Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gatso van?

Options
  • 21-01-2009 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭

Does anyone know if the white van 07 D (I think), parked up on Bothar na Dtreabh (between Tuam and Headford roads), a Gatso van or just part of the roadworks going on. If its part of the works its parked a good distance away from them. If anyone is driving around there be careful just in case.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

That it a favourite spot of the Gatso van, it's extremely hard not to speed on that road, I try to avoid it if at all possible. I have seen it quite a bit beside the school in Briarhill too.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

Ya I nearly ran in the back of the car in front of me when they hit the brakes hard when they saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I've never seen it on a poor quality/ dangerous section of road.
    Guess it makes a healthy profit.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Gatso?

Garda Speeding Operations? ???

While we're at it, how do I pronounce the "Dtreabh" part of Bothar na Dtreabh? (We could have a whole separate thread about the safe implications of having street and estate names that 10% of the population cannot pronounce ... I dread having to ever ring 112 one day.)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

JustMary wrote: »
    I dread having to ever ring 112 one day.)

Um, they'd just ask you to spell it out if you couldn't say it surely?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Gatso?

While we're at it, how do I pronounce the "Dtreabh" part of Bothar na Dtreabh? (We could have a whole separate thread about the safe implications of having street and estate names that 10% of the population cannot pronounce ... I dread having to ever ring 112 one day.)

dre-ve
    dre as in Dr. Dre

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Gatso?

Drav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 southie

Gatso?

While we're at it, how do I pronounce the "Dtreabh" part of Bothar na Dtreabh? (We could have a whole separate thread about the safe implications of having street and estate names that 10% of the population cannot pronounce
    so your saying they should change something that 90% (your own calculations) of us understand, cause 10% of you could not be bothered to take an irish language class?

No need to take a class, just ask someone.

Anyway, it's not like no one will understand you if you said it the way you think it should be said in your own head. I'm sure the Guards have heard every pronunciation at this stage.

To be honest I don't (and I'm sure a lot of people don't) know half the names of the roads in Galway so if it were be ringing them I'd probably have said the long bendy road between the Tuam road and the Headford road

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Gatso?

Never heard of it before! Presumably it's Bóthar na dTreabh -- with the urú, the "T" becomes silent --> bóthar na "drav", as pointed out by others.

• Advertisement

southie wrote: »
    so your saying they should change something that 90% (your own calculations) of us understand, cause 10% of you could not be bothered to take an irish language class?

Now where did you get the idea that I'm saying they should change it.

IMHO what they should do is put translations or pronunciation guides on the signs.

I've spent both time and money taking a class, and frankly given the appalling standard of teaching it was a total waste. I learned "agus", "arus" and "XXX is anim dom".

PS ... suggest you learn how quotes work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

IMHO what they should do is put translations or pronunciation guides on the signs.

Well they used to have them but if the place/area is in the Irish area's they must only be named by the Irish name.

Saw the van there last night alright was a tad about the stupid limit so hopefully they where busy snapping the jeep pulling a trailor at about 60MPH instead of me :P

Mary - would you fcuk off. If you don't understand the Irish Language, that's your own problem. If you have a problem with the way you were taught in your Irish Class, approach the organisation/teacher. Maybe you're just sh1te at learning things

If you have such a problem with placenames being in Irish, move to the UK

Your linguistic skills are none of my business, and frankly I don't give a flying fcuk, but keep it out of this thread

(Awaits response - this is gonna be epic :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

A post by me in another thread:
    KevR wrote: »
    There was an unmarked gatso van (the new mobile speed camera vans they have) hidden behind a bush on the road between the Tuam Rd RAB and the Menlo Park RAB earlier tonight. I was driving slow (almost sure I wasn't over the limit), as was the car in front of me and the car behind me. There were 2 cars in the right hand lane going slightly faster (they might have been a bit over the limit but they weren't speeding/a danger to themselves or others).

Anyway the camera in the gatso van flashed someone. Could have been anyone really (there were 5 of us passing it at the same time) - hope to god it wasn't me.

When the camera flashed everyone jammed on their brakes (a bit late in the day after it had already flashed :rolleyes:) and the flash almost caused a pile up. :mad:

I'll be raging if I get a ticket for that - I couldn't possibly go any slower on that road without it being dangerously slow..

PS - I think I might take a different route home from work anymore. They have been on the N6 in the City an aweful lot lately in the evenings. Only a matter of time until they do me for being slightly over the limit on one of those 4 lane roads which have the stupidly low speed limits (if they haven't already that is).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

it was pronounced dreve to me,but if ye galway types say so it'll be drav from now on

Treabh is pronounced trav, so the d on front cancels out the T sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭04KY

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Mary - would you fcuk off. If you don't understand the Irish Language, that's your own problem. If you have a problem with the way you were taught in your Irish Class, approach the organisation/teacher. Maybe you're just sh1te at learning things

Your linguistic skills are none of my business, and frankly I don't give a flying fcuk, but keep it out of this thread

I never thought I'd say it, but I agree with Cleary.

I pronounce it 'N6' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Feckin' Sasnach, commin' over ere trying to takeover our road signs!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Feckin' Sasnach, commin' over ere trying to takeover our road signs!
    I do wish the Saxon foe would go about Anglicising the names of all these gerry-built ****box estates of negative equity.

• Advertisement

KevR wrote: »
    A post by me in another thread:

I didn't think the vans had to flash, thought a lot of it is recorded so they can get you anyway. I could be wrong though, nothing new there :p

dcukhunter wrote: »
    I didn't think the vans had to flash, thought a lot of it is recorded so they can get you anyway. I could be wrong though, nothing new there :p

Well it was at night when I passed and it did flash. Might not need to flash during the day..

I might have got away so I was going a bit over but also behind another car as well, no flash for either of us though.

I might have got away so I was going a bit over but also behind another car as well, no flash for either of us though.

I hope you don't get fined and have points put on your licence.

I hope I don't either - hopefully it was one of the other cars in front/behind/beside me that the flash was for..

Not much we can do now anyway but wait and see does anything come through the door. Hopefully not would be annoying to get first points on licence. Its a daft limit to have there anyway very hard to stay within it, had to go back that way again and constantly had to keep look at speedo to try and keep at the limit.

Not much we can do now anyway but wait and see does anything come through the door. Hopefully not would be annoying to get first points on licence. Its a daft limit to have there anyway very hard to stay within it, had to go back that way again and constantly had to keep look at speedo to try and keep at the limit.

I find it distracting trying to keep to the limit there. Keep having to constantly sheck the speedo.

Robbo wrote: »
    I do wish the Saxon foe would go about Anglicising the names of all these gerry-built ****box estates of negative equity.

I understand the City Council's policy is that all new place names in Galway will be Irish, but will use words that are simple enough for non-Irish speakers to say.

(I just wish the Irish could agree on how to say them, and were a bit more gracious about telling the rest of us how to do so.)

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Mary - would you fcuk off. ....

Please, oh please, tell me what I said that made you think I have a problem with place names being in Irish?

And when I'm out for a walk one day, going along a road with a name that I cannot say, or even remember because the unfamiliar letter combinations don't stick in my head, I do hope that the guy who I come across having a heart attack doesn't mind the extra delay while I run down to the nearest street sign! (I was going to say that I do hope it's you, but that's a little nasty :p so I won't.)

That wasn't the aggressive, typical JustMary response I was hoping for. Boo! :p

FWIW I have never had a problem remembering or saying out loud (or in my head) any of the Irish named estates/roads in Galway - Maybe you're just not meant to live in Galway Mary? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Maybe you should take a back seat John, eh? :)

Advertisement