Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getty Images

• 21-01-2009 9:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭

Just got the Flickr/Getty Images email asking to use some of my images....some weird portraits I'd shot? Anyone else get this? I'm guessing its mass emails to Flickr users?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

pete4130 wrote: »
    Just got the Flickr/Getty Images email asking to use some of my images....some weird portraits I'd shot? Anyone else get this? I'm guessing its mass emails to Flickr users?

Yep, got one before crimbo and again not of images I cna see wanyone looking at never mind paying for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

how much they paying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Think its $0.20 per image sold form what I could make out.

holy moley! they're probably making a killing on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Nah, they make their killings on people who let their Pro accounts run down and then have to get their pictures back.....:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

$0.20 is around the standard for stock images.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

City-Exile wrote: »
    $0.20 is around the standard for stock images.

Not if it's fotolia, istock or stockxpert and these aren't the smallest sites.

sasar wrote: »
    Not if it's fotolia, istock or stockxpert and these aren't the smallest sites.

Unless you're giving exclusive rights to an image, you'll rarely get more than 20c per use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I'd say the photographers in this case are going to get screwed from both sides of the equation. They sign away a two year EXCLUSIVE deal with Getty. Prohibits commercial use of your picture in any circumstance for two years. Getty sell on the images as rights managed but royalty free for unlimited use. I'd like to see how much actually ends up in the photogs pocket but I bet its approaching microstock rates or something similar.

I'd say Yahoo has been chafing at the bit for years now trying to find some way of monetizing flickr. Looks like they've finally hit paydirt. Getty and Yahoo will be making all the cash here, not the photographers.

Unless you're giving exclusive rights to an image, you'll rarely get more than 20c per use.

Not strictly true. I sell (and I think Sasar does too) a lot of images through stock sites with no exclusive rights and I regularly make up to $28 per image. I actually sell none at 20c. If you're not sure of your facts you shouldn't really make these kind of statements ;)

• Advertisement

I'd say the photographers in this case are going to get screwed from both sides of the equation. They sign away a two year EXCLUSIVE deal with Getty. Prohibits commercial use of your picture in any circumstance for two years. Getty sell on the images as rights managed but royalty free for unlimited use. I'd like to see how much actually ends up in the photogs pocket but I bet its approaching microstock rates or something similar.

I'd say Yahoo has been chafing at the bit for years now trying to find some way of monetizing flickr. Looks like they've finally hit paydirt. Getty and Yahoo will be making all the cash here, not the photographers.

That is taking it up the behind alright. I know microstock sites have a bad rap (perpetuated IMO by the City's type of posts), but there's no way they are this bad. if Getty are getting exclusive rights for an image for two years for $.20, they are taking the p1ss completely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Not strictly true. I sell (and I think Sasar does too) a lok of images through stock sites with no exclusive rights and I regularly make up to $28 per image. I actually sell none at 20c. If you're not sure of your facts you shouldn't really make these kind of statements ;)

Really ? Maybe the prognosis isn't too grim then. Although does anyone actually -know- what sort of rates Getty are offering ? I can't seem to find anything concrete.

Getty Images will hand-select photographers from flickr, and tie up their images in their standard exclusive agreement and compensation schedule. This means 20% on royalty-free images, and an average 35% on rights-managed images.

http://blog.photoshelter.com/corp/2008/07/how-getty-is-killing-the-stock.html

If you're not sure of your facts you shouldn't really make these kind of statements ;)
    (perpetuated IMO by the City's type of posts), but

Do you mind not taking such an ignorant tone with me!
    I don't appreciate your attitude and belive it should be possible for you to make a point, without being downright rude.

Many stock sites offer 20c/30c/50c per use, which could amount to $28, or more, depending on how often the image is used. Getty are following this trend.

This is an example of such a pricing structure.

Do you mind not taking such an ignorant tone with me!
    I don't appreciate your attitude and belive it should be possible for you to make a point, without being downright rude.

Many stock sites offer 20c/30c/50c per use, which could amount to $28, or more, depending on how often the image is used. Getty are following this trend.

This is an example of such a pricing structure.

I'm sorry, I didn't really mean to be rude, but surely I am allowed an opinion?

You are still largely wrong in what you are saying. I didn't mean that combined sales would amount to $28, I meant that I've had single, individual sales on non-exclusive images though microstock sites for $28. I'm not sure if you were being purposely misleading when you said that, but you are just giving half the story. See here for the full payments schedule

Just out of curiosity I calculated my average commission per image...
    istock 1.05$
    fotolia 1.24$
    stockxpert 0.71$
    and this is without exclusive rights. Shutterstock is the only site that I know of with a set commission of 0.25$.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

This is informative - thanks to all concerned.

sasar wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity I calculated my average commission per image...
    istock 1.05$
    fotolia 1.24$
    stockxpert 0.71$
    and this is without exclusive rights. Shutterstock is the only site that I know of with a set commission of 0.25$.

Thanks for calculating the different rates.
    Reason, perhaps, to avoid Shutterstock.

This is also incorrect. Shutterstock has a whole schedule of payments, starting at $.25. See above post. I get a much higher number of downloads from my shutterstock a/c that either Fotolia or iStock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

"the terms between Getty and these photographers will be the exactly the same as the terms between any other photographers"
    from the BJP
    http://www.bjp-online.com/public/showPage.html?page=836123

Looks like they're planning on rolling this out in March

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I would be interested to know, from those who use them, what they think of the micro sites. How many uploads and the kind of returns both in volume of downloads and income? (if that's not too personal).

I have always had the opinion (based more on heresay that fact) that micro sites weren't worth the trouble. If this is not true I might dip my feet in the water. What sites are best?

Maybe I should start a thread on the subject?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

pete4130 wrote: »

I just got an email from them today, reading this thread I'm in two minds because a lot of them are portraits of my family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Hugh_C wrote: »
    I just got an email from them today, reading this thread I'm in two minds because a lot of them are portraits of my family.

Could be interesting Hugh.

The wife 50c
    Child 25c
    Self Portrait $28

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

:):pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I know this is an old thread but....
    Just got an e-mail from Paypal saying I got paid €144.01 from Getty images. I thought it was a hoax but checked paypal and there was the money!
    ESPN EMEA (Europe) bought it for $590.32. I get a royalty rate of 30% so ended up with $177.10.
    It's made my (financial) day anyway,
    Pa.
    This is the image-
    3966634507_3590225921_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

GREAT PHOTO :) Me likes it :)
    dinneenp wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread but....
    Just got an e-mail from Paypal saying I got paid €144.01 from Getty images. I thought it was a hoax but checked paypal and there was the money!
    ESPN EMEA (Europe) bought it for $590.32. I get a royalty rate of 30% so ended up with $177.10.
    It's made my (financial) day anyway,
    Pa.
    This is the image-
    3966634507_3590225921_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Ettna

Reading "Summertime by J.M Coetzee" at the moment and noticed that the image on the cover is copyright Getty Images. As this book is likely to sell a huge number of copies, would love to know how much does the photographer get for their image.
    51T3GuR7eeL._SS500_.jpg

a lot of novels now use stock shots. I guess it's a lot cheaper for the publishers

Advertisement