Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Bigus wrote: »
    this fella tried to corner the market in bravo's ....nearly had them all too but the price did'n't rise

Dosent rival my collection of Bravos... :p
    car football team,
    Cant make a car football team with just 3 cars... :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

homer90 wrote: »
    Would nearly get that in scrap. Would he not ?

Why scrap a good car though, He wants 300 no less

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Ok that Carina is a extreme example of the Bangernomics model, but it embodies all thats right with it. Low budget reliable cheap to run and its NCT'd for 18 months, yes you can get cleaner and better cars under the bangernomics model.

But the likes of the 728i (seems to be the most popular barge on the other thread) is completley un economical to be used as a daily driver let alone be considerd a bangernomics contender, heres a hint about bangernomics the name is in the title!!!

My take on the ideal bangernomics car, cheap to buy, cheap to tax, NCTd, relatively presentable, cheap to run, family size ish yoke. The Mazda 323 posted in this thread would be ideal although it seems a tad too cheap to be true. Quick looksee would tell a lot though.

728i etc suggestions are usually followed by comments about the tax and would it average above 25ish mpg, says alot really.

RoverJames wrote: »
    My take on the ideal bangernomics car, cheap to buy, cheap to tax, NCTd, relatively presentable, cheap to run, family size ish yoke. The Mazda 323 posted in this thread would be ideal although it seems a tad too cheap to be true. Quick looksee would tell a lot though.

728i etc suggestions are usually followed by comments about the tax and would it average above 25ish mpg, says alot really.

That Carina is closer to the bangernomics model than a 728i going for a grand.

• Advertisement

argosy2006 wrote: »
    Why scrap a good car though, He wants 300 no less

It's a non runner so can't be test driven, it needs to be towed away, it needs money thrown at it, it has no NCT, it looks rough enough, it has loads of miles on it.

To get it on the road with a test would be the guts of €600 presuming there is nothing wrong with it at all only the diff. That's a €600 gamble on a car that you can't test drive.

:)

€300, not a hope me thinks.

I Was VB wrote: »

Most definitely, it's just in bits so I personally wouldn't touch it, I'd sooner look at something with an asking price €300 higher that I could polish up in an hour or two to have it looking well (ish).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

''Free to 'tow' away'' looks like the best option to me if not the scrap yard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Eoin wrote: »
    Why is it silly? Did you not see the car in the first post?

I seen car in opening post alright, theres no doubt its rough around the edges and you could do better for your money. It seems that the point that I was VB was trying to make is that the other Bangernomics car of the week/day thread has so much so become awash with expensive to maintain and run luxury barges that the thread is not true to its original concept. Hence why it seems he started a new thread but that doesn't mean absolute heaps need to posted on this one either...thats why I said your post seemed silly to me.

In fairness some cars which are respectable enough for the money and very relevant to the concept of bangernomics have being posted on the thread already. Even the Carina while rough and ready might be a hell of a lot more reliable and better at getting on with the job than much newer more expensive cars. There are lots of people out there who simply see a car as a means of getting from a to b

mickdw wrote: »
    I was only having a bit of fun but FFS -

The simple fact remains, if you think that carina is worth 500, NCT or not, I believe you are allowing your love for all things toyota to distort your judgement or else you are a fool.

I know ya were, thats why is said try harder. As i've already stated that the Carina is alot closer to being a bangernomics car than a 7 Series BMW that makes a reaccuring apperance in the ''bangernomics'' thread to highlight how far ary the other thread has gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Yes, obviously a barge like that will cost more than the likes of the cars in this thread - I'm surprised people think this needs to be pointed out.

However over a few years they might be no more expensive to run than a bland "economic" car that's newer and depreciates hugely. And I know where I'd rather sit. Or alternatively for people doing low mileage, theyre not that bad to keep fueled. And the cars in the other thread are cars that people aspired to own and are now affordable, which makes it a fun thread.

There are lots of people out there who simply see a car as a means of getting from a to b

Yeah but this is the motoring forum, not bargain alerts - so don't be surprised if people don't get moist about some of these cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,633 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You'd probably do much better in your business if you'd put aside your inner Toyota fanboi for a moment and think about what your customer would like you to drive them in :)

Hint, hint, hint: NOT a cramped little sh1tty old small family car from Japan ;)

Back in the day when I used several taxis a week on very early mornings to go to the airport (on my expenses paid by work), I'd much rather take the S-class (yes even with the sh1te Jap diesel conversion) than the Corolla, thanks...

Yes, obviously a barge like that will cost more than the likes of the cars in this thread - I'm surprised people think this needs to be pointed out.

However over a few years they might be no more expensive to run than a bland "economic" car that's newer and depreciates hugely. And I know where I'd rather sit. Or alternatively for people doing low mileage, theyre not that bad to keep fueled. And the cars in the other thread are cars that people aspired to own and are now affordable, which makes it a fun thread.

The mantra of bangernomics is buy a cheap car with nct and tax drive it untill it runs out or if a major engine problem occours. Sell before it costs you money. Not buying a car cheap luxobarge running it with repair cost going skyward.

unkel wrote: »
    You'd probably do much better in your business if you'd put aside your inner Toyota fanboi for a moment and think about what your customer would like you to drive them in :)

Hint, hint, hint: NOT a cramped little sh1tty old small family car from Japan ;)

Back in the day when I used several taxis a week on very early mornings to go to the airport (on my expenses paid by work), I'd much rather take the S-class (yes even with the sh1te Jap diesel conversion) than the Corolla, thanks...

This has nothing to do with the taxi trade or what i personally drive.

BTW incase ya forgot i'm now the owner of a 05 Superb.

The mantra of bangernomics is buy a cheap car with nct and tax drive it untill it runs out or if a major engine problem occours. Sell before it costs you money. Not buying a car cheap luxobarge running it with repair cost going skyward.

The most annoying mantra on this forum is that every car that was expensive when new is gonna be expensive in repair costs. This mantra is always muttered by people who have never owned a well built (originally) expensive car

I have owned several cars that were very expensive when new. When I bought them, they weren't exactly banger money, but they all cost less than one tenth of what they cost new. And have I ever had any expensive repairs? No.

Each to their own for sure. You be happy in your Carina, I'd rather drive a nice 7-series for only pennies more ;)

The most annoying mantra on this forum is that every car that was expensive when new is gonna be expensive in repair costs. This mantra is always muttered by people who have never owned a well built (originally) expensive car

I have owned several cars that were very expensive when new. When I bought them, they weren't exactly banger money, but they all cost less than one tenth of what they cost new. And have I ever had any expensive repairs? No.

Each to their own for sure. You be happy in your Carina, I'd rather drive a nice 7-series for only pennies more ;)

Fully agree with all points made, but again the same car in its teenage years will cost you money and alot more than a Primera or Avensis of the same era.

the same car in its teenage years will cost you money and alot more than a Primera or Avensis of the same era.

Says who - someone who has never owned an E38? My E38 cost nothing apart from cheap servicing and one suspension job by the time it left me aged 13 years and with 141k miles on it.

BTW I once did own a nearly new '95 Primera for a bit over 2 years and I've never owned a more troublesome and unreliable car...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

At last, a 728i thread! Thanks VB! :D

Says who - someone who has never owned an E38? My E38 cost nothing apart from cheap servicing and one suspension job by the time it left me aged 13 years and with 141k miles on it.

BTW I once did own a nearly new '95 Primera for a bit over 2 years and I've never owned a more troublesome and unreliable car...

If my memory serves me correct that suspension job cost you nearly a grand? Big money for someone who (for arguments sake) just bought a E38 and needs work for the NCT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

BTW incase ya forgot i'm now the owner of a 05 Superb.

The Superb is still a long way off the GS300 you were planning to buy though.

We've seen many threads now with you speaking of whether it is buying a classic 700 Series Volvo or investing in a new decent motor for taxiing, yet each time it turns out to be a Carina E or an Avensis/Superb respectively.

Why can't you buy a barge and do the same? If we are talking about the cheapest way to get from a to b, then obviously your way is cheaaper - but theres nothing the least bit exciting about it.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    The Superb is still a long way off the GS300 you were planning to buy though.

We've seen many threads now with you speaking of whether it is buying a classic 700 Series Volvo or investing in a new decent motor for taxiing, yet each time it turns out to be a Carina E or an Avensis/Superb respectively.

And?

Why can't you buy a barge and do the same? If we are talking about the cheapest way to get from a to b, then obviously your way is cheaaper - but theres nothing the least bit exciting about it.

Its bangernomics, i never said it was sexy and interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Yep. It's sad but some fantastic old cars become liabilities. It's hard to tear yourself away from a car that you know has potential, or was fantastic in its heyday.

Still, better to give it away than spend money fixing something nobody wants to buy. At least it's out of your driveway.

Anyway...

MORE SMALL CARS PLEASE!!
    (<1.7)

EDIT-- How about this?
    550 for a 98 Almera with 76K miles and a year of NCT. Bland but fairly reliable yolks.
    http://www.gumtree.ie/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/98-nissan-almira-automatic/79143040

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Bangernomics is what you want it to be..
    In fairness your statement doesn't add up. It's like saying that a cat is actually a dog because I want it to be:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

smiley-face-popcorn.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

And?

My point is that you have never bit the bullet and bought the likes of a 728i, so you are hardly in a position to comment. How are you supposed to know how bad running costs are when you've never committed to any purchase other than about twenty-five Carina E's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Yeah but this is the motoring forum, not bargain alerts - so don't be surprised if people don't get moist about some of these cars.

Fair enough but there are many who use the motoring forum for day to day motor related queries and don't have a serious interest in cars too all the same if you know what I mean. Without having read it I would imagine posting a link to a second hand motor in the Bargain alerts forum would be in breach of the forum charter but I stand to be corrected on that one. The thread on hand relates specifically to cars that are cheap to buy, tax, fuel, insure etc. If you get moist about them you most likely need professional help.:)

If you do want to get moist as it were on the motors forum look for the threads on concept Ferraris and Porsches et al I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

bladebrew wrote: »

edit: where did the word "wanked out" come from!!

It means that the car has very little left to give, that is that the bag is now empty:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement