Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so how important is the leaving?

Options

Comments

K4t wrote: »
    You're posts are bloody brilliant.

Ha, I doubt that now! I just hate when people are stupidly arrogant, especially when they're wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

Ha, I doubt that now! I just hate when people are stupidly arrogant, especially when they're wrong.

WTF:mad:

ok then yes the lc doesnt matter at all, because you are going to be a world famous guitar player(oh wait actually an underground 'alternative' guitar player) and don't need a good leaving cert at all at all.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Not important at all, until you don't have a good one, then it suddenly becomes important.

WTF:mad:

ok then yes the lc doesnt matter at all, because you are going to be a world famous guitar player(oh wait actually an underground 'alternative' guitar player) and don't need a good leaving cert at all at all.:rolleyes:

You still don't get it do you? How complicated is this to understand: The Leaving Cert. is as important as you want it to be. Now, I'll try to explain it.

If your goal is to achieve something that only college can give you, then, yes, you would consider the Leaving Cert. to be important. If you achieved your goal, then, in your eyes, you're successful.

If your goal is to be a "famous guitar player" (to use your eloquent example), and you achieve this, then, in your eyes, you're successful.

If your goal is to travel the world and live as a bum, and you achieve this, then, in your eyes, you're successful.

If your goal is to sit on your arse for your life, and you achieve it, then, in your eyes, you're successful.

My point is there is no objective measure of ones level of success. It's completely subjective; hence, you're wrong to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

well lc is kinda important, ya know the future kinda depends on it, especially if ya wanna do some course that needs a lot of points. i mean yeah afterwards it doens't matter too much, but its sort of a gateway to your future life

• Advertisement

Mario007 wrote: »
    well lc is kinda important, ya know the future kinda depends on it, especially if ya wanna do some course that needs a lot of points. i mean yeah afterwards it doens't matter too much, but its sort of a gateway to your future life

well said mario

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I don't suppose you read any of the posts where it was stated that there's other ways to get into the course you want, no? The LC is merely one (probably the most direct, admittedly) route. That is of course making the assumption that you even want to go to college in the first place. It's not as if failing/not doing at all/getting <300 points (shock horror, pepsicokeacola!) heralds the end of your life, perhaps merely a change in direction, if it's not something you were planning on.

look i dont mean to sound like a bastard or anything, but for me leaving cert is what separates the smart people from those messers in class with no aim in their lives whatsoever. To be honest leaving cert is important cos you put it on your cv everytime, no matter what kind of degree you get afterwards. And if you want to actualy achieve something in your life then leaving cert is when you have to prove that you can go through the pains of just studying for about half a year to do great, after that its pretty much smooth sailing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

daelight wrote: »
    After recent rant here about going through school in Ireland...

I failed the LC back in 96 (failed English and Maths, passed French) because of ill health (helped along by 5 years of bullying). Didn't repeat - worked in Supermarket then worked in many companies after that, traveled a bit - now in Tokyo working in IT :eek: There's a few stories in between all of that of course.

It just depends on what you want to do - go to Uni then yes its important. For sure, don't let a piece of paper tell people your ability - tell them yourself.

Good luck

Do you speak japanese. I'm hoping to do a Bus. course in DCU with Japanese. Do ypu know if it's hard??

im still suprised japanese hired a non-japanese? i didnt think it happened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

People also have sex before marriage.

I know, I was surprised too!

EDIT:
    For the relevancevencancelled:
    Leaving Cert is Leaving Cert. Just a stepping stone, alternate routes and so forth.

Why? Are you saying they descriminate against foreighners or simply you thought they didn't hirer foreigners

ye only 1% of the workforce is non-japanese

oh but thats only compared to our power levels theirs are OVER NINE THOUSAND:D

But maybe foreigners don't apply for jobs there. But whatever, I don't want a debate so...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,566 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

well i know on the one hand it's the most imortant exam of your life in that it can decide your ciurse and thus your life ,car,house,social life etc.
    I'll nip this in the ass right now.

College in and of itself only gets you so far. There are many ways to get a successful job - like working from the bottom and working your way up; or getting a degree and working inside of a specialty. College will help, naturally, but not having a degree will not prevent you from having a good job and a big house and a nice car, and money wont buy you friends or happiness. So don't get into the idea of thinking the Leaving Cert is all or nothing - those that do, typically, do poorly because they worry about it too much.
    OVER NINE THOUSAND

9001 is the magic number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Points won't take you places.

Personailty will.

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Points won't take you places.

Personailty will.

ha also looks do...but only when you're a girl:D

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

look i dont mean to sound like a bastard or anything, but for me leaving cert is what separates the smart people from those messers in class with no aim in their lives whatsoever.
    The leaving cert might separate those who pay attention in class from those who do not but it certainly does not give an indication of your intelligence, just your ability to regurgitate information on exam day. Also if you don't want to go to college then the leaving cert is almost irelevant and just because you don't go to college it doesn't mean that your a failure. Success is measured by hapiness not exam results.so even if you kill yourself getting a degree in medicine but hate it then you are a failure as all your hard work is useless. However if you fail the leaving and geta job as a truck driver then you are a successs.

The leaving cert might separate those who pay attention in class from those who do not but it certainly does not give an indication of your intelligence, just your ability to regurgitate information on exam day. Also if you don't want to go to college then the leaving cert is almost irelevant and just because you don't go to college it doesn't mean that your a failure. Success is measured by hapiness not exam results.so even if you kill yourself getting a degree in medicine but hate it then you are a failure as all your hard work is useless. However if you fail the leaving and geta job as a truck driver then you are a successs.

well let me tell you mostly those that dont pay attention in class are those who are pretty stupid, no disrespect. Also are you trying to say that if all you do in your life is hang about with your friends and pick fights random passer bys cos you're too drunk to do anything else, which is the case in most of the towns in the country, and taking the dole you're a success just cos you're happy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

well let me tell you mostly those that dont pay attention in class are those who are pretty stupid, no disrespect. Also are you trying to say that if all you do in your life is hang about with your friends and pick fights random passer bys cos you're too drunk to do anything else, which is the case in most of the towns in the country, and taking the dole you're a success just cos you're happy?

Well I'd hazard a guess that anyone who drinks all day wouldn't be the happiest person alive. But a job is just a way to earn money. If someone feels happy on the dole their whole life then why would they change unless forced?

Well I'd hazard a guess that anyone who drinks all day wouldn't be the happiest person alive. But a job is just a way to earn money. If someone feels happy on the dole their whole life then why would they change unless forced?

well maybe because that person is really a burden to the society, though i hate using that phrase. you shouldn't really be getting a dole just cos you couldn't be bother to work, but thats a totally different topic.
    lets just leave it at that the leaving cert is a gateway to future life and depends on yourself how greatly you wanna open that gateway

My my, where did you get such a fantastically large brush? And such glossy tar to go with it, and all.
    Those who don't pay attention are more likely to do poorly in exams, yes, so if you define "stupid" as meaning "does badly in exams", they end up being stupid. Whether or not any particular stupidity is what leads them not to pay attention is another thing, however. I know I rarely paid attention in French class, and I'm fairly sure I'm not stupid. I was just bored off my face.
    And, well, the person you described above might not be considered a success in the eyes of others, but if their life makes them genuinely happy (I can't understand how anyone can be deeply happy with a life like that, though), then they are a success to them. Success is not just "grow up, do well in school, get a respectable job, raise 2.9 chidlren, live in the suburbs".

The LC as a gateway to college is a path to one particular future, which does not suit everyone.

My my, where did you get such a fantastically large brush? And such glossy tar to go with it, and all.
    Those who don't pay attention are more likely to do poorly in exams, yes, so if you define "stupid" as meaning "does badly in exams", they end up being stupid. Whether or not any particular stupidity is what leads them not to pay attention is another thing, however. I know I rarely paid attention in French class, and I'm fairly sure I'm not stupid. I was just bored off my face.
    And, well, the person you described above might not be considered a success in the eyes of others, but if their life makes them genuinely happy (I can't understand how anyone can be deeply happy with a life like that, though), then they are a success to them. Success is not just "grow up, do well in school, get a respectable job, raise 2.9 chidlren, live in the suburbs".

The LC as a gateway to college is a path to one particular future, which does not suit everyone.

well if you dont pay attention in class and/or disturb,as is the likely case you are what is considered stupid. not paying attention cos its boring is simply called being a student:D
    so are you saying that leaving cert is nothing and all, sure you can just be happy with a life of stacking shelves?

well if you dont pay attention in class and/or disturb,as is the likely case you are what is considered stupid. not paying attention cos its boring is simply called being a student:D
    so are you saying that leaving cert is nothing and all, sure you can just be happy with a life of stacking shelves?
    What is considered stupid is not something I worry about too much, tbh. But yes, messers usually don't do well in tests.

And... well, if a life of stacking shelves makes you happy, then why not? I wasn't talking about exactly WHAT makes a person happy here, you must realise. I don't know if working an essentially skilless, unchallenging, impersonal job such as stacking shelves will fulfill a person enough to make them happy, I'd assume not... but it's hard to say. Everyone has different priorities and requirements for happiness, and this is getting all a bit too philosophical for the question at hand. The LC is not the be all and end all of your life. There we go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

It is not unimportant, but not worth killing yourself over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

"It's not about what you achieve, it's about what you enjoy"

What is considered stupid is not something I worry about too much, tbh. But yes, messers usually don't do well in tests.

And... well, if a life of stacking shelves makes you happy, then why not? I wasn't talking about exactly WHAT makes a person happy here, you must realise. I don't know if working an essentially skilless, unchallenging, impersonal job such as stacking shelves will fulfill a person enough to make them happy, I'd assume not... but it's hard to say. Everyone has different priorities and requirements for happiness, and this is getting all a bit too philosophical for the question at hand. The LC is not the be all and end all of your life. There we go.

i actually agree with you there, like my class teacher says:
    Is leaving cert important? Yes it is.
    Is it something worth destroying your health and happiness? No it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

and taking the dole you're a success just cos you're happy?
    I don't know if working an essentially skilless, unchallenging, impersonal job such as stacking shelves will fulfill a person enough to make them happy, I'd assume not... but it's hard to say. Everyone has different priorities and requirements for happiness, .

The people who are stacking shelves or on the dole could be incredibly happy because not everyone bases happiness on what their job title is. For a lot of those people family or a hobby like sport or music is what they live for. The shelf stacking is what they do to finance the things that are really important to them.

Another thing to remember about jobs is that very few people stay doing the same job forever anymore. So what you train to do after the Leaving Cert might not be what you are doing in 10 years time.

I have the degree and can honestly say that in recent years people who never went to college did better financially (builders anyone?) but now with the recession that's changing.

• Advertisement

sunnyside wrote: »
    The people who are stacking shelves or on the dole could be incredibly happy because not everyone bases happiness on what their job title is. For a lot of those people family or a hobby like sport or music is what they live for. The shelf stacking is what they do to finance the things that are really important to them.

Another thing to remember about jobs is that very few people stay doing the same job forever anymore. So what you train to do after the Leaving Cert might not be what you are doing in 10 years time.

I have the degree and can honestly say that in recent years people who never went to college did better financially (builders anyone?) but now with the recession that's changing.

well i can't see someone being happy to be going to a job just waiting to get out of there and then actually do what makes you happy...its almost like the same thing as going to school. and of course living on the dole would be convenient for everyone really, i mean we all want to do nothing and get paid for it. But thats not how things work.
    but i like that point about recession, to be honest with the recession kicking in lc is fairly important.

Advertisement