Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

peasant wrote: »
    ...he said...opening a thread for battered and wanked out Carinas. :D:D:D

FYP..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I Was VB wrote: »

€500 NCT 01/13, look like a Monday morning prostitute but she'll go forever!!

If I had to drive that to work I'd fuhken shoot meself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

@almanu
    I love it myself too, dad had this from 2003 to 2007 until when we bought a Nissan Sunny 1.8 Supersaloon 2003.
    The Mercedes was a 1989 and the Nissan was a 2003 but it was no way near the comfort and driving pleasure of the Mercedes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Pointless thread. Just because you're a whore for Toyota does not mean everything else suggested in Bangernomics is not suitable. :P

No need for a separate thread. Most people will look at each vehicle on its own merits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Bargenomics; Buy a excutive wanked out saloon for €1200 break your heart, wallet. Spend nearly twice the amount of the orginal purchase price on the car in the space of 5 months but its still ''A Bargin''

Bangernomics; buy a wanked out bread and butter mobile with nct and tax for €500 drive it till it wont drive no more and sell it on and repeat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

I'd take me chances with a wanked out 728i being honest......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

40mm_Bofors_AA_gun.jpg

Thread shot down!!

A good idea IMO, I see the merits in a cheap 728i etc, but it's not for everyone with the big tax bill, and potential repairs.

Banger + Economics

As we know the Economy is a fickle thing so you must be careful. The raven in us might by something because it's shiny.

The sleuths among us would buy something on its merit and "Value for money".

Others then, not naming anybody in particular, will buy any old Toyota and run it till it dies. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Ok, we all know the Bangernomics thread is really the Luxonomics thread. It's hard to find a really cheap and efficient car in the Luxonomics thread, so a real Bangernomics thread is a good idea.

Lets look at it this way, to buy a 728i with no nct and no tax for a grand the bare minimum to getting the car on the road would be €400 fully legal. Where as the Carina you could buy for €500 and have it untill the NCT runs out. Diesel being cheaper than petrol would come into it. '14 steelies being replaced than '17 alloys.

• Advertisement

Confab wrote: »
    ....... It's hard to find a really cheap and efficient car in the Luxonomics thread....

Quite often when one is posted folks comment how such and such a V8 would be money better spent. This thread is a great idea me thinks. In saying that I wouldn't buy or drive that particular Carina, it's too sh1tty looking.

Lets look at it this way, to buy a 728i with no nct and no tax for a grand the bare minimum to getting the car on the road would be €400 fully legal. Where as the Carina you could buy for €500 and have it untill the NCT runs out. Diesel being cheaper than petrol would come into it. '14 steelies being replaced than '17 alloys.

But people want different things

I'm currently in the market for a 2nd weekend car so wouldn't be bothered by Toyota Carina/Corollas etc.

Nor would I be interested in a big fat ass Lexus GS.

There are always the odd gems that come up that make you scratch your chin.

The suggestions are not for everybody but if everybody on the internet was of the same opinions then what a boring place it would be.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    But people want different things

I'm currently in the market for a 2nd weekend car so wouldn't be bothered by Toyota Carina/Corollas etc.

Nor would I be interested in a big fat ass Lexus GS.

There are always the odd gems that come up that make you scratch your chin.

The suggestions are not for everybody but if everybody on the internet was of the same opinions then what a boring place it would be.

Fully agree, but the Bangernomic thread is not bangernomic and hasnt been in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,049 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Mileage 272,308 Miles

:eek:

how many times around the world is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

loyatemu wrote: »
    Mileage 272,308 Miles

:eek:

how many times around the world is that?

About 12 times.

Good auld Toyota, lets see a 728i doing that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,418 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That Carina is worthless.

mickdw wrote: »
    That Carina is worthless.

Correct, only thing your buying is a 18 month nct and throwing in the car for free and knowing its not gonna cost ya a arm and a leg inbetween.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

True bangernomics and not bargenomics.

I see what you did there.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2237063
    View2-6713676.jpeg

Knock a bit off the price and its cheap space

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

-Corkie- wrote: »
    That S class is a savage machine, prob buy it cheaper on a straight cash deal.

i know :( my age and the insurance companies are the only thing stopping me, 1566 tax a year doesnt bother me if I could buy a car like that for 1000-1200 euro and drive it for a year

Lovely little yoke, big roomy nct and cheap tax rate!

Correct, only thing your buying is a 18 month nct and throwing in the car for free and knowing its not gonna cost ya a arm and a leg inbetween.

Ok, but you can buy a 2 year NCT for a carina for €100 so that would make this one worth €75 so.:D

mickdw wrote: »
    Ok, but you can buy a 2 year NCT for a carina for €100 so that would make this one worth €75 so.:D

Ah come on try harder ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2246999

NCT NOVENBER 2012 TAX UNTIL JULI 2011

View2-6755750.jpeg

si_guru wrote: »

Perfect Cavan reg the whole lot!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Needs a couple of shocks, but look at the shine... full set of wheel caps too!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2244616

View2-6746075.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yeah I think the real ideology of bangernomics has been lost on the other thread. It's not just about getting most amount of car for the least amount money, but more about cars that are cheap to buy and run too.

Also, I'm sick of seeing Mercedes W210 and W202s - they're rubbish cars! A W124 or W201 would be perfect bangernomics - S-Classes, BMW 7 Series, etc. are just too big (tax-wise) for most us.

This is how I first found out about the term: http://bangernomics.tripod.com/index.html
    A bit out of date now (new website is here: http://www.bangernomics.co.uk/) but still interesting.

• Advertisement

Ah come on try harder ffs!

I was only having a bit of fun but FFS -

The simple fact remains, if you think that carina is worth 500, NCT or not, I believe you are allowing your love for all things toyota to distort your judgement or else you are a fool.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement