Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

ForrestGump.jpg

Stupid is what stupid does..........but I agree, the bangernomics thread is now a barge-o-nomics thread (no harm in that either)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Whats this worth, Friend of mine has it, Been lying up nearly 2 years,
    Its a 220d Elegance, Has huge mileage 280000 plus. Had a engine at some point , so i,m told, Diff gone thats why its been lying up,
    I remember this car on the road, was no smoke out of it , No leather in it, 5 speed manual, Car was tested, had faults, bushings so on, All faults repaired, Diff went before car when back for cert ,:P
    has it a value ? i know what he wants for it , YOU TELL ME WHAT ITS WORTH?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

I Was VB wrote: »
    I've had enough of wanked out 728i's for sale for a grand and no NCT or Tax. So this thread is about bread and butter cars going cheap with nct for under a grand.

True bangernomics and not bargenomics.

I'll start

Full?id=6778390

€500 NCT 01/13, look like a Monday morning prostitute but she'll go forever!!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2252540

I would much rather use public transport ... or cycle.... or walk ... pretty much use any other means of moving myself from A to B but I would not get into that thing.

Just because it's Toyota doesn't mean that it's straight away mechanically sound. If the body of the car is in such state I doubt that it has been looked after mechanically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

She's a fine car. I'd drive her with pride (and a nose plug too)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

^^^ Free to a good home.... Or be stuck with it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Good auld Toyota, lets see a 728i doing that....
    I shall take up this gauntlet sir!

Where are you going with this "blow up on the way home" lark? Bigger engineed older models are generally workhorses that will keep going. The reason people arent whoring out low end tat in the other threads is they are the type of junk that people give away for free. Why the hell would you pay EUR500 for that Carina? The knackers yard could supply a better car!

Lets see a 728i doing big miles (430k km).. hard to show Irish cars as there are 10,000 Carina's and Primera's for every e38 BMW, so ignoring locality and price, to prove they do exist:
    456k km

Saying all this I accept you have a better definition of Bangernomics than whats usually thrown about, but you dont need to be so against... nice cars to make it. :pac:

argosy2006 wrote: »
    ........... YOU TELL ME WHAT ITS WORTH?

Running well with a two year test you wouldn't see a grand for it unless a looney took a shine to it, as Homer says, as is it's free to take away :) Some one might pay €100 or so for it, couldn't fathom why they would though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Whats this worth, Friend of mine has it, Been lying up nearly 2 years,
    Its a 220d Elegance, Has huge mileage 280000 plus. Had a engine at some point , so i,m told, Diff gone thats why its been lying up,
    I remember this car on the road, was no smoke out of it , No leather in it, 5 speed manual, Car was tested, had faults, bushings so on, All faults repaired, Diff went before car when back for cert ,:P
    has it a value ? i know what he wants for it , YOU TELL ME WHAT ITS WORTH?
    With the diff broken, a couple of hundred on a good day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I'll take it if he gives me €200..

Seweryn wrote: »

Yea a diff is hard to get, That's why its been where its been for 2 years,
    200 is closer to what he wants for it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Agree. Executive cars make lousy bangernomics because they were designed to be run with a certain budget.

Old D segment cars are the best, mondeos, carinas, primeras and the like. Cheap as chips to buy, generally vastly more reliable than the aforementioned 728i, and routine servicing means throwing out the pollen filter, and thowing in a sup of 10w30 mineral oil once in a while.

I actually have a 190E 2.6. It isn't a feasible daily driver, while a Mondeo 1.8TD certainly is.

Seweryn wrote: »

Ok, so whats it worth if it had new nct and a diff fitted,
    If i got car for free and fitted diff and put nct on it, would it be worth 500?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

Yea a diff is hard to get, That's why its been where its been for 2 years,
    200 is closer to what he wants for it :P

for parts maybe ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Would nearly get that in scrap. Would he not ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

MugMugs wrote: »
    Not that though. That's French.

I think this thread needs more French cars!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2193488
    Full?id=6532817

- Long NCT
    - Much nicer car than VB's shed :cool:
    - XUD engines go forever and are more refined than Toyota's old tractor engines
    - Don't be scared by the hydropneumatic suspension, the modern stuff in the Xantia doesn't really cause much trouble and replacing spheres is an easy DIY job (tenner for the tool and about €30-45 for a sphere). And when it works it works well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Fully agree, but the Bangernomic thread is not bangernomic and hasnt been in a long time.

Bangernomics is what you want it to be. I think the original thread is brilliant.

Though if this new thread keeps the absolute heaps off the other one, then that's cool too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

How would this one fit the bill?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2228604

• Advertisement

How would this one fit the bill?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2228604

ideal I would think :)

Eoin wrote: »
    Though if this new thread keeps the absolute heaps off the other one, then that's cool too.

To me that seems a silly comment. While there are those who don't give a toss about how their car looks I don't think theres anyone going out to buy a complete heap of junk either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Rover 600 is a great bangernomics car actually. Basically a Honda with classier styling and (mostly) Honda engines for Rover money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

the old bangernomics thread is a great read!,
    there are some heaps on it but that carina is in a league of its own:eek:
    the engine may be ok but it looks like its crashed! (more than once)

whats the engine limit to move from bangernomics to bargenomics(?)

edit: where did the word "wanked out" come from!!

Full?id=6154483

Thats one mean mother.... You'd be fighting the lassies off !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

To me that seems a silly comment. While there are those who don't give a toss about how their car looks I don't think theres anyone going out to buy a complete heap of junk either.

Why is it silly? Did you not see the car in the first post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

How about 3 cars for the price of one? :D

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2252797

Id add them to the collection if I could... :p

all lively cars with serious handbrakes,

Is a serious handbrake one that takes no messing from it's cable ?

Never trust a man called Bravo either.

^^ I hired one of them Rover 200's for a few days from a garage when my own was in getting stuff done for NCT in same garage. Rattly as fcuk is was but absolutely goes like sh!te of a shiney shovel! Petrol guage wasn't working in ot either and got stranded on the side of the road only a few km's shy of the garage when returning the car:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

Good thread VB

this fella tried to corner the market in bravo's ....nearly had them all too but the price did'n't rise Full?id=6779509

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement