Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,384 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Marlow wrote: »
    Click on the picture :) The poster has linked the picture to the ad :)

/M
    Thanks, but picture is not clickable (using Firefox) for me. Still can't see why it's not easier/simpler to just link the ad....

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Esel wrote: »
    Thanks, but picture is not clickable (using Firefox) for me. Still can't see why it's not easier/simpler to just link the ad....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1807127:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

alias no.9 wrote: »
    ... if it had a couple of months tax ...
    ...yer man would still be enjoying it himself

You can pull the actual address for the car add from the pic address, just click on quote and copy the relevant piece of web bla bla bla :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Not really. That seems to be some option in your Firefox then. It works perfectly in Firefox on Linux for me here. Even the Quote in your post is clickable.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Not really. That seems to be some option in your Firefox then. It works perfectly in Firefox on Linux for me here. Even the Quote in your post is clickable.

/M

Works fine in Chrome too. Chrome really is the best browser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Confab wrote: »
    Works fine in Chrome too. Chrome really is the best browser.

Agreed but we shall now face a barrage of insults from the FF people :p

Firefox on Linux /M
    Chrome really is the best browser.
    johnos1984 wrote: »
    Agreed but we shall now face a barrage of insults from the FF people :p

:eek: GEEK ALARM :eek:

This is the motors forum ..feck off :D

peasant wrote: »
    :eek: GEEK ALARM :eek:

This is the motors forum ..feck off :D

Dude. You are contradicting yourself. More geeks in motors than in computers. Define geek, doesn't have to be IT :) Just a different type of geeks.

/M

Dude. You are contradicting yourself. More geeks in motors than in computers. Define geek, doesn't have to be IT :) Just a different type of geeks.

Geek / Nerd ...whatever...

If it doesn't give you black fingernails and bruised knuckles it doesn't belong here :D

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    If it doesn't give you black fingernails and bruised knuckles it doesn't belong here :D

I get more dirt and bruised knuckles from working with IT, than I get from working with cars, so feck off :) But that's entirely off topic.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I'm (hopefully!) going to change cars at the end of the month, lots of cheap Accords have caught my attention - anyone experience with them? The '98-'03 model in particular, 1.8 or 2.0. Are they comfortable? What is fuel economy like? Do the rear seats fold down in the saloons? Anything to watch out for in particular? The previous model seems to rust a bit but these don't seem as bad in that respect.

And also, I take it any hatchback would be a UK import? Didn't even realise they existed until today :) Would much prefer a hatchback, but that would limit my choice significantly in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

A friend of mine had a 2.0 vtec 99 with leather.

Nice car to drive, the most comfortable (literally) seats I've ever sat in.

Very slow though, and he found it hard on fuel.

I've heard someone else say they were slow too, I take it these are all standard old DOHC VTEC engines where you have to rev the shít out of them to get the power? My knackered Fiesta is really bad on fuel now, so I can live with 30-35 MPG but it would be great to get something meaningful out of all that juice :D

Is there a non-VTEC 1.8 in some of these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Well as far as I'm aware his one was a single cam vtec, I can try find out and get a bit less vague information?

Oh yeah it seems they had the F20B6 which is SOHC alright. Also, I hear Honda parts can be expensive?

Is there a non-VTEC 1.8 in some of these?

I don't know, but the 1.8 non VTEC in the older ones was really slow, that was in my Rover 600, not sprightly at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I had a 99 accord 2l there a few months back. Great car, didnt give me any problems at all in the 6months and 7kmiles I had it for. In terms of power, the 2l is about 144bhp, and yep as someone said you have to rev them to get going, so you do be through the gears a good bit. But there is a lovely sound off the engine so I didn't mind reving it ha!

In terms of fuel consumption, I would get anything around 32mpg out of it, 36 at a real push keeping the revs low on the motorway.

In terms of build quality, they are great, really solid car, lovely seats, well put together and very little cheap plastic in sight.

I think the only thing that gives problems in them regularly is the o2 sensor, so bring an obd scantool with you and plug it in and see if the car is throwing up any fault codes when you are looking at one, and the other thing to check is the AC, it can stop working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

And the other thing is the 1.8 is actually 1850cc or so, so very little diff between the tax on it and the 2L, go for a 2L if you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1793312

Year 1996 stright 6 nct 6/11 car is in mint condition 3.2 sports spray work was 2500e 88k x lordmarors car very well cared for will swap 4 van 07 whit money .

only 1500 euro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Ah, but why was it resprayed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Ah, but why was it resprayed?

And why is it in a pikeys yard!?!:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Accords - yes, hatchbacks of that model will be UK cars afaik.
    1.8 is single VTEC. Mostly all 1.8s around, not as many 2.0.
    They are a low seated car compared to modern cars and a tiny bit cramped to get in and out of - bear in mind if back gives ya trouble.
    Should be fairly trouble free. Headlight lenses are plastic and will scratch/fog on the outside - a bit of mild compound and elbow grease should fix it. Electric aerial probably goosed at this age too.
    Found that the 1.8 I had on loan for a while was noticeably slower (really needed the revs) compared to a Mazda 626 2.0, and the brakes were poor. Could just have been that individual car.

If you want a large cheap Jap saloon/liftback, the 626 is a good bangernomics candidate! 1000 (+- 200) should get you a good one. Mostly saloons around tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭a_v525

mayo_lad wrote: »

Year 1996 stright 6 nct 6/11 car is in mint condition 3.2 sports spray work was 2500e 88k x lordmarors car very well cared for will swap 4 van 07 whit money .

only 1500 euro

That was posted before I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

mayo_lad wrote: »

only 1500 euro
    would that van hes looking for be a Hi-Ace so he can fit all those carpets in the back.
    first alarm bell that rings for me is that its not an ex lord mayors car , which would mean its an import ,

second alarm bell 2500e for a fcking respray :confused:
    more like 2500e to get it half straight after it was pulled out from a wall:D

wouldnt touch it with a barge pole.88k yeah right more like 188k hard english driving.

almanu wrote: »
    first alarm bell that rings for me is that its not an ex lord mayors car , which would mean its an import
    Lord mayor thing is still up for debate, but I do remember seeing this car around Kilkee in the summer of '96. It used to be green with black number plates. How would an import get such a low number?
    second alarm bell 2500e for a fcking respray :confused:
    more like 2500e to get it half straight after it was pulled out from a wall:D
    It is a lot of car - that price doesn't sound completely unreasonable for a decent respray. Maybe it was neglected for a few years so needed a lot of work? I don't think I've seen that car since the '90s anyway.
    langdang wrote: »
    If you want a large cheap Jap saloon/liftback, the 626 is a good bangernomics candidate! 1000 (+- 200) should get you a good one. Mostly saloons around tho.

Thanks, 626 is on the list too. How does it compare to the Accord?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Thanks, 626 is on the list too. How does it compare to the Accord?
    Both myself and the owner of the Accord reckoned the steering, brakes and engine power were much better in the mazda.
    Shocks were stiffer on the mazda. (but on 10-12yr old cars all that can just be individual condition obviously)
    Based on all the above I preferred the Mazda

Overall, the mazda started using more and more oil before I finally parked it up at 130k. I reckon it had a hard enough life in terms of oil changes etc before me, and had a life of hard-ish driving once I picked it up! The valve stem seals just seem to give trouble on some mazdas once they reach a certain age, but my oil problems went beyond that I'd say. Clutch was going too but it didn't owe me anything at that stage.

The accord looks ready to go past 200k miles with no engine or gearbox issues.
    Equipment better in the Honda (ES or SE) v Mazda Glx.
    All the locks and door handles gave some trouble on the Honda, some of them also have an issue with a relay in the ignition barrel circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1769126

http://photos.donedeal.ie/donedeal/photos2/Full?id=5009769

Jesus forget about it, i just read the full ad aftr i posted......i do like these tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

deadlast wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1769126

http://photos.donedeal.ie/donedeal/photos2/Full?id=5009769

Jesus forget about it, i just read the full ad aftr i posted......i do like these tho

By the looks of it, id say that car has left some black rings / circles here and there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement