Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Tragedy wrote: »
    It is tired and old.

This could be argued to be bangernomics, you showed us an overpriced dirty, tatty tired old mercedes that has seen far better days, and then the only reason you could give for it being a bangernomics car is "because I like it".

Yawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Why is a 21 year old tired looking low specced 2.3l automatic 130ish bhp Merc bangernomics?

What exactly are you trying to achieve here?

Different strokes for different folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

What exactly are you trying to achieve here?

Different strokes for different folks.
    Sorry, hadn't noticed I was the first person to question whether a car was bangernomics material or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1915274

Horrid wheeds and over priced... But how is it taxed as a 2.0?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,627 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1915274

Horrid wheeds and over priced... But how is it taxed as a 2.0?

Someone handed someone a brown envelope when importing this vehicle into the state :D

mywheels.ie:

Mercedes-Benz S-Class
    S320 A See Images
    Engine: 2.0L
    Fuel Type: Petrol
    Colour: Black

Fierce odd o.O

Can't complain though! :L

It is tired and old.

This could be argued to be bangernomics, you showed us an overpriced dirty, tatty tired old mercedes that has seen far better days, and then the only reason you could give for it being a bangernomics car is "because I like it".

In my opinion :)

The one LimerickMan posted looks ok, it's the sort of drab ole Merc that looked like that since it was 2 years old I reckon. There is always a market for genuine ones like that, I reckon for €900 it would shift and in 12 months time after being a daily runner I reckon one could expect to get most of that back.

The one you linked to has the alarm bells flashing before the add is read due to the colour, steering wheel and gear knob. The market for that is next to nothing as only an enthusiast or someone who changes their car a lot and drives cheap yokes would consider an 20 odd year old Merc Coupe, the bastadised state of it ensures neither of those groups would consider it.

Off topic, Tragedy. I changed the plugs on the ZT yesterday, not as bad as I thought to do the back 3 ones, had to sit on the engine at times though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭v240gltse

lovely lovely car but what does he mean by drive crackling :confused::confused: ???

This will pass its next NCT with very little work (central locking needs attention and fanbelt noisey and drive crackling) .

brendan

Saab Ed wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

It is tired and old.

Emmm, you're kinda contradicting yourself there. The one you linked to has a whole load of after-market tat, no alloys, replaced engine and resprayed, rings a few alarm bells for me. Look at the steering wheel and gearshift *pukes* It's like something you would find for sale at a halting site.
    I'd prefer an original one for reasonable money that I could valet myself in an afternoon.

kazul wrote: »
    .......... It's like something you would find for sale at a halting site.

She's a grand motor boss :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

She never towed a thrailer nayther, boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

v240gltse wrote: »
    lovely lovely car but what does he mean by drive crackling :confused::confused: ???
    Most likely means there's a front CV joint on the way out. Only way to know for sure is to ring the seller or go see it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Tidy looking Legend with a bit of tax

View2-5380307.jpeg

Full?id=5380309

€1,300

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

kazul wrote: »
    Emmm, you're kinda contradicting yourself there. The one you linked to has a whole load of after-market tat, no alloys, replaced engine and resprayed, rings a few alarm bells for me. Look at the steering wheel and gearshift *pukes* It's like something you would find for sale at a halting site.
    I'd prefer an original one for reasonable money that I could valet myself in an afternoon.
    Load of aftermarket tat = leather steering wheel and gearknob. Wow, that is loads. Crewe engines are well known in MB circles as being extremely expensive but top notch work and you're only showing your own ignorance waffling about how an engine being replaced by them as being a bad thing.

It's clean, looks fresher and nicer than the tatty tired cloth interiored one, low mileage engine and owned by an enthusiast who loved the car and seemed to have looked after it well(if slightly misguidedly).
    But one that looks absolutely knackered and has no mention of service history is better?
    I wasn't arguing that it was bargain of the century, I was just showing that €1,300 for a tired low specced 21 year old merc wasn't exactly bangernomics. And if you want a relatively cheap classic, you're going about it the wrong way by buying one like that.

