Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

MidlandsM wrote: »
    naaaa, no value there, Nct for 2 or 3 months, the seller knows there's a big spend in the post there.;)

3 months tax left on it though. May or may not be a big spend due and the owner may or may not know about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

RoverJames wrote: »
    3 months tax left on it though. May or may not be a big spend due and the owner may or may not know about it.

worth little in comparision to the pile of cash thats probably needing to get it through the next test. To negate a big spend immediately, better off going to look at a yoke with a longer nct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

naaaa, no value there, Nct for 2 or 3 months, the seller knows there's a big spend in the post there.;)

it would'nt be one for me in fairness , but that beemer is another story , great value and the compacts still sell very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Anyone feel like taking a chance......

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2105012

Full?id=6170528

I'd have to say from the pictures alone that I think there's some nasty story lurking in there but at 250 quid as a slow burning project ;)

worth little in comparision to the pile of cash thats probably needing to get it through the next test. To negate a big spend immediately, better off going to look at a yoke with a longer nct.

Less than 20 mins poke around and a test drive would tell a lot though, you're literally only guessing there is something wrong with it. Long NCT isn't much good if you get caught with a sh1tter.

• Advertisement

Less than 20 mins poke around and a test drive would tell a lot though, you're literally only guessing there is something wrong with it. Long NCT isn't much good if you get caught with a sh1tter.

for the same token, a short nct with a ****ters even worse:eek:. I'm thinking of the trek and time involved, its does'nt stack up for a yoke with a short nct, is all.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Anyone feel like taking a chance......

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2105012

Full?id=6170528

I'd have to say from the pictures alone that I think there's some nasty story lurking in there but at 250 quid as a slow burning project ;)

vrt due on it I'd say too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭TonyFella

Heres one for a Wednesday morning http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2104544

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Wow, an Induction kit adds 29hp to a non-turbo 1.8l. Who knew!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

• Advertisement

Cionád wrote: »

there's value!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Ugliest car...
    jeremy_clarkson_wide_main_a_point.jpg

In the WORLD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Ugliest car...

In the WORLD!

Yeah, a bit like this:

220px-VW_Vento_rear_20071212.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Tragedy wrote: »
    Wow, an Induction kit adds 29hp to a non-turbo 1.8l. Who knew!

:pac:

I was thinking the same. It probably had 144bhp stock in 2000, later models lost a few bhp to emissions regulations. A 25bhp gain from an induction kit, I wonder if you'd get a 50bhp gain from 2 ;).

Comfortable executive saloon for just over a grand: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2107708

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Comfortable executive saloon for just over a grand: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2107708

There must be something as why would you sell a car with 2 months NCT on it instead of 24 months for the sake of 50 euro. Then again, if the car checks out that is an unreal value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Savage value - he may not fancy taxing it come may...times are tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭alias no.9

2.0 turbo, 226bhp? Thought the 2.0 had ~180bhp stock.

edit: sorry, it's got 226pbh's, whatever they are :)

A 99 S80 would struggle to make a grand with the full test, lovely cats though, a friend got one about two years ago that needed a turbo, his father in law was trading up so gave it to him as it was literally worth peanuts with the turbo issue. His is 180bhp as mentioned above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,633 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A lot of car for the money. Maybe someone can negotiate a deal which includes renewing the NCT?

@VolvoMan - are these really 226BHP?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

A 99 S80 would struggle to make a grand with the full test.

+1

A car with no clear mandate. Big yet front wheel drive and lumbering , luxury but the ride is'nt great , prestige but it looks Korean. That added to the fact that they're not bomb proof like Volvos of old makes for one hell of a pile of sh!te IMO. Sorry but that yokes worth about what ever comes up on the scales at the scrapyard recycling centre :p

alias no.9 wrote: »
    2.0 turbo, 226bhp? Thought the 2.0 had ~180bhp stock.

edit: sorry, it's got 226pbh's, whatever they are :)
    unkel wrote: »
    A lot of car for the money. Maybe someone can negotiate a deal which includes renewing the NCT?

@VolvoMan - are these really 226BHP?

No, they are quite far from 226bhp. I don't know where the seller got that random figure from.

The 2.0T was usually 180bhp, but something tells me that earlier models were a bit less.
    +1

A car with no clear mandate. Big yet front wheel drive and lumbering , luxury but the ride is'nt great , prestige but it looks Korean. That added to the fact that they're not bomb proof like Volvos of old makes for one hell of a pile of sh!te IMO. Sorry but that yokes worth about what ever comes up on the scales at the scrapyard recycling centre :p

They are better than whatever Vectra SAAB reclothed at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I had a 2005 S80 out for the day last Friday when my Passat was being serviced.

Loved it but the plastics felt cheap and squeaked way too much for a premium car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,633 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A car with no clear mandate. Big yet front wheel drive and lumbering , luxury but the ride is'nt great

Can't say I agree with you there. This is the bangernomics thread and a well maintained luxury full size saloon for a grand (and with the relatively cheap 2.0l motor tax) deserves a place here imho.

Sure, you've got to question people who bought one new. Depreciation on them is awful, probably about the worst you can get in the class (except for the Peugeot 604 of course :D)

That said, I don't think anyone who ever bought an S80 (new or second hand or even as a bangernomics car) cared that it was not RWD as most other up market (ish) large saloons.

My favorite Bangernomics yet! I'd planned spending bigger money on a 03ish Passat but I couldn't be happier with this. Averaged 51 mpg over the weekend, and that was a mostly town driving!

Bought it with two months tax and 8 months test.

230605_10150575263140176_805400175_18578967_1852266_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

My favorite Bangernomics yet! I'd planned spending bigger money on a 03ish Passat but I couldn't be happier with this. Averaged 51 mpg over the weekend, and that was a mostly town driving!

Nice colour, good luck with it.

By the way, what happened to the suspension?

Seweryn wrote: »
    Nice colour, good luck with it.

By the way, what happened to the suspension?

They're coilovers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

230605_10150575263140176_805400175_18578967_1852266_n.jpg

now i could be wrong , but that looks like the car that a Polish guy that works in the Deanegrange NCT centre use to drive , bit of useless info for someone :pac:

please tell me your not leaving the suspension like that :p

almanu wrote: »
    now i could be wrong , but that looks like the car that a Polish guy that works in the Deanegrange NCT centre use to drive , bit of useless info for someone :pac:

please tell me your not leaving the suspension like that :p

I just put that suspension into it, and I can assure you he's still driving his one ;) Plus it has to go lower on the front, yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

They are better than whatever Vectra SAAB reclothed at the time.

Why to you take it so personally when another user posts negatively about a Volvo? They are not to everybodys taste, deal with it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement