Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

In fairness, marlows done a fair amount of work to that 7er to get it to that standard. Well worth close to that money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

It's been serviced top to toe, while I had it. First thing done, when I bought it was a complete service with all included. It also needed new spark plugs and rocker cover gasket. This was last year.

It has been serviced to prescribed intervals since and recently before NCT.

Both springs on the right were cracked 6 inch off, so they got replaced (and one more for a good measure) + all shocks.

It showes it's age (being 16 years old), but starts on the button and has never let me down and there's a lovely rumble of the V8. The only thing the NCT could complain about was the handbrake, which was sorted on a retest.

I just won't drive it much, as I have a few other cars, that's why it's being sold. And I have my eyes on something else, too.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Marlow, can I ask what insurance you were paying on that machine?

I suppose if I have to ask, I probably cant afford! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,634 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Marlow wrote: »
    there's a lovely rumble of the V8.

I had the same engine (and I think gearbox too) in my '94 BMW 530iA V8 (E34), but obviously mine was only a 3l :)

Lovely rumble indeed. Hard to beat the sound of the V8!

Dempsey wrote: »

I've got a policy covering all my cars and one of'em is modified, so you can't really compare that.

Go to 123.ie and try get a online quote, that'll tell you what it would cost. The reg is in the pictures.

It's a 4.0l V8 with 282 bhp anyhow, so you probably need a year of two NCB under your belt to get something halfways decent price wise. It might qualify for classic insurance with some insurances.

/M

• Advertisement

You'll probably be pleasantly surprised, but no one here can tell you what YOU will pay for insurance. Ring all insurers and all brokers. It will take a few hours but you will save hundreds :)

I owned an E38 BMW 735 and my last quote for fully comprehensive, including full no claims bonus protection and including business use was for €500

Just standard fully comprehensive would have been a bit over €300 for me

And to put in a comparison, it was cheaper for me to insure a 735 than a 523 of same year, value, mileage, etc. 7-series are low risk cars...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭McGrath5

you might get this 5 series for under a grand.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2193056

What on earth has the owner done to the front lights :eek:

They are shoddy after-market angel-eye replicas. I haven't seen one non-OEM angel-eye front light for the E39's yet, that look decent or anywhere near the real deal. OEM ones are expensive though and that's why people try and burn themselves with these and the likes.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,399 ✭✭✭✭Esel

"TAX 06/2012" Shurely shome mishtake? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

They are shoddy after-market angel-eye replicas. I haven't seen one non-OEM angel-eye front light for the E39's yet, that look decent or anywhere near the real deal. OEM ones are expensive though and that's why people try and burn themselves with these and the likes.

/M

I had nice white rings put on to replace the yellow OEM ones, and thought they looked absolutely fine.

• Advertisement

Eoin wrote: »
    I had nice white rings put on to replace the yellow OEM ones, and thought they looked absolutely fine.

E39 ? That would just be a matter of replacing the bulb. I have LED bulbs in my angel eyes, too. which makes them white. That's not the issue. Looks a lot better than yellow'ish.

It's just that a lot of the cheap angel-eye front lights that are bought from eBay just look all wrong on so many levels.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I've got a policy covering all my cars and one of'em is modified, so you can't really compare that.

Go to 123.ie and try get a online quote, that'll tell you what it would cost. The reg is in the pictures.

It's a 4.0l V8 with 282 bhp anyhow, so you probably need a year of two NCB under your belt to get something halfways decent price wise. It might qualify for classic insurance with some insurances.

/M

/off to get online quotes :)
    unkel wrote: »
    You'll probably be pleasantly surprised, but no one here can tell you what YOU will pay for insurance. Ring all insurers and all brokers. It will take a few hours but you will save hundreds :)

I owned an E38 BMW 735 and my last quote for fully comprehensive, including full no claims bonus protection and including business use was for €500

Just standard fully comprehensive would have been a bit over €300 for me

And to put in a comparison, it was cheaper for me to insure a 735 than a 523 of same year, value, mileage, etc. 7-series are low risk cars...

I was actually, €686 for 123.ie's comprehensive package, similar to what I paid last year on a 1.5 Civic! :eek:

My heart wants a change of car but my head says that I'd be stupid to change at the moment. :o

E39 ? That would just be a matter of replacing the bulb. I have LED bulbs in my angel eyes, too. which makes them white. That's not the issue. Looks a lot better than yellow'ish.

It's just that a lot of the cheap angel-eye front lights that are bought from eBay just look all wrong on so many levels.

Ah, you mean putting converting to Angel Eyes in the first place, rather than just changing the bulb in ones with Angel eyes as standard?

Eoin wrote: »
    Ah, you mean putting converting to Angel Eyes in the first place, rather than just changing the bulb in ones with Angel eyes as standard?

Check the ad

Those aren't BMW OEM front lights. The car is pre-facelift, so came without angel eyes. And the owner replaced them with some shoddy after market lights instead of buying the real deal, which is why they just look odd. Especially the indicators. Matter of taste, i guess. Not my cup o tea anyhow.

/M

I was actually, €686 for 123.ie's comprehensive package, similar to what I paid last year on a 1.5 Civic! :eek:

My heart wants a change of car but my head says that I'd be stupid to change at the moment. :o

Dude, you have got to live your life too! If you can, you should!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,566 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I'd say he opened them and did a bit of black spraying :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Looks like the exhaust pipe is missing.

Not a bad effort though for a young lad :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Forest Fire

Bought a 2002 520i BMW for €3.8k. 65k mls, fully leather.Automatic. Mechanic said it was a great car. Now that's value. Why pay €50k for a new one. Nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2187638

First time bangernomics for me, how'd i do?

Thinking of looking at this actually, any opinions? are the M52B20 engines good? are they liable to boil over or is that a stereotype?

Im new to BMW's, so I no nothing about them..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2187638

First time bangernomics for me, how'd i do?

Thinking of looking at this actually, any opinions? are the M52B20 engines good? are they liable to boil over or is that a stereotype?

Im new to BMW's, so I no nothing about them..

nice looking motor, would just be a bit weary that its a dealer selling it and doesnt mention that in ad..... personally that makes me think there is something wrong with it

The coolant system is normally due an overhaul - and it's often around the mileage on that car above. Personally, a manual 2.0 with cloth interior is my least favourite spec in the e39.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Forest Fire

I'm new enough too. Last car was a mini with BMW engine but gearbox cocked up so I repaired and got rid of it. Mechanic said these cars are 'bulletproof' but being a big car, can cost to maintain. Nothing compared to monthly payments for a new 520. It is a dream to drive and they go to 200k mls with ease. Ive taken it up to 100mph and you'ld think you were doing 60. It's so comfortable that I drive it slow to spend more time in it. They are not over laden with elecs and comps so less to go wrong. Check them out on carzone. Go for low mileage 520i leather auto as these are easiest to sell on if you get bored...which is unlikely.

Its a basic spec i know, It just seems hard to find anything better for small money, A tds would be more to my liking but I cant find one with test for similar money..

What goes in the cooling system? Are the waterpumps weak or is there more to it?

Regards spec, I want a manual, I have a gripe with auto's, leather would be great and a m sport kit but will not be found for sub-€1000

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Christ that looks tempting!

Who ya tellin'

I just fear it would be a €1000 kettle

Probably shouldnt have posted it here before looking for info on them

Its a basic spec i know, It just seems hard to find anything better for small money, A tds would be more to my liking but I cant find one with test for similar money..

What goes in the cooling system? Are the waterpumps weak or is there more to it?

Regards spec, I want a manual, I have a gripe with auto's, leather would be great and a m sport kit but will not be found for sub-€1000

The auto is very good in the e39 with the right engine - but I don't want to turn this into one of those "you're not really driving the car with an auto" threads!

I don't have the invoices any more as I made the mistake of selling my e39 last year, but I think it was the thermostat housing, a bunch of pipes/tubes and possibly the waterpump - but not 100% sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

robtri wrote: »
    nice looking motor, would just be a bit weary that its a dealer selling it and doesnt mention that in ad..... personally that makes me think there is something wrong with it

It appears to be a dealer if you google the mobile number.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Christ that looks tempting!

+1

How wrong can you go? If it doesn't pass the NCT next year, just get another one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They come all the way down to the bumper, the oe ones have a colour coded strip at the bottom.

Look like volvo lights

Bargain price though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They come all the way down to the bumper, the oe ones have a colour coded strip at the bottom.

Look like volvo lights

Bargain price though.
    love that colour,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement