Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markens2

Loving bangernomics. Bought the alfa 166 2.5 v6 about a month ago. It is amazing. I've a feeling I could become hooked by this bangernomics bug. I want to sell the Alfa already and change to a different car.
    Something sporty or maybe a 93 convertible.
    Thanks to all the bangernomics heads.
    I love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I know what you mean but I have to curtail my addiction to focus on my 8er.

I'm putting the LS400 back on the market next week after an overhaul and some tax on it ;)

Need to replace the strut rods and flush the tranny beforehand though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

E39MSport wrote: »
    I know what you mean but I have to curtail my addiction to focus on my 8er.

I'm putting the LS400 back on the market next week after an overhaul and some tax on it ;)

Need to replace the strut rods and flush the tranny beforehand though.

If that ls400 has the 5-speed box its the A650E gearbox. It holds 8 litres of the less than common Toyota type IV fluid. Don't put ordinary ATF in it!!!!

The quick drain and fill is just 2 litres, there is a great way to drain/fill it fully. Pm if u need details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

mullingar wrote: »
    If that ls400 has the 5-speed box its the A650E gearbox. It holds 8 litres of the less than common Toyota type IV fluid. Don't put ordinary ATF in it!!!!

The quick drain and fill is just 2 litres, there is a great way to drain/fill it fully. Pm if u need details

Interesting.
    I bought a 97 E200 about 2 months ago. The box is perfect but it does take longer to engage gears when the fluid is cold. I spoke to a few people and they recommended that I should not open the box at all.
    Some Mercedes mechanics say that when you change the fluid, it can have an adverse affect on the box and it actually runs worse!!
    There is only 102,000 miles on the car so I think I will leave it for now.
    I still find it hard to believe that a fluid change can have an adverse affect though....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

• Advertisement

almanu wrote: »

Winner!! Great find. True blue Bangernomics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,399 ✭✭✭✭Esel

cadaliac wrote: »
    Interesting.
    I bought a 97 E200 about 2 months ago. The box is perfect but it does take longer to engage gears when the fluid is cold. I spoke to a few people and they recommended that I should not open the box at all.
    Some Mercedes mechanics say that when you change the fluid, it can have an adverse affect on the box and it actually runs worse!!
    I still find it hard to believe that a fluid change can have an adverse affect though....
    You do not 'open the box' when doing a fluid change! :D If you are have the fluid changed, have the filter replaced as well.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Esel wrote: »
    You do not 'open the box' when doing a fluid change! :D If you are have the fluid changed, have the filter replaced as well.
    ... and the oil bath seal ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,399 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Seweryn wrote: »
    ... and the oil bath seal ;).
    Does that mean you actually have to 'open the box' (like removing a sump)?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I am not sure what type of automatic gearbox is there, but the traditional 4-speed box that was installed in the earlier W210 series is openable (same gearbox as in the later W124).

• Advertisement

I don't know, but that was what I was led to believe. I'll find out tomorrow.

Edit: Seweryn, yes it is a traditional 4 speed box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,634 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The box is perfect but it does take longer to engage gears when the fluid is cold. I spoke to a few people and they recommended that I should not open the box at all.

That discussion is worth it's own thread! I had the same issue with my E38 7-series. Box was perfect (at 140k miles) but I was wondering about changing the oil. Dealers / BMW independents do not want to know. Changing the oil in a modern autobox can bring in contamination that might ruin the box. A big survey in the US on 5-series and 7-series owners (where people are generally very keen in regular oil changes) showed no best practice either way (change the oil or leave the box "sealed for life")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

unkel wrote: »
    That discussion is worth it's own thread! I had the same issue with my E38 7-series. Box was perfect (at 140k miles) but I was wondering about changing the oil. Dealers / BMW independents do not want to know. Changing the oil in a modern autobox can bring in contamination that might ruin the box. A big survey in the US on 5-series and 7-series owners (where people are generally very keen in regular oil changes) showed no best practice either way (change the oil or leave the box "sealed for life")

Talk to Stealthyspeeder and ask him what he thinks about this 'sealed for life argument' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,634 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Onkle wrote: »
    Talk to Stealthyspeeder and ask him what he thinks about this 'sealed for life argument' :D

Sorry I should have been more specific. I was talking about higher end BMW and Mercedes cars, not glorified Skoda vans :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Interesting.

Does it just wait till higher revs to change up or does the gear change take longer? It may be the ecu is programmed to hold each gear longer until the engine warms up fully.

Sorry I should have been more specific. I was talking about higher end BMW and Mercedes cars, not glorified Skoda vans :p

Oh dear... Nice knowing you Unkel

mullingar wrote: »

Not sure about the code but it does take tha type IV stuff. I've already bent over to the tune of 90 lids at the stealers for 5 litres. Given I'm selling it I think I'll stick to the 1 ;)

Cheers for the help - pm on the way :)

edit: - This is the method I'll be using
    http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/transmission/transchange.html

I'll also be flushing my brother's W211 auto box as it's starting to show signs of what I think is TC problems but I'll flush first.
    fyi. here's what I'll be following for that one (subject to mathing box code)
    http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211-e-class/1562183-diy-report-transmission-flush-722-6-a.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Direct from the horses mouth, ZF themselves say to change the fluid every 50k miles and fluid and filter every 100k miles. That sealed for life sticker is an absolute laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

First time posting a link in this thread, hopefully I won't embarrass myself. :o

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2134080

First time posting a link in this thread, hopefully I won't embarrass myself. :o

I think I can guess the next owner of that car

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Can someone Photoshop in a yellow plate? :D

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Does it just wait till higher revs to change up or does the gear change take longer? It may be the ecu is programmed to hold each gear longer until the engine warms up fully.
    It does wait for higher revs to change up (when cold) but the change itself is a bit clunkier.

NEW GIRLFRIEND WITH BABY ON THE WAY FORCES QUICK SALE

Sounds like she was up the pole when they met.
    I'd rather the Carina :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Worthy of the bangernomics title?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2140157

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Nforce wrote: »

Nah, timebomb imo. Too expensive for Bangernomics too.

Confab wrote: »
    Nah, timebomb imo. Too expensive for Bangernomics too.

.... I hope Matt S is in a good mood today :eek:

Add is a bit OTT

This without Doubt the nicest volvo in the country
    Its in mint condition inside and out
    Brand new NCT TEST for two years
    Fully serviced

You Won't waste your time here with this car This car is as good as i say it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

.... I hope Matt S is in a good mood today :eek:

He's right though at that age / mileage - total money pit.

I wouldn't say no to a a late '02 low mileage one though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

Nforce wrote: »

About a grand to dear imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement