Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

That Mitsubishi is cheap, but you couldn't keep fuel into it though so what you save on the initial cost but pay for it at the pump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,418 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

jimmyw wrote: »
    That Mitsubishi is cheap, but you couldn't keep fuel into it though so what you save on the initial cost but pay for it at the pump.

ya but you could park that just in case anyone in the family was stuck for a car for a few days or whatever. Its certainly respectable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

unkel wrote: »
    Rover 600? Are you serious?

Always found them to be pretty classy vehicles - well built and comfy. Up there with the likes of Saab and Volvo in my book

yeah, I'm serious. I had the lend of one for about a month year and years go, after my own car was written off, and I just hated it. :o
    Live with one for a while and then try and be enthuasiastic about one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,628 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MidlandsM wrote: »
    yeah, I'm serious. I had the lend of one for about a month year and years go, after my own car was written off, and I just hated it. :o
    Live with one for a while and then try and be enthuasiastic about one.

What car was your own car? And what 600 series Rover did you had the lend of? Was it a 618 petrol or even an old skool diesel? :p

My father in law owned several of them, including a 620ti. I came close to buying a 620ti myself until I realised I wanted a car with substantial displacement :)

unkel wrote: »
    What car was your own car? And what 600 series Rover did you had the lend of? Was it a 618 petrol or even an old skool diesel? :p

My father in law owned several of them, including a 620ti. I came close to buying a 620ti myself until I realised I wanted a car with substantial displacement :)

it was a petrol one, and smelt of old man inside. Horrible fake wood and a terrible driving position. :o
    I'm sure they're fine in some peoples eyes,expectations and needs, just a part of my car life I'm keen to forget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,628 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

it was a petrol one, and smelt of old man inside. Horrible fake wood and a terrible driving position. :o
    I'm sure they're fine in some peoples eyes,expectations and needs, just a part of my car life I'm keen to forget.

The smell of old man is something I'd rather not sample :D

Not so sure about your other points. I'm pretty sure the wood was real (iirc). My expectations are generally rather high, but I just needed something with a lot more poke than a 2l.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

ya but you could park that just in case anyone in the family was stuck for a car for a few days or whatever. Its certainly respectable.

Tax, Mick, Tax...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

mtb_kng wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1927505

I love 318is'.

Not a fan of the alloys.

I love the 318is also, so not having a go. Not really Bangernomics though, thats an average price for a 95. If it was a 98-99 version, it would be a good price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,390 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I would not turn my nose up at the lend of a loan of a Rover 620. Maybe that's because I know the difference between a duck.

Not your ornery onager

Base 2.0s were 115bhp, GSi and SLi models were 131bhp, then the 1.8 replaced the lowered power ones and eventually in 1997 they killed off the NASP 2.0s too. All petrols except the ti were Honda engines. I had a 1999 618 for about 9 months that I bought in 2006, lovely car I thought but the engine wasn't fantastic, very reliable though and well thought of. I sold it on for €1200 more than what I paid for it so despite the engine not being too powerful I do like the 600s :pac: The only thing going against a decent 600 diesel is the fact that early diesel 75s are now well under €2000. I reckon the wood is indeed fake though. The 800s had real wood so too the 200s and 400s of R8 model code (up to 95). Seating position I found quite nice, nice and low and plenty of room. I left a 2005 Mondeo for the 1999 Rover 618 and found the Rover to be more comfy and as roomy for the front seat folks, rear legroom wasn't the best but it's not something I require in a car.

A decatted 600 diesel with a little boost increase would be nimble enough, handling is far from pin sharp though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1934635

1994 citroen zx, leather interior, 140k, 1.9 TD, CD player, 'runnin well', 200 quid and looks to be very clean, no mention of test though.

id be interested to know what the catch is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

andyseadog wrote: »

1994 citroen zx, leather interior, 140k, 1.9 TD, CD player, 'runnin well', 200 quid and looks to be very clean, no mention of test though.

nice find. Wouldn't expect much for 200.

THe chap I sold my prelude to had one of them, if dropped of back home in it after I delivered the lude to him, seemed a very decent car. THat white one looks great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

andyseadog wrote: »

Very nice. People in Ireland might still turn their noses up at it but there's loads of cars of that age with twice the miles still being used daily all over the continent. I've heard before those older TD's need servicing every 6k miles though.

EDIT: on squinting really hard at the pics, it looks like the arches might be a bit frilly.

Fishtits wrote: »
    Tax, Mick, Tax...

But you could stick 3 months tax on that and away you go. For example, I sold my last car private and had a new car on order. Had to wait about 6 weeks. Would be ideal for something like that. Other similar situations too that would suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1931461

^ thats got to be a bargain. diesel 115k, not huge mileage for a 10 year old car. 1500 cash would take it i'd say.

1450 actually ;)

It does need a bit of work on the brakes, two new tyres and a service but nothing major as far as I can tell. We'll know when it hits the NCT next January if it was a bargain fit for this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

What litre is the Rover?
    And what kind of mpg is to be expected?
    If it's a good Diesel then I might get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

What litre is the Rover?

Sorry didn't make that clear. Too late it was me who bought it rusty_racer94. :D Its a 2.0 CDT mpg should be 40-45 when I've sorted it out.

What litre is the Rover?

40 to 50+ unless you do all urban runs

they are good :)

Me thinks you won't be getting this one though ;)
    Dingatron wrote: »
    1450 actually ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

Dingatron wrote: »
    Sorry didn't make that clear. Too late it was me who bought it rusty_racer94. :D Its a 2.0 CDT mpg should be 40-45 when I've sorted it out.

:'(
    Best of luck with it!

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    I would not turn my nose up at the lend of a loan of a Rover 620. Maybe that's because I know the difference between a duck.[/QUOTE

or think you do.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

lovely V12 motoring at a nice price, i reckon 1100 would seal the deal, if she checked out...

not a lot of info on her in ad
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1673344

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

robtri wrote: »
    lovely V12 motoring at a nice price, i reckon 1100 would seal the deal, if she checked out...

I can't think of a better way to donate €1566 to the State every year :)

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

My spidey senses are saying that's unlikely :pac:

Thats been up a few times. Looks rough to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

mickdw wrote: »
    Thats been up a few times. Looks rough to me.

aye not in great nick both internal and external

pity, shes a lot of car for the money if it was sound.

Edit: Theres another S class in the garage from the same era in one of the photos

Not really comparable to the one I posted a few days ago, cheers for the effort though.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Not really comparable to the one I posted a few days ago, cheers for the effort though.

:D

• Advertisement

In saying that if it's running ok if it was bought for €400 it would provide 45 mpg from now until NCT time in October :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement