Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Its a beaut, but the same old story petrol and motor tax prevents it for being an economical daily runner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Haruki wrote: »

The seller of the first car went to the trouble of hiding his reg, but the reg is very clear on the pic of the tax and NCT discs. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

98 Volvo V70 2.5 €500

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1968870

Full?id=5601006

No mention of NCT though:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

daRobot wrote: »
    Enough of ropey Golfs. Here's a bangernomics favourite, the 7:

Full?id=5757070

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2006521

He's a Lithuanian guy who took it as a part exchange against a 745i he was selling, and only has it in his name for a week.

Lovely machine. Hate buying cars that a seller has in his name for such a short period of time, Is it plausible that you have a really good 740 and trade it on a 745 and loose a packet on the deal as well. He obviously got feck all for it if the new owner is letting it go for 1100. Sorry for been a sceptic but I have viewed 9-10 cars in the last year for myself, friends and family and these stories 99% of the time never add up.

kermitpwee wrote: »
    Lovely machine. Hate buying cars that a seller has in his name for such a short period of time, Is it plausible that you have a really good 740 and trade it on a 745 and loose a packet on the deal as well. He obviously got feck all for it if the new owner is letting it go for 1100. Sorry for been a sceptic but I have viewed 9-10 cars in the last year for myself, friends and family and these stories 99% of the time never add up.

Maybe the Lithuanian dude made money on what he took the 745i in against and so needed to make little on it, 740i and a few quid came along and at €1100 for the 740i he's well covered. Who knows but that sort of stuff is worth peanuts in today's market so no one's losing a packet anywhere me thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,418 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

daRobot wrote: »

Full?id=5757070

Is it the photo or is the boot lid a completely different colour to the right rear quarter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

mullingar wrote: »
    The seller of the first car went to the trouble of hiding his reg, but the reg is very clear on the pic of the tax and NCT discs. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Call him and say.. I know your reg number in a creepy voice, I'd like to see his response :D

mickdw wrote: »
    Is it the photo or is the boot lid a completely different colour to the right rear quarter.
    When I saw this car first I thought the boot and the panel were out of line. Its tight at the light but opens up to a wider gap on the boot itself. Hardly BMW panel fit, maybe its the angle of the photo. Doubt it tho!

RoverJames wrote: »
    Maybe the Lithuanian dude made money on what he took the 745i in against and so needed to make little on it, 740i and a few quid came along and at €1100 for the 740i he's well covered. Who knows but that sort of stuff is worth peanuts in today's market so no one's losing a packet anywhere me thinks.

I still can't fathom why someone would trade a good 740 in on a 745 that is an unknown quantity to them. It just doesn't add up. Its like trading a 2litre camry for a 2.2 camry! When doing a trade in generally the man trading gets raped! There is no way I would trade a 740 (that I knew was a good one) on a 745 and give a guy cash, it just doesn't add up to me.

Now I don't know these cars so to the people in the know I ask you this.
    Is the 745 such an improvement that I would be willing to trade my good 740 with cash for it in the middle of the worst recession ever seen? On another thread I accused people of been a 'Doubting Thomas' I'm afraid I am guilty of it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,632 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I still can't fathom why someone would trade a good 740 in on a 745 that is an unknown quantity to them.

The 740 is the older E38 model and the 745 is the newer E65 model. Two different beasts :)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    The 740 is the older E38 model and the 745 is the newer E65 model. Two different beasts :)

Ah sound, you had a 7 series if I remember right. Did you sell it in the end?

you had a 7 series if I remember right. Did you sell it in the end?

You do remember right! To my shock I did not sell it straight away within days as I expected but I did swap it for an E39 520. Back then my daily driver was my Porsche 928, now it is the 520i. A very good all round car by all means but not quite in the league of any 7-series or any Porsche for that matter :(

You do remember right! To my shock I did not sell it straight away within days as I expected but I did swap it for an E39 520. Back then my daily driver was my Porsche 928, now it is the 520i. A very good all round car by all means but not quite in the league of any 7-series or any Porsche for that matter :(

Would never have the balls to buy those BMW's, if I had to use a diagnostic tool I would top myself! For christs sake I'm tempted for my next daily to get a mk1/2 diesel golf! Had a very good mk2 and sold it last year, not a day goes by that I don't regret it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,135 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Very nice for €1250, price is ono, passenger side fog light looks damaged, NCT unknown...

media?xwm=y&id=11618740&width=400&height=300

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201109201457248

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

MidlandsM wrote: »

Look at the comments, there's practically a brawl for the car, and the last comment asking if the owner in the picture comes with the car, dirty feckers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,398 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Also, why didn't it sell when the ad was first posted (a week ago)?

Not your ornery onager

NCT unknown...

As with many of the cars in this thread. Unkown = No NCT

Could be genuine-ish (10%) but most likely indicates major problems (90%)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,135 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

As with many of the cars in this thread. Unkown = No NCT

Could be genuine-ish (10%) but most likely indicates major problems (90%)

Yes on luxury cars like this you would need a longish NCT prior to purchase, could be a potential minefield of cash required if major stuff was wrong, suspension, cats and emissions could ruin you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,398 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Yep, a car without NCT is, by definition, not bangernomic. Strictly speaking, it should have tax as well, although in this country a car with no tax would still qualify as long as you are prepared to walk away from it if it is seized at a checkpoint (you'll have to pay the non-display fine, obviously).

Not condoning or advocating using an untaxed vehicle, btw....

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

This truly is a lovely thing: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2013909

It says it needs a bit of work for the NCT, but I wonder what it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

VolvoMan wrote: »
    This truly is a lovely thing: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2013909

It says it needs a bit of work for the NCT, but I wonder what it is?

Good car:spons ratio there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

Lovely bus. Would 150k be high milage for it tho? And why does it say theres a ford 2 litre engine in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

possibly a typing error it looks a lovely car and well priced could be a bargain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

And why does it say theres a ford 2 litre engine in it?

Because Ford and Volvo share the same straight 5 engine :) Although technically the engines are assembled at a Volvo facility in Sweden.

Because Ford and Volvo share the same straight 5 engine :) Although technically the engines are assembled at a Volvo facility in Sweden.

The engine is part of Volvo's modular block, which they had been building since 1991. Ford took the 220bhp straight five version and put it in their ST, then renamed it 'Duratec' and tried to pass it off as their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

VolvoMan wrote: »
    The engine is part of Volvo's modular block, which they had been building since 1991. Ford took the 220bhp straight five version and put it in their ST, then renamed it 'Duratec' and tried to pass it off as their own.

Its a nice car for the money somehow I am turned off them for some reason as I used to love them. I think its because I seen a few Chavs in them and tough polish guys...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

No mention of NCT or Tax sadly

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1971865

• Advertisement

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Its a nice car for the money somehow I am turned off them for some reason as I used to love them. I think its because I seen a few Chavs in them and tough polish guys...

Typical Essex image that most fast Fords have. I have to hand it to VW as well, the Mk5 Golf GTI is a much nicer finished car.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement