Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with pc parts

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

yup everything you need will come with the parts, and everything you have picked will be compatible. although probbaly not ideal for a CaD pc.

From any ive seen they usually have a fair bit more ram, and a actually graphics card designed for car like the FireGL cards form AMD/ATI or the quadros from Nvidia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭koolkakool

hi, thanks for the help Anti.

i looked at them quadros before but they all seemed very expensive so i thought something like a 9800gt would do. i suppose i could add a bit more RAM but at the moment i'll be using xp and i heard there's a limit to the amount of RAM xp will accept.something like 3gb i think..?

so would there be a graphics card more suited to CAD for about the same price as that 9800gt?

thanks again for the help :-)

i had another look at them quadros. would you think any of these would be any better than the 9800gt for CAD?

HP NVIDIA QUADRO FX370 256MB

HP NVIDIA QUADRO NVS 290 256MB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

The cards are pretty much the same, the difference is the firmware and drivers. i dont mean the two you linked.

The Geforce cards driversets are designed to give good performance in 3d games.

The Quadro's driver set are to provide superior performance in CaD and the likes.

Yes, xp will limit you to 3.2gb same with vista. But thats the limitiation of a 32bit operating system. If you upgrade to a 64bit os you overcome this.

ok, thanks again.i suppose ill probably go with the 9800gt. them 2 quadro cards dont seem to have great reviews and and rest of the quadros are really expensive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

The case you picked comes with a 450w psu which is probably enough. So no need to get the 600W one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Considering the case I reckon you might as well fling the PSU that comes with it into the bin. Obviously OK that's an exaggeration but have you ever seen their cheap dabs value range/cheap case range that come with PSU's? They weigh less then a dwarfs boot. One review on a similar value case even says that the case has no support for the psu at all apart from the mounting holes meaning that any half decent psu can't really be put in safely without modification...also reading reviews for that particular case, two out of three reviews have fairly seriously bad negative aspects - one says the cooling is really bad, the other says that the backplate won't sit properly.

I would really invest in a half decent case, no remotely decent build should be blackened by some dodgy, cheap looking and cheap costing case/psu combo.

Considering the case I reckon you might as well fling the PSU that comes with it into the bin. Obviously OK that's an exaggeration but have you ever seen their cheap dabs value range/cheap case range that come with PSU's? They weigh less then a dwarfs boot. One review on a similar value case even says that the case has no support for the psu at all apart from the mounting holes meaning that any half decent psu can't really be put in safely without modification...also reading reviews for that particular case, two out of three reviews have fairly seriously bad negative aspects - one says the cooling is really bad, the other says that the backplate won't sit properly.

I would really invest in a half decent case, no remotely decent build should be blackened by some dodgy, cheap looking and cheap costing case/psu combo.

thanks for the advice.i should have looked into it a bit more. i have it changed now anyway

Advertisement