder just how bad Cesar has been for 'Arry not to risk him playing...

Just for the record, we were missing Gomes, Corluka, Hutton, King, Lennon, Jenas and Bent last night. Gomes, Corluka nd King would all have made a difference IMO. Lennon would have offered an attacking threat from the mdfield, and pushed Burnley back somewhat. Instead, an old fashioned Championship side with a partisan crowd playing in blustery conditions gave a right old go of it, and nearly caused the upset of the cup.

Look at the absences through injury I've mentioned above...then look at where we are in the PL. With the greatest of respect, we have much higher priorities than putting on a good show at Old Trafford, and I'll make no apologies for that. Wigan visited WHL at the start of the year in the 3rd round and rested 7 players (including Zaki, Heskey, and Kirkland) for the 3rd round tie...did Steve Bruce get grief for that decision?

They don't have a goalkeeper of note

I'm sorry, but if you truly believe that then you've not been watching much of Spurs for the last two months. Gomes has been one of the few shining lights since the slump in form started under Redknapp, there's a reason why our goal difference is healthier than most of the sides we're fighting against relegation with.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm sorry, but if you truly believe that then you've not been watching much of Spurs for the last two months. Gomes has been one of the few shining lights since the slump in form started under Redknapp, there's a reason why our goal difference is healthier than most of the sides we're fighting against relegation with.
    +1

Gomes has seriously upped his game after a horrible start. In the last two months, he hasnt made any mistakes (at least no howlers), and has made some fantastic saves.

Advertisement