Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sterling Bargains starting to cost jobs - Taxes up next...

Options
  • 21-01-2009 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Superquinn have had to close their Dundalk store due to people going to Northern Ireland shopping.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0121/superquinn.html

Most of the threads here are comparing Irish prices to that of the UK

Yes we were rippped off, yes the prices were high. Yes we have every right to spend our money where we want, but continued money being spent outside the Irish economy is costing jobs and harming the economy and will continue.

If you want less money being spent on health and education because the government has to pay more money on social welfare shop in the North.

If you want to pay more taxes to pay for the increased Social Welfare budget - Shop in the North

If you want to pay more taxes to counteract the loss of VAT receipts - Shop in the North.

You get the picture

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

No, you do not get the picture.

Dundalk is closing not solely because of Nordy shopping, its because of retail competition in the town.
    The place is riddled with a few Dunnes, Tesco, Lidl and Aldi. Its over retailed for a town with a population of about 35,000.

Superquinn is expensive and is getting squeezed out by retailers in ROI, the nordy factor is not the primary reason for the job losses.

Consequently, Aldi just announced a 21% rise in profits in ROI, explain that one.

And btw, the spend on health & education is ginormous, it cannot go any higher, its a resourcing issue in those areas where value for money is non-existent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Also, Aldi and Lidl are expanding in Ireland and probably will do all this year since people are more willing to use their stores now to save money.

People don't want to go to another country to shop in a different currency TBH. If the difference was small, they'd pay extra to shop down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

The fact that Superquinn were going to shed jobs has been known since Fergal Quinn sold it. There was no secret made of the fact that the new crowd may off load some stores and staff. It's just conveniently falling into the whole economy scare as it's happening now, it could have happened last year of next.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I know I'll sound like one of those idiots that post stuff without backing it up here but I can't name names as it's private info at the moment.

I know of one foreign company that does business in UK & Ireland (supplies to Irish shops). They're laying off 25% of their Irish staff here because the shops here are sourcing their product from the UK base (at the moment). The head office doesn't seem to care as it wants to sell product and it's cheaper for them to deal through the UK office.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kwinabeeste

My point is not specific to superquinn, but more do to with money leaving the irish economy. Probably should have made that clear :-)

Superquinn may not have been financially viable in Dundalk for other reasons than the Stg, but there are other shops all around Ireland that are affected by the Ex rate. Electronics and cars are one of the items that bought up North that would affect the Irish Shops.

Suppose only time will tell on this. Will be interesting to see if the projected 30% of shops will be closed by Easter will be true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

During the boom years Superquinn charged more for what people considered to be quality products and a better shopping experience.
    Now we're broke it's off to Lidl, bottom line- Superquinn is too expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

The Superquinn in my home town is ALWAYS empty and has been for the last year or so. Anytime now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

My point is not specific to superquinn, but more do to with money leaving the irish economy. Probably should have made that clear :-)

John Ruddy in the RTE column was also complaining about it, and it drives me insane. Things, from books, electronics to DVDs are well overpriced in this country (Even before the drop in the pound).

Why can't the Irish shops drop prices instead of moaning... I'd even encourage cross-boarder shopping so prices in the country might drop.

I was in Galway over Christmas when it was almost parity and a Rolex would have cost you €2,200 less if bought in London. Even if you have that sort of loose change in your pocket, 2K is still 2K.

Consumers will always, ALWAYS, go for the cheaper option. That's why Ryanair and Wal-Mart are what they are today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Superquinn can never survive while it charges 20% more than the rest. The writing is on the wall as it is too small to rival Tesco/Dunnes. I just dont think the retailers down here get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

Welcome to the European Union!

That's what we signed up for; worlds largest market and all that. If southern retailers are finding that they cannot compete well I'm sorry I have no sympathy for them. Business here has tried to screw every last penny from their customers and now that said customers have said, 'feck this, we're off to the UK and anywhere else that's cheaper.' Southern vested interests suddenly start whining.

If I have €200 euros in my pocket to feed and clothe my family I will take that money where I can get the best value. I will not support an unsustainable market just to protect the profit margins of overstuffed merchants.

If the govt. had spent our money where it should have been spent, instead of say on junkets and hair do's we wouldn't be in this mess.

Riv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

It just annoys me that my local Superquinn has their "don't go to Newry, look at the savings here" signs and I go in and the price of Green & Black's chocolate which has always been €2.99 has gone up to €3.05!!!
    So you can save on teabags, but we'll make up for it elsewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭richardn

Have many of you have actually been to the North to shop?

We have been twice now (from Cork)

Once to Asda in Downpatrick and once to Sainsburys in Sprucefield.

1st spend €700 - savings of approximately €950 didn't fill car - items purchased lasted about 4-5 weeks

2nd visit spend €1200 - savings approximately €1750 and filled car to max, items purchased should last us 10 weeks.

Fuel costs on each trip around €50-60

Journey time leaving 2.45am Saturday morning and arriving at 7.45am

Journey back leaving 3pm arrive back 8.30-9pm

We bought 250 tins of Guinness at 66 pence a tin - down here €2.05 so the Guinness alone saved me €347.50!

The till receipt we have when opened on the floor is about 9 feet in length and only 1 product we bought worked out at the same price as in Cork (Dunnes\Tesco) most products are at least 50% cheaper than in the South.

Other advantages - no need to waste fuel buying stuff in town everyday, just a stroll to garage freezer! So the fuel we spent going up North is saved by not having to shop on a daily basis back home - we only now buy fruit and veg, bread and milk in the South and Beef 'cos ROI Beef is so good and price not much different.

Part 2

Just booked a holiday with Thomson in UK flying from Belfast for a 2 week holiday in Turkey in July for 3 of us - saved €1500 on same holiday flying from ROI Airport - 5 hours in car on way up and 6 on way back to save €1500 - bit of a no brainer! (Might even stop off on way back from Belfast at Sainsburys and do a 4-5 week shop)

I am English. I pay Irish taxes. But, I will not be ripped off :p

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Superquinn Dundalk has been underachieving for years because of the price disparity and they were talking about closing it well before any recession hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I went up for booze for a christmas party.

12 750cl Leffe (wine bottle size - £2, the small ones down here are €2.79!)
    8 33.3cl Kronenburg Blanc
    12 33.3cl Leffe
    18 longneck Bulmer's bottles
    2 bottles of rum.
    1 bottle of Tanqueray gin.
    1 bottle of Laphroaig Whiskey
    24 small cans of Schweppes
    3 party packs of food
    2 bottles of ginger ale

£150.

The bottle of whiskey is half the price it is down here. NUTS!

nitrogen wrote: »
    John Ruddy in the RTE column was also complaining about it, and it drives me insane. Things, from books, electronics to DVDs are well overpriced in this country (Even before the drop in the pound).

Why can't the Irish shops drop prices instead of moaning... I'd even encourage cross-boarder shopping so prices in the country might drop.

I was in Galway over Christmas when it was almost parity and a Rolex would have cost you €2,200 less if bought in London. Even if you have that sort of loose change in your pocket, 2K is still 2K.

Consumers will always, ALWAYS, go for the cheaper option. That's why Ryanair and Wal-Mart are what they are today.

I'm not defending the price differences between here and UK and other Eurozone countries, but I'm saying to protect the Irish economy and Irish jobs, which is our economy and jobs, we should try and keep the money flowing in our country instead of helping the UK etc economy.
    RiverWilde wrote: »
    Welcome to the European Union!

That's what we signed up for; worlds largest market and all that. If southern retailers are finding that they cannot compete well I'm sorry I have no sympathy for them. Business here has tried to screw every last penny from their customers and now that said customers have said, 'feck this, we're off to the UK and anywhere else that's cheaper.' Southern vested interests suddenly start whining.

If I have €200 euros in my pocket to feed and clothe my family I will take that money where I can get the best value. I will not support an unsustainable market just to protect the profit margins of overstuffed merchants.

If the govt. had spent our money where it should have been spent, instead of say on junkets and hair do's we wouldn't be in this mess.

Riv

yeah all good points and i fear for people livin on the breadline, but those "overstuffed merchants" are creating jobs, paying taxes to the government to spend on roads, dole etc. If they close the stores, then there is a two fold hit to the Irish economy. Less tax and more people on the dole. Why can't people see this??

on a side note - how much money has been spent on infrastructre by the Government vs a hairdo in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

I heard of a supermarket in Co Galway that sends a lorry to the north to a wholesaler and sells them here at cheap cheap prices. Though I don't know how true that is. I think I saw an ad for it in the paper (the n17 superstore)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I'm not defending the price differences between here and UK and other Eurozone countries, but I'm saying to protect the Irish economy and Irish jobs, which is our economy and jobs, we should try and keep the money flowing in our country instead of helping the UK etc economy.

yeah all good points and i fear for people livin on the breadline, but those "overstuffed merchants" are creating jobs, paying taxes to the government to spend on roads, dole etc. If they close the stores, then there is a two fold hit to the Irish economy. Less tax and more people on the dole. Why can't people see this??

Its not my responsibility to pay top dollar for basics. I will go elsewhere for them, its human nature of survival.
    Lidl and Aldi are expanding. There will always be those type of retail jobs there.

I posted in another thread that Tesco & Dunnes have reduced their prices on a range of groceries recently so they are responding, but slowly.

gurramok wrote: »
    Its not my responsibility to pay top dollar for basics. I will go elsewhere for them, its human nature of survival.
    Lidl and Aldi are expanding. There will always be those type of retail jobs there.

I posted in another thread that Tesco & Dunnes have reduced their prices on a range of groceries recently so they are responding, but slowly.

Yes they are and I assume they will do it further as the prices come down to a more sustainable level at which they should be at... All I am saying is that while they contract we should try to spend keep the money in Ireland.

Food and essentials are a necessity, but I have heard people going to Newry to buy at 47 inch LCD TV as it was cheaper than in the Republic. They could probably get a 37inch one for the same price. These are not necessities and if people could not spend this money in the UK, then there would be €2000 more in the Irish economy and the money multiplier effects more will stay. If its spent outside then that benefit goes outside of Ireland.

If its spent outside then that benefit goes outside of Ireland.

Frankly, I am not happy with the way the govt. sorts out the tax in this country. From what I've seen living here the govt. parties have taken our tax money and lined their own nests with it; and those in society who should have gotten it were shafted.

Why have medical cards been taken from those who need them? Why are people left on trolleys in a&e? Where are the council houses/affordable housing schemes? Why is it so damned difficult to get your child into a decent school in some areas of the country? Where are the facilities for families and young people in our towns and villages? (Facilities that do not cost an arm and a leg) Where is the efficient and cheap public transport system that will get you to any part of the country quickly and cheaply?

The list is endless. Yet this FF/PD and now FF/Greens fiasco of a govt. has had (Greens apart) more years of ample cash to solve these problems; yet if anything they've gotten worse. Now that the money has miraculously run out the best they can say is, 'tighten your belts in the national interest.'

I'd love to see their definition of 'national interest.' From where I'm sitting 'national interest' in the govt. dictionary equates to 'party interest' and the country can go swing.

So, again until the vested interests in this country actually start to give a damn about the country and the citizens therein I'll continue to shop in Northern Ireland as it is in the best interests of my family.

Riv

RiverWilde wrote: »
    Frankly, I am not happy with the way the govt. sorts out the tax in this country. From what I've seen living here the govt. parties have taken our tax money and lined their own nests with it; and those in society who should have gotten it were shafted.

Why have medical cards been taken from those who need them? Why are people left on trolleys in a&e? Where are the council houses/affordable housing schemes? Why is it so damned difficult to get your child into a decent school in some areas of the country? Where are the facilities for families and young people in our towns and villages? (Facilities that do not cost an arm and a leg) Where is the efficient and cheap public transport system that will get you to any part of the country quickly and cheaply?

The list is endless. Yet this FF/PD and now FF/Greens fiasco of a govt. has had (Greens apart) more years of ample cash to solve these problems; yet if anything they've gotten worse. Now that the money has miraculously run out the best they can say is, 'tighten your belts in the national interest.'

I'd love to see their definition of 'national interest.' From where I'm sitting 'national interest' in the govt. dictionary equates to 'party interest' and the country can go swing.

So, again until the vested interests in this country actually start to give a damn about the country and the citizens therein I'll continue to shop in Northern Ireland as it is in the best interests of my family.

Riv

Your call if people continue to spend in money in the north the Government tax revenue will decrease even further so the very services that you are saying are not funded enough will fall even further.

Shopping in the north are lining the pockets of the Queen through spending in the North.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

Yes they are and I assume they will do it further as the prices come down to a more sustainable level at which they should be at... All I am saying is that while they contract we should try to spend keep the money in Ireland.

Food and essentials are a necessity, but I have heard people going to Newry to buy at 47 inch LCD TV as it was cheaper than in the Republic. They could probably get a 37inch one for the same price. These are not necessities and if people could not spend this money in the UK, then there would be €2000 more in the Irish economy and the money multiplier effects more will stay. If its spent outside then that benefit goes outside of Ireland.

I understand your concern about tax revenue leaving the south but I think you are missing something.
    The prices being set in the south are too high at present, part of this is down to higher taxes and costs. A good proportion is down to profiteering, see extreme example Rolex watch from another poster.

The recession will hurt a lot of people and lots of business's will go belly up, It's a jungle out there. The business's that survive will be the ones that offer value for money or great customer service (or both) It makes no sense to shore up business's that are inefficient and overcharge.

I am sure that Irish business people will grasp the reality of the situation before to long and will give their customers what they want. I could be wrong though.

Your call if people continue to spend in money in the north the Government tax revenue will decrease even further so the very services that you are saying are not funded enough will fall even further.

Greed and incompetence. The hallmark of the past eight years of FF/PD and now FF/Greens in office. If they couldn't solve the problems when they had the cash; why on earth would you think they can solve the problems when the cash is running out?

Riv

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

The prices being set in the south are too high at present, part of this is down to higher taxes and costs.

I agree with you. Rents for premesis down here and the cost of running a business are gigantic. I had a look at opening a business a couple of years ago. When I did the sums we couldn't make it work so I'm still in my 9 - 5 job. We had plenty of money to start the business but we'd have to make a fortune each week to break even. Wages for like for like jobs are also more expensive down here. Compare supermarket jobs here to supermarket jobs up north. That'll sort itself out pretty soon though. With a lot of shopping going up north and jobs being lost down here the wages for everybody will go down.

That'll filter over to everybodys pocket. But then it's a chicken and egg situation. More people losing jobs means more people looking up north for cheaper stuff means more people losing jobs etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

I agree with you. Rents for premesis down here and the cost of running a business are gigantic. I had a look at opening a business a couple of years ago. When I did the sums we couldn't make it work so I'm still in my 9 - 5 job. We had plenty of money to start the business but we'd have to make a fortune each week to break even. Wages for like for like jobs are also more expensive down here. Compare supermarket jobs here to supermarket jobs up north. That'll sort itself out pretty soon though. With a lot of shopping going up north and jobs being lost down here the wages for everybody will go down.

That'll filter over to everybodys pocket. But then it's a chicken and egg situation. More people losing jobs means more people looking up north for cheaper stuff means more people losing jobs etc. etc.

I don't think things will go as you imagine. Some business's will adjust their prices to keep their customers, rents will fall due to supply and demand. Costs will fall due to stiffer competition.

You never know, the government may even look at taxes again.
    :rolleyes:

I understand your concern about tax revenue leaving the south but I think you are missing something.
    The prices being set in the south are too high at present, part of this is down to higher taxes and costs. A good proportion is down to profiteering, see extreme example Rolex watch from another poster.

The recession will hurt a lot of people and lots of business's will go belly up, It's a jungle out there. The business's that survive will be the ones that offer value for money or great customer service (or both) It makes no sense to shore up business's that are inefficient and overcharge.

I am sure that Irish business people will grasp the reality of the situation before to long and will give their customers what they want. I could be wrong though.

Agree with you 100% on the price being to high.

If they are forced to put their prices or go out of business they will put their prices down. But at the moment they aren't on a level playing field as the prices in the North are much lower so people rather than not buying the goods becuse they are priced to high in Ireland, they are going to the North and spending the money earned for the most part in Ireland and giving it to the UK.

All I am sayin that people should not go to the North for non essentials while the prices readjust. Small sacrifice for long term gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Anyone read the metro letters, Superquinn is a serious rip off and people just arn't willing to be ripped off anymore, they were always expensive.
    I worked there part time 4 years ago and we got redundency notices (which mentioned the economic climate at the time as a reason), they were always going to lay off staff regardless of the downturn or people travelling north

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Superquinn has always been a rip off and to me it was pure snobbery that people shopped there. Either that or they were fools for parting with their hard earned cash so easily.

Going up North is the only solution - we have been ripped off for years and only now are SOME shops starting to listen and reduce prices here in the south.

As soon as the shops bring their prices BELOW the North’s shops I will start shopping here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

bcirl03 wrote: »
    Superquinn has always been a rip off and to me it was pure snobbery that people shopped there. Either that or they were fools for parting with their hard earned cash so easily.

Superquinn is the one supermarket I've never been bothered with, even with its repuation for "qualidee". I'm sure its fresh food counters are just TO DIE FOR :rolleyes:, but I'm happy out mixing and matching my shopping between the other supermarkets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

richardn wrote: »
    Have many of you have actually been to the North to shop?

We have been twice now (from Cork)

Once to Asda in Downpatrick and once to Sainsburys in Sprucefield.

1st spend €700 - savings of approximately €950 didn't fill car - items purchased lasted about 4-5 weeks

2nd visit spend €1200 - savings approximately €1750 and filled car to max, items purchased should last us 10 weeks.

Fuel costs on each trip around €50-60

Journey time leaving 2.45am Saturday morning and arriving at 7.45am

Journey back leaving 3pm arrive back 8.30-9pm

We bought 250 tins of Guinness at 66 pence a tin - down here €2.05 so the Guinness alone saved me €347.50!

The till receipt we have when opened on the floor is about 9 feet in length and only 1 product we bought worked out at the same price as in Cork (Dunnes\Tesco) most products are at least 50% cheaper than in the South.

Other advantages - no need to waste fuel buying stuff in town everyday, just a stroll to garage freezer! So the fuel we spent going up North is saved by not having to shop on a daily basis back home - we only now buy fruit and veg, bread and milk in the South and Beef 'cos ROI Beef is so good and price not much different.

Part 2

Just booked a holiday with Thomson in UK flying from Belfast for a 2 week holiday in Turkey in July for 3 of us - saved €1500 on same holiday flying from ROI Airport - 5 hours in car on way up and 6 on way back to save €1500 - bit of a no brainer! (Might even stop off on way back from Belfast at Sainsburys and do a 4-5 week shop)

I am English. I pay Irish taxes. But, I will not be ripped off :p

I would see somebody like you as being more patriotic. The person who pays rip off prices here is the one doing the damage. The shops and govt. will learn soon enough if the consumers are going elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I know someone that works in Superquinns and that person does the weekly grocery shop up north, enough said.

Advertisement