Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beer league

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭knightmare

Wrassler's XXXX v O'Hara's Red

Galway Hooker v O'Hara's Stout (bottled)

MM Plain v TSB

Brainblásta v Clotworthy Dobbin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Wrassler's XXXX v O'Hara's Red : I adore the stuff.

Galway Hooker v O'Hara's Stout (bottled): A great beer.

MM Plain v TSB : Had the TSB only last night, bit underwhelmed. Plain is a good stout. Can't believe TSB was chosen over Belfast Ale. An outrage!

Brainblásta v Clotworthy Dobbin : I have not drank Clotworthy, hence cannot give a fair judgement. Not a fan of Brainblasta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

Wrassler's XXXX v O'Hara's Red - got to love the wrassler's my go to beer in the porterhouse
    Galway Hooker v O'Hara's Stout (bottled) - like o'hara's, loved their celebration but the hooker has been my refuge in a (thankfully) growing number of bars the last year
    MM Plain v TSB - dodgy last pint of it that I had, still a decent drop
    Brainblásta v Clotworthy Dobbin - only had brainblásta a couple of times, i do like the dobbin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Wrassler's XXXX v O'Hara's Red - Lack of availability outside Dublin might have gone against XXXX here, but I do like O'Hara's Red.
    Galway Hooker v O'Hara's Stout (bottled) - Very close call this, but went for the new guy.
    MM Plain v TSB Another close one, but Porterhouse's cask offering sneaks through.
    Brainblásta v Clotworthy Dobbin Again availability may have influenced my call, but I do like a pint of Brainblásta when in Dublin.

If my blatant attempt to bump this thread doesn't get a few late votes in we'll move on to the semifinals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

What style of beer is the wrassler....do they serve it in the bull and castle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Babybing wrote: »
    What style of beer is the wrassler....do they serve it in the bull and castle?

Stout and its only generally available in the porterhouse I believe, but these is town in Dublin center alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

(Tough one to call, but I'll give it to O'Haras simply coz I have more experience with it!! Wrasslers will prob take this one hands down anyway!)

(Very Tough one, but I'll give it to O'Haras again)

MM Plain v TSB
    (MM Plain for me here, TSB is nice, and its great to see a readily available cask but I liked MM Plain more when I had it)

(Just got a suppily of it from the north. Delicious brew, a while since I had Brainblasta. I'll give it to Clotworthy Dobbin.)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

MM Plain v TSB

A complete reverse of above :P

mayordenis wrote: »
    A complete reverse of above :P

...Eh, Thanks for canceling out my votes :D
    I'm not playin anymore :p

slayerking wrote: »
    ...Eh, Thanks for canceling out my votes :D
    I'm not playin anymore :p

no you pre-emptively cancelled mine, I'm the one who should be annoyed here :pac:

• Advertisement

(Hands down Wrassler's)

(Hooker)

MM Plain v TSB
    ( TSB )

(Clotworthy Dobbin, a much better beer)

So the results are:

Wrassler's XXXX 6-2 O'Hara's Red
    Galway Hooker 5-3 O'Hara's Stout (bottled)
    MM Plain 2-6 TSB
    Brainblásta 2-5 Clotworthy Dobbin

And so to the semifinals: (again, randomised)

Galway Hooker v Wrassler's XXXX
    TSB v Clotworthy Dobbin

Starting to get tricky now.
    Should we carry on with the same format?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

noby wrote: »
    Should we carry on with the same format?
    What's the alternative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

Galway Hooker v Wrassler's XXXX very tough call, this would have been my final but just the wrasslers
    TSB v Clotworthy Dobbin - maybe i'm being harsh on the tsb but my last pint of it was poor, and recently discovered another bottle of the dobbin in my stash and thought it really nice

BeerNut wrote: »
    What's the alternative?

No idea. I just mentioned it in case anyone had a suggestion. Keep going as we're going I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Galway Hooker V Wrassler's :
    This would have been my final, if randomness had not dealt its cruel hand. I give it to Wrassler's as I love good stout, and this is one of the best. Kudos to the lads that brew Galway Hooker, they brew a fine beer, and they seem to be good at raising the profile of their product.

TSB v Clotworthy Dobbin

I picked up a bottle of this last week and I enjoyed it. I still prefer their Belfast Ale, but realise I am very much in the minority here. Not a fan of the TSB, I don't care if it came from a cask, or Angelina Jolies nipple, it ain't the beer for me.

Four super beers in the Final 4.

Have to give it to the Hooker

TSB v Clotworthy Dobbin

Clothworthy Dobbin wins this for me. Really made an impression the few times I've had it.

Bitter stout roastiness vs. Bitter hops freshness. Only going to be one winner for me.

TSB v Clotworthy Dobbin
    Clotworthy is a classic, no question. If you're near the Porterhouse over the next while, check out the draught version. Its hoppy nose is amazing.

Incidentally, the winner of the Porterhouse's Michael Jackson Award for Irish Beer -- chosen from a selection of craft beers by an expert tasting panel -- should be known tomorrow afternoon; and in a couple of weeks there'll be the result of the ICB Beer of Year Award -- chosen from all Irish beers by Ireland's online beer enthusiast community. It'll be interesting to see how the different results come out between the three contests.

To hard and emotional to call:p cant we have an everyone get a medal award:D

TSB v Clotworthy Dobbin, (Clotworthy Dobbin)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Wrasslers gives me a hangover

TSB v Clotworthy Dobbin
    Would recommend the draught clotworthy

• Advertisement

we could go with the group format - it might give us a more definative result over the last 4?

Galway Hooker
    Wrassler's XXXX
    TSB
    Clotworthy Dobbin

Galway Hooker vs Wrassler's XXXX
    TSB vs Clotworthy Dobbin

Galway Hooker vs TSB
    Wrassler's XXXX vs Clotworthy Dobbin

Galway Hooker vs Clotworthy Dobbin
    Wrassler's XXXX vs TSB

It doesn't really matter I guess - I just like it is all, removes one semi being stronger than the other.

(This is tough, Both amazing (Prob should have been the final!). Ill give it to Galway Hooker. The roasty bitterness can be too much I suppose that's my reasoning!!!)

TSB v Clotworthy Dobbin
    (Clotworthy Dobbin takes this one for me hands down. Just dont think TSB is as good!!)

Not close for me I'm afraid.

TSB v Clotworthy Dobbin
    :eek: - FU EVERYONE!

TSB v Clotworthy Dobbin

Both very hard to call. I gave my vote to TSB, as I've only ever had one bottlew of CD, and my memory needs refreshing (not that it made a difference with the voting).

So I make that:

Galway Hooker 5-3 Wrassler's XXXX

TSB 2-7 Clotworthy Dobbin

Which leaves: (no randomising necessary)

Galway Hooker v Clotworthy Dobbin

Again, I'll give it about a week. Vote away.

noby wrote: »

Are we allowed to have a draw :p

Run and hides

A great clash of styles for the final. For me it would be the hooker in the summer & the dobbin in the winter but having to choose a winner I'd just about give it to Clotworthy Dobbin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Hooker shades it for me. Clotworthy on tap is great though. If I'd had it more then once it might have won.

I've been imagining someone asking me if I'd like a Clotworthy Dobbin or a Galway Hooker. The refreshing-clean-yet-hoppy-yet-malty Hooker wins every time.

Galway Hooker for me.

• Advertisement

A toughy but for me it's going to have to be Galway Hooker I've come full circle and it's now more or less my first choice when available.

Advertisement