This for example, was stunning and a bargain for anyone looking for a 230 CE classic. Immaculate and every single mechanical issue seems to have been detailed by the seller, so you know exactly what you're getting. Still wouldn't call it bangernomics though.

@RoverJames, it's not too bad. When I was replacing inlet manifold, I was able to get access to the rear 3 easily enough - took about 90-120mins all in I reckon. Car has a F/S/H up to present, don't know whether to keep the service history up or start servicing it myself :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Nice Lexus. Bit pricey for bangeromics though..

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1786077

ViewThumb-4873521.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,627 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

-Corkie- wrote: »

ViewThumb-4873521.jpeg

It's 13 years old and on britplates and they're looking for €2k? Not a hope...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

homer90 wrote: »
    Tidy looking Legend with a bit of tax

Me likey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    My mate had one of them years ago, it wouldnt pull you out of bed it was that slow. Plus the electronics had a slightly terrifing habit of dying at motorway speeds leaving you with no power steering,brakes or headlights.

Are you sure it was a 960 and not a 940?

The engines in these are pretty swift from what I've experienced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Four doors , cheap tax , big boot , cheap as f**k, rare as hens teeth and its ironically cool .... ( so crap you'd have to buy it :D )

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/1916866

Full?id=5387429

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

unkel wrote: »
    It's 13 years old and on britplates and they're looking for €2k? Not a hope...

VRT Chargeable €806

Statistical Code 40285756

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,418 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

-Corkie- wrote: »

ViewThumb-4873521.jpeg

The wheels are terrible IMO. Over priced too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Pop in for a minute but lads there's some bangers popping in here lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Are you sure it was a 960 and not a 940?

The engines in these are pretty swift from what I've experienced.

Have to agree, my father had a 960 up until 3 years ago and there was serious lift from it and actually not that bad on the juice for a 3.0i

padma wrote: »
    Pop in for a minute but lads there's some bangers popping in here lately.

lkeomgrlyyar128578473236080386.jpg

in this thread? wtf :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

RoverJames wrote: »
    lkeomgrlyyar128578473236080386.jpg

in this thread? wtf :eek:
    Chuckle:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,109 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Four doors , cheap tax , big boot , cheap as f**k, rare as hens teeth and its ironically cool .... ( so crap you'd have to buy it :D )

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/1916866

They actually go for crazy money on ebay, very collectable if you have a running version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭alias no.9

This could be argued to be bangernomics

I had some personal conflict on this issue recently, not so much on if a particular car was bangernomics or not but on budget. €1k is nice and round, a little more can buy a lot more, but mine is the second car and anything more than a runaround is an indulgence. The year matters much to my missus, dont get me wrong, she liked the heated seats but the 96 reg on my old Merc was a big problem, 10 years was the cut off. I settled on a 1 months take home pay, but indulged myself with Decembers number instead of Januarys. I know everybodys pay is different but I'd like to propose this as a guiding principle for boards.ie bangernomics, the best you can get for 1 months take home or less. You don't have to reveal everything, just be honest with yourself before posting.

• Advertisement

alias no.9 wrote: »
    I had some personal conflict on this issue recently, not so much on if a particular car was bangernomics or not but on budget. €1k is nice and round, a little more can buy a lot more, but mine is the second car and anything more than a runaround is an indulgence. The year matters much to my missus, dont get me wrong, she liked the heated seats but the 96 reg on my old Merc was a big problem, 10 years was the cut off. I settled on a 1 months take home pay, but indulged myself with Decembers number instead of Januarys. I know everybodys pay is different but I'd like to propose this as a guiding principle for boards.ie bangernomics, the best you can get for 1 months take home or less. You don't have to reveal everything, just be honest with yourself before posting.

In fairness I reckon you should start a new thread for that :) Otherwise this one will fill up with stuff from €2000 to €4000 upwards me thinks. A month's take home on a car, f that me thinks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement