Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sterling Bargains starting to cost jobs - Taxes up next...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Superquinn have had to close their Dundalk store due to people going to Northern Ireland shopping.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0121/superquinn.html

Most of the threads here are comparing Irish prices to that of the UK

Yes we were rippped off, yes the prices were high. Yes we have every right to spend our money where we want, but continued money being spent outside the Irish economy is costing jobs and harming the economy and will continue.

If you want less money being spent on health and education because the government has to pay more money on social welfare shop in the North.

If you want to pay more taxes to pay for the increased Social Welfare budget - Shop in the North

If you want to pay more taxes to counteract the loss of VAT receipts - Shop in the North.

You get the picture

Tell all the above to Superquinn ;)

Superquinn buys goods in Northern wholesalers

Supermarket chain Superquinn has begun buying goods from wholesalers in the North rather than the Republic in order to cut costs.

The retailer has sourced British-made products from the Belfast operation of Makro, a major European wholesaler. Sources said that the move enabled Superquinn to save up to 25 per cent compared with sourcing the same products in the Republic.

http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=IRELAND-qqqm=news-qqqid=39050-qqqx=1.asp

Now do you "You get the picture"

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Lplated

Sunday Business Post story in interesting - considering that RTE main news carried the store closure on wed as a 'look what you've done by shopping in the north' type item.

I've no problem with superquin sourcing their products where they can find them cheapest - that makes good business sense - of course it follows that we should source our goods where we can find them cheapest too - which in my experience has never been superquin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Lets face it, if you all want the middle class to do what is in the best interest then the companies and state have to lead by example.

The Public sector needs to tighten its belts to save the private sector at this stage.

The Private sector needs to stop taking the p*ss. We are all aware there are companies shedding jobs because it is convienient to do so using the recession as an excuse and expecting staff to work over time. They just means less money to be spent in the market. A lot of these companies aren't actually in trouble and are just trying to keep profits up. I know, I work for one and I do all the statistics for this company so I know things aren't as bad as they are making out.

Then you have the likes of the above shopping in North but we should allow ourselves to be ripped off.

There are a lot of people in this country that just need to cope the fook on right now and most of them aren't the workers TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Wife used to work for SQ
    Even with colleague discount, it was cheapper to go to Newry ...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

Ran a business for several years and i can attest to the fact that costs here are enormous. Now the fundamental problem in my opinion is that the extra we pay in the republic does not translate to any of the following:

a)Better goods/services
    b)better wages
    c)better standard of living
    d)better infrastructure

Instead it follows what i call the money funnel where a select few benefit from everyones pocket. Case in point. Say everyone in superquinn (or any other big company) took a 10% pay cut. Does anyone see them dropping prices by 10% , even 5%? Don't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I was up in banbridge yesterday and bought a fair amount of stuff. 1 receipt came to 170 pounds. On the bottom of it the equiv eur price is shown - 240 bleeden eur! If you want another example of rip off ireland here's 1 - was in gogerthy's temple bar last nite and paid 6.10 for a pint of guinness. I mite just have to start drinking up the north as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bulleyes

I went to B&Q in Newry this week. I the process of re-vamping my bathroom. B&Q in Dublin had all the stuff I needed and most was half price in their sale.

Total purchase in Dublin B&Q would have been €3400. Total in Newry B&Q was £2000(stg).2 Hours up, 2 Hours back. Saved €1200.

Not a bad hourly rate and I feel good I didn't accept the daylight robbery we are subjected to on a daily basis. If more people refuse to pay sothern prices the retailers down here will have to bring their prices back to reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

gurramok wrote: »
    Its not my responsibility to pay top dollar for basics. I will go elsewhere for them, its human nature of survival.
    Lidl and Aldi are expanding. There will always be those type of retail jobs there.

I posted in another thread that Tesco & Dunnes have reduced their prices on a range of groceries recently so they are responding, but slowly.

dunnes and tesco's are reducing some prices but in way that leave customers spending even more! one case is their new range of discounted items they have packs of tortilla crisps which are just a little dearer than aldi/lidl but the dip most people will buy with these is a lot dearer. they have discounted items which will lead customers to spending more in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kwinabeeste

DonJose wrote: »
    Tell all the above to Superquinn ;)

Superquinn buys goods in Northern wholesalers

Supermarket chain Superquinn has begun buying goods from wholesalers in the North rather than the Republic in order to cut costs.

The retailer has sourced British-made products from the Belfast operation of Makro, a major European wholesaler. Sources said that the move enabled Superquinn to save up to 25 per cent compared with sourcing the same products in the Republic.

http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=IRELAND-qqqm=news-qqqid=39050-qqqx=1.asp

Now do you "You get the picture"

ouch!! didn't realise that!!! they should lead by example... but by them doing that they are putting the Irish wholesalers at risk.

I know I am fighting a losing battle here, but i feel my convictions are true.

I know there are huge savings to be made by going to UK and that Irish prices are too high, but there are going to be big redundancies in the retail sector in Ireland over the coming months because of this.

Do people genuinely want their family, neighbours and friends unemployed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Lay off the guilt trip, nobody wants to see that.
    Do you have friends working in hotels or tourism? So do you feel the same about people who holiday abroad when there are vacant rooms and packages here?

I read the Aldi profits in Ireland were up 21% and both Aldi & Lidl are opening new stores. So there is profit to made in retail but Superquinn obvioulsy choose the wrong model here.
    And also Lidl is a decent employer, retail staff earn more then Tesco and Dunnes. And money is fantastic for graduate management even if the work/life balance is horrendous.

People won't go to NI unless the difference is so large they'd be crazy not to.
    Sure people have ripped off by banks for years but it's more common for your marraige to break up then move your banking business.
    So welcome to the European Union, compete to survive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Its quite simple. Irish wholesalers need to cope on if they want to keep business. They'll go under when there is no retailers to buy their products.

The real question is that what Irish wholesalers want? And if its the people above them then is it what they want?

Whoever the over charging is starting with is going to have to wake up or they will be getting no money from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,528 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

ouch!! didn't realise that!!! they should lead by example... but by them doing that they are putting the Irish wholesalers at risk.

I know I am fighting a losing battle here, but i feel my convictions are true.

I know there are huge savings to be made by going to UK and that Irish prices are too high, but there are going to be big redundancies in the retail sector in Ireland over the coming months because of this.

Guilt trip or what!

People want bargins, simple as that and we have been ripped off for years and years. Plenty of these shops could lower prices to match those in the north. And I dont buy the higher costs bs tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kwinabeeste

mikemac wrote: »
    Lay off the guilt trip, nobody wants to see that.
    Do you have friends working in hotels or tourism? So do you feel the same about people who holiday abroad when there are vacant rooms and packages here?

My dad is in catering, so yes. I also holiday abroad. This is a once or twice a year scenario. If people are grocery shopping in NI its every week and more than what I spend in Spain, France etc. There is also people travelling to Ireland on holidays, but not many NI people coming to Ireland to shop. So there is a difference... I think!
    mikemac wrote: »
    People won't go to NI unless the difference is so large they'd be crazy not to.. ..So welcome to the European Union, compete to survive

Yeah welcome to the EU. The impact of the Euro vs other currencies are now hurting countries. There is probably the same situation in Germany to Poland etc.

Wonder would tarriffs from non eurozone members be needed ;)JOKE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

With the decline in manufacturing and other 'non-skilled' industries in the south we need to invest in education and training. That means that everyone has to have access to education and training. Proper, decent education that isn't 'flower arranging for beginners.'

We need to smash the cherry picking idiocy that means people have to go to the UK to study. Why is it that the current education system auto-scraps people who decide for whatever reason to either not go on to third level from the leaving cert and/or drop out. That's assuming you can actually get a place in college, pay the registration fees, pay for your books and then find money to live if you intend to study full-time.

If Ireland wants to compete with our european neighbours we need to upskill. The current insanity where you almost need a letter from God to get into college and training has to end.

Riv

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Tescos in ardkeen in waterford are cutting jobs as well as reducing opening hours. One guy I know who works there says there down on profits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

mikeym wrote: »
    Tescos in ardkeen in waterford are cutting jobs as well as reducing opening hours. One guy I know who works there says there down on profits.

Ah that's capitalism for you - profits down -cut staff and eventually cut shop opening hours and worst case scenario - close shop - more people out of work - God forbid they'd cut prices or do anything to show loyalty to their customers.

If these former shop employees are forced to go on the dole they get a lecture and a whole host of hurdles to jump through.

Gotta love modern Ireland

Riv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Here's how i see it:

Scenario 1: We do our patriotic duty and shop in the south. Tescos/Dunnes etc keep their prices as is since everyone puts up with it. Meanwhile people lose jobs in the recession and are on near starvation levels because they can't afford basics.

Scenario 2: We go to the North and shop there. The penny (or the cent) drops for Tescos and Dunnes and they drop prices. Some people are let go, but the economy picks up a bit because people have a bit more to spend in other areas, and a lot of the people going North start to shop here again because it's not worth the hassle anymore because the difference is smaller. Tescos and Dunnes hire again.

This patriotic argument is ridiculous anyway. Hardly anything we buy is made in Ireland and Tescos is a UK chain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

mikeym wrote: »
    tesco's carlow store is also cutting opening hours and closing at midnight from last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

And still we wait for the shops down here to get real with the prices :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

Going to wait a long time i reckon. Much easier to cut staff , hours etc and blame it on the new catch all excuse the "current economic climate".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Sleipnir wrote: »
    I went up for booze for a christmas party.
    12 750cl Leffe (wine bottle size - £2, the small ones down here are €2.79!)
    8 33.3cl Kronenburg Blanc
    12 33.3cl Leffe
    18 longneck Bulmer's bottles
    2 bottles of rum.
    1 bottle of Tanqueray gin.
    1 bottle of Laphroaig Whiskey
    24 small cans of Schweppes
    3 party packs of food
    2 bottles of ginger ale

£150.

The bottle of whiskey is half the price it is down here. NUTS!

Have lived on the border for most of life so getting cheap stuff up north is nothing new but it has gone nuts with the recent currency movements.

Before Christmas, I bought the following:

5 x Bottles of Morgan Spiced Rum
    1 x Havana Club Rum
    1 x 750ml bottle of Finlandia Vodka
    6 x 12 packs of Corona

Whole lot came just under £130. A bottle either run ranges from €28 to €32 down here and I doubt I need to tell folk how much Corona is.

Then, this week I bought a new Onkyo Home Cinema Amp, Front Speakers and Speaker Stands. The Amp alone was marked at €700 in Harvey Normans. The best price they would offer me was €500. So I drove up to Belfast and got the Amp, Speakers and Stands for €515.

We are being shafted down here. I would like to dress it up a little but we are being fleeced completely. Whether it is down to suppliers or shop owners is a different argument but I am looking forward to the day when half of them are stone broke like the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I am looking forward to the day when half of them are stone broke like the rest of us.
    If they have it so good compared to us, then why are more of us not packing in our jobs and becoming one of them?

If you cannot compete you just go bust, there is no point trying to compete, just find a new business. Farming pineapples in Ireland is not a viable enterprise so people do not do it, selling computer parts, cds etc is becoming a less and less viable business too.

Home grown pineapples/electronics are a ripoff here, so buy elsewhere and stop whinging, the farmers/retailers cannot compete, I doubt they are raking it in, some people think they are profiting by the exact difference in price charged to the customer. It is a free market, everybody would be retailers if it was really so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

The problem with Ireland is that its not a free market.

Cartels involving distributors, chains, insurers, goverenment interferance and a property boom have messed up our market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Rod & Reel

The problem with Ireland is that its not a free market.

Cartels involving distributors, chains, insurers, goverenment interferance and a property boom have messed up our market.

totally agree with this post.
    a simple example in portlaosie not so long ago each and every petrol staion were charging the same price.
    where was the customers choice of value. no where. ur 100% rite in ur posting it is a cartel market.
    if they all charge the same well then they wont know the real price. ( which would be signicant lower if we did)

Advertisement