Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭pcardin

if that would be 3.0 automatic with lether interior I'd be first to buy but 2.0 litre twin spark is crap overall, mechanic gearbox is bad (problem with synchro), will have a clutch problem eventually and that cloth interior is horrible. It may be the cleanest in the country but it also is the poorest spec 164 I've ever seen. 164 is technically one of the worst alfas but the most beautiful in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Something a little different with NCT and 'full service history' apparently, for 500 euro:

EDIT: my wallet is itching for that yoke. I have no need whatsoever for another car, but that must be the cleanest 164 left in the country.
    Ugh, the interior doesn't do anything for me. I guess its suited to an Alfa fan, which I'm obviously not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Something a little different with NCT and 'full service history' apparently, for 500 euro:

EDIT: my wallet is itching for that yoke. I have no need whatsoever for another car, but that must be the cleanest 164 left in the country.
    Love them but check the oil as those engines can develop a thirst for it if not serviced correctly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

i dont even have a car license and I would like that for a little rally around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

almanu wrote: »
    heres a big oul bus for somebody that gets free petrol :D
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1929541

Obviously someone does, its sold. To a boardsie?

• Advertisement

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Love them but check the oil as those engines can develop a thirst for it if not serviced correctly

true. even if they are serviced correctly it will still consume about 1 litre on every 1000 km's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

pcardin wrote: »
    if that would be 3.0 automatic with lether interior I'd be first to buy but 2.0 litre twin spark is crap overall, mechanic gearbox is bad (problem with synchro), will have a clutch problem eventually and that cloth interior is horrible. It may be the cleanest in the country but it also is the poorest spec 164 I've ever seen. 164 is technically one of the worst alfas but the most beautiful in my eyes.

I'm thinking maybe I could find a leather interior somewhere, although it might take a bit of patience and probably have to come from the UK.

I don't think the T Spark is that bad of an engine; underpowered I suppose but Wikipedia tells me 0-60 in a fraction under 10 secs and a top speed of 130which I don't think is too shabby. I'd imagine they're a lot lighter than the 166too although I could be talking nonsense.

As for the interior, it has big squidgy blue velour seats and an armrest, my arse won't mind what colour they are :pac:

I take your point on the gearbox but for 500 quid I reckon it has to be tempting. I am a massive Alfa apologist though :cool:

I'm thinking maybe I could find a leather interior somewhere, although it might take a bit of patience and probably have to come from the UK.

I don't think the T Spark is that bad of an engine; underpowered I suppose but Wikipedia tells me 0-60 in a fraction under 10 secs and a top speed of 130which I don't think is too shabby. I'd imagine they're a lot lighter than the 166too although I could be talking nonsense.

As for the interior, it has big squidgy blue velour seats and an armrest, my arse won't mind what colour they are :pac:

I take your point on the gearbox but for 500 quid I reckon it has to be tempting. I am a massive Alfa apologist though :cool:

I understand your optimism. I was just sharing my experience. Always wanted 164 but never was brave enough to buy one. I owned for a couple of years166 until the last summer which had the same 2.0 twin spark. That engine is terrible, trust me. Underpowered and thirsty for a 2 litre. Couple of friends owned the 164's and both had to fix gearbox (with the same fault) and clutch. I had to replace clutch on my 166 as well. I'd say you can find much better example for that money. Probably not in Ireland though.

Another unloved car: new NCT, tax, service history and four new tyres for 850 quid. Another one that'll be gone tomorrow morning if not already, I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Another unloved car: new NCT, tax, service history and four new tyres for 850 quid. Another one that'll be gone tomorrow morning if not already, I reckon.

jesus thats some deal.

• Advertisement

And finally, I want this.

It's auto, only a 1.4 and will fold up like a tin can in a crash, but still.

Actually, it's fairly crap really, I don't know why I want it. But I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

And finally, I want this.

It's auto, only a 1.4 and will fold up like a tin can in a crash, but still.

Actually, it's fairly crap really, I don't know why I want it. But I do.

Guaranteed 2 two year's ugly, hassle free motoring with that!

An alarm or immob would be advisory though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭scoobymunster

For almost a 25 year old car, the mileage is shockingly low. Great run around but I wouldn't like to be in it during a crash!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

For almost a 25 year old car, the mileage is shockingly low. Great run around but I wouldn't like to be in it during a crash!

Someone I know have a 94' Corolla with only 40,000 miles on it.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1931978

Just NCTs, diesel, 45mpg average for most folks, big, comfy, €100+ tax with it, pity about the sh1tty wheel trims, all them leather specced ones had 15" alloys as standard. Looks a good one other than that, pity it's so far away, would buy that otherwise. Asking price is leaning towards fair price of about right.

Full?id=5448609

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

i know this is bangernomics, but I'd like some sort of dignity driving round....I hate them yokes....awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

RoverJames wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1931978

Just NCTs, diesel, 45mpg average for most folks, big, comfy, €100+ tax with it, pity about the sh1tty wheel trims, all them leather specced ones had 15" alloys as standard. Looks a good one other than that, pity it's so far away, would buy that otherwise. Asking price is leaning towards fair price of about right.

Full?id=5448609

One of the few rover models i always liked the look of. Kind of classy looking imo. Whats the TD engine in them like RJ? Presume its a rover diesel. Is there any association with the famous k-series petrol HG problem?

I would seriously consider a diesel 600. My next car is going to be a diesel bangernomics car. An old avensis, 406 or something like the rover. The spec of some of those 600's is very tempting.

THe l series is a different everything to the k, nothing at all the same. Very respected engine by folks who have a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1931461

^ thats got to be a bargain. diesel 115k, not huge mileage for a 10 year old car. 1500 cash would take it i'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

pity about the sh1tty wheel trims, all them leather specced ones had 15" alloys as standard.
    You sure about that? Advert lists alloys as being fitted, and the rear wheel in this pic looks like an alloy too ;)

Full?id=5448608

• Advertisement

Well I can't be sure but they look like wheel trims to me, look at how the front one sticks out in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,627 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MidlandsM wrote: »
    i know this is bangernomics, but I'd like some sort of dignity driving round....I hate them yokes....awful.

Rover 600? Are you serious?

Always found them to be pretty classy vehicles - well built and comfy. Up there with the likes of Saab and Volvo in my book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Top Dog wrote: »
    You sure about that? Advert lists alloys as being fitted, and the rear wheel in this pic looks like an alloy too ;)
    Well I can't be sure but they look like wheel trims to me, look at how the front one sticks out in the middle.

They're actually alloys off this generation Accord:

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

Fair play chaps :)
    Rotten looking yokes anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

Guaranteed 2 two year's ugly, hassle free motoring with that!

An alarm or immob would be advisory though.

Man, that takes me back, I spent many miles riding shotgun in one of those in the early 90s. Serious value in cars in the last few posts. My bangernomics senses are tingling.

Fired up one of my old 2 wheeled bangers today, bought it when it was 18 years old nearly 11 years ago. Put a huge grin on my face. Owes me nothing. Doubt if I will ever have the heart to sell it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

unkel wrote: »
    Rover 600? Are you serious?

Always found them to be pretty classy vehicles - well built and comfy. Up there with the likes of Saab and Volvo in my book

Well they are based/are just a 93-98 era Honda Accord,(I had two of them) so you know they cant be too bad.If Rover had designed them on their own it might be a different story though:p

Wouldn't you know I have good taste cause I have a Saab too

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1932987

Holy pickle chugging tapdancing crackwhore Christ!

No mention of NCT, but still, that looks like a serious bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

It is and it looks to be well maintained. I love the Bimmer aswell..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1927505

I love 318is'.

Not a fan of the alloys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,418 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Great price. Is it for real? Did anyone call them?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement