Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17 < 10, Does Not Compute

Options
  • 21-01-2009 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

Got this error whilst trying to search today, surely the "10" isn't hard coded into the $errorSearchFreq string? :P

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Got a similar error many times before..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Been reported a few times.. no real fix I believe.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Yep, no idea what it is, but I'm open to suggestions :)

I've resynchronized the time on the web servers and db, might have an effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've seen that reported a few times around, usually on www.thedailywtf.com

Perhaps there's some form of timestamp kept in the cookie, which relates to the time on the client machine, and it's calculating on that.

/goes off to grasp some more straw

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

CuLT wrote: »
    Yep, no idea what it is, but I'm open to suggestions :)

I've resynchronized the time on the web servers and db, might have an effect.

Honestly! How did you make it this far in IT without the following phrase in your vocabulary: "Oh that... that's not a bug. That's a feature."

Clearly the extended wait time is a deliberate anti-DOS tactic. :D

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I've an idea how this could happen.

The code does something like this:

[PHP]
    if (($time_passed = TIMENOW - $last_search_time) < $flood_protection_time) {
    abort(
    "This forum requires that you wait " .
    $flood_protection_time .
    " seconds between searches. Please try again in " .
    ($flood_protection_time - $time_passed) .
    " seconds."
    );
    }
    [/PHP]

To get a message like the OP did would require $time_passed to be equal to -7. In other words, TIMENOW needs to be 7 seconds before $last_search_time.

TIMENOW is defined very early on in the execution of the page and $last_search_time gets pulled from the search query cache in the database.

So you look at how $last_search_time gets put in the database. In most cases the value entered is TIMENOW (the time value for that earlier search) but in one case they use the value of the PHP function time() directly. That seems odd, and could be the source of the bug but I haven't investigated it properly. Either way, I'm mostly sure that this is not caused by a client <-> server or web server <-> db server time sync issue. It's probably a bug somewhere in vBulletin.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement