Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

kermitpwee wrote: »
    In fairness your statement doesn't add up. It's like saying that a cat is actually a dog because I want it to be:D

No, read my subsequent posts. On a phone so can't be arsed typing it all out again, but to summarise - buying old big car with less depreciation can be cheaper over a few years than buying newer smaller car with more depreciation. Is it about the cheapest a to b motoring? No, but that's as boring as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

VolvoMan wrote: »
    My point is that you have never bit the bullet and bought the likes of a 728i, so you are hardly in a position to comment. How are you supposed to know how bad running costs are when you've never committed to any purchase other than about twenty-five Carina E's?

They are a lovely car, but i dont need to own one to know that running one is more expensive than a Diesel Carina. As Unkel has had one before and has had to shell out €1000 for a suspension rebuild lets take into consderation of the fuel consumption, motor tax, tyres et all.

Again this should tell ya that a E38 is not a bangernomic contender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Eoin wrote: »
    No, read my subsequent posts. On a phone so can't be arsed typing it all out again, but to summarise - buying old big car with less depreciation can be cheaper over a few years than buying newer smaller car with more depreciation. Is it about the cheapest a to b motoring? No, but that's as boring as hell.

Again your comments make no sense, why are you talking about buying newer cars with depreciation? This thread is about buying cheap cars to run and buy and depreciation dosen't come into it as these cars are old anyway and cheap. You seem to be talking about a thread where the options are to buy an old luxury barge or a newer smaller car that will depreciate. This thread is not in anyway about such a topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,398 ✭✭✭✭Esel

si_guru wrote: »
    Needs a couple of shocks, but look at the shine... full set of wheel caps too!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2244616

View2-6746075.jpeg
    No NCT => ineligible.

To my mind, the bangers in this thread should cost max €500 and have at least 9 months NCT - and be cheap to tax! (or have some tax already).

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

I totally get this thread, if u want on the road for as little as possible, a v8 or leather seats are of no concern to you!

I own a 98 hyundai lantra which was bought between me and my mate to keep us on the road while our performance cars were gettin fixed. Some of u have seen this lantra at the dyno day! 97 bhp, and utter disgrace of a car.

I cant believe some of the snobbery on this thread, like I wouldnt be seen in that or I.d rather get the bus! I loved driving the shtbox lantra, I could park without fear of dings and its comedy handling was great fun and I was never worried about it being stolen or vandalised.

the other thread should be for bargains and this one for bangers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I own a 98 hyundai lantra which was bought between me and my mate to keep us on the road while our performance cars were gettin fixed.

oh ya, rub it in anyway ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Esel wrote: »
    No NCT => ineligible.

To my mind, the bangers in this thread should cost max €500 and have at least 9 months NCT - and be cheap to tax! (or have some tax already).

I agree. If it doesn't have at least 6-9 months of NCT it doesn't belong on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Just run in, Modern Turbo Diesel, and NCT'd = Bargain of the year..

View2?id=5724725

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1998622

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

My last bangernomics had 6months test and a decent set of tyres, and I got half the price back when I dropped it off to the scrappy a few days before the test was up. Like stealthyspeeder, I actually enjoyed it in a weird way - it was so crap it was good. Synchro gone in third, mad occasional misfire due to vacuum leak (fixed with duct tape - how bangernomics is that?) You could do things you just wouldn't do with a car you liked, it was basically skanky. Did the job for 6 months tho!

No NCT => ineligible.

€500 is a fairly low limit to suggest really, especially if you want 9 months NCT too.
    There'll be some right rancid crates of sh1te in here with that criteria.

• Advertisement

^^I agree with RJ, while my superbangernomics was fun for awhile, the novelty was wearing towards the end. I couldn't inflict it on myself month in month out. Mazda 626, Citroen Xantias, Mondeo MkII, for around the 800 mark are a better bet in fairness than sub500.

langdang wrote: »
    ^^I agree with RJ, while my superbangernomics was fun for awhile, the novelty was wearing towards the end. I couldn't inflict it on myself month in month out. Mazda 626, Citroen Xantias, Mondeo MkII, for around the 800 mark are a better bet in fairness than sub500.

I agree too. Sub €1000 is fine.

So a Bangernomics car should:

1. Be efficient enough (Max 2L)
    2. Cost < €1000.
    3. Have 6-9 months NCT minimum.
    4. Not be an overpriced dented Carina E.
    5. Have no major dents, scrapes or rust.
    6. Oh yeah, the big one - has to be disposable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

No NCT => ineligible.

Good point... I might still buy her though! the Estate in Cavan was proabably better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

kermitpwee wrote: »
    Again your comments make no sense, why are you talking about buying newer cars with depreciation? This thread is about buying cheap cars to run and buy and depreciation dosen't come into it as these cars are old anyway and cheap. You seem to be talking about a thread where the options are to buy an old luxury barge or a newer smaller car that will depreciate. This thread is not in anyway about such a topic.

This thread isn't, but you questioned why I might call buying a cheap old luxury car "bangernomics", and I explained why. Apart from the tax and fuel costs, it's exactly the same principle as this thread. Is it about the cheapest possible way of getting from A to B? No, as I've said more than once already. But it can still be cheaper in the long run than getting a new car that depreciates. That's why some people might consider it bangernomics, and that's why I made the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

That's not even worth taking! It's fecking 16 years old and been to the moon and back a few times, you would only get a years test on it (maybe less), the diff is going to cost you X amount, NCT alone between petrol and a test and 90% a retest that's another hundred euro...

And it's white!

Anywho, my friend who owns this needs rid of it. I drove it yesterday, I can't understand how he hasn't gotten one phonecall. It's probably the cleanest 95 car in the country (and I mean that!)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2237470

.......... I can't understand how he hasn't gotten one phonecall. ...........

It's June and the NCT is up in September would be my guess :)

RoverJames wrote: »
    It's June and the NCT is up in September would be my guess :)

It's funny he just text me after I posted saying a fella was on the way... I'm pretty sure once he drives it he won't leave it!

Happy out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Eoin wrote: »
    . But it can still be cheaper in the long run than getting a new car that depreciates.

Most things in life short of buying a house in 2007 are cheaper than getting a new car that depreciates.

I think there should be some form of total cost of ownership metric. My view is the cheapest way to run a car is to buy a fresh secondhand car of a reliable make (2-4 years old) and look after it. You will easily get 200k miles from an initial investment of €10,000 that way and still look respectable.

Anyway, the only way bargenomics make sense is if the car doesn't break down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Anywho, my friend who owns this needs rid of it. I drove it yesterday, I can't understand how he hasn't gotten one phonecall. It's probably the cleanest 95 car in the country (and I mean that!)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2237470
    I'd love to but its in limerick, too far to travel for a look at what would be a "whim" purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

Max Power1 wrote: »
    I'd love to but its in limerick, too far to travel for a look at what would be a "whim" purchase.
    a hell of a lot a car for what being sold for buttons:)

Max Power1 wrote: »

I can tell you now, I'd put my online reputation (lol) on it, that if you came down with 850 you would go home with a Merc. If it's stilll there Fri/Sat it's mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

langdang wrote: »
    My last bangernomics had 6months test and a decent set of tyres, and I got half the price back when I dropped it off to the scrappy a few days before the test was up. Like stealthyspeeder, I actually enjoyed it in a weird way - it was so crap it was good. Synchro gone in third, mad occasional misfire due to vacuum leak (fixed with duct tape - how bangernomics is that?) You could do things you just wouldn't do with a car you liked, it was basically skanky. Did the job for 6 months tho!
    Here is the thing though, you had an NCT on a pile of shite. You put up with a car that sounds like it was falling apart. Somehow this is accepted as "bangernomics" yet a 728i/A8 etc is not as "cost a lot to fix".

You do not have to fix Bangernomics cars... just sell it/part it out/scrap it and get another banger. You can do this in a big, formally expensive car with the huge added perk that the parts in an e38 or A8 cost more than the car, you could drive it, then part it out and either break even or make a profit.

To me Bangernomics is about value and non-attachment. Sometimes thats an old 7 series, sometimes its something more pedestrian. I know of e38s being sold for under EUR500 and a e39 540i missing a rear wheel for EUR600.

Meh, I'm poor :p

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Here is the thing though, you had an NCT on a pile of shite. You put up with a car that sounds like it was falling apart. Somehow this is accepted as "bangernomics" yet a 728i/A8 etc is not as "cost a lot to fix".

You do not have to fix Bangernomics cars... just sell it/part it out/scrap it and get another banger. You can do this in a big, formally expensive car with the huge added perk that the parts in an e38 or A8 cost more than the car, you could drive it, then part it out and either break even or make a profit.

To me Bangernomics is about value and non-attachment. Sometimes thats an old 7 series, sometimes its something more pedestrian. I know of e38s being sold for under EUR500 and a e39 540i missing a rear wheel for EUR600.

Matt, I think the real protest is spending more than the car is worth on tax every year. That's my problem with Luxonomics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2254077

Booked for NCT so maybe a deal possible to collect it afterwards

700e

(I'm not bothered arguing. Its a good thread idea)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Confab wrote: »
    I agree too. Sub €1000 is fine.

So a Bangernomics car should:

1. Be efficient enough (Max 2L)
    2. Cost < €1000.
    3. Have 6-9 months NCT minimum.
    4. Not be an overpriced dented Carina E.
    5. Have no major dents, scrapes or rust.
    6. Oh yeah, the big one - has to be disposable.

I just missed the title, I'm 50 euro over the Cost element, but I just bought:

1999 Volvo s40 2.0T (LPT - 160bhp), 75,000 miles, 1 owner from new, sports suspension, leather, NCT Feb 2013, €1,050

tumblr_lmq5mmpop91qgvzqho1_500.jpg

Compared to my old bangernomics which I had for almost 7 years trouble free but is now losing coolant :-(
    1998 Nissan Almera 2.0d (non-turbo diesel), 193,000 miles, NCT Jan 2012

Changes in performance:
    0 - 60 time
    Almera = 16.3 sec (73bhp!)
    s40 = 8.2 sec :)

Change in economy:
    Almera: 46mpg
    s40: 30-ish mpg :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Well I'm on my second bangernomics car.
    First one was a 00 Mazda 626 2.0 petrol. Cost me €850. Did the rear brakes and put a 2 year NCT on it. On the road with insurance covered for ~€1,250.
    That was vandalised when I left it overnight in town and I now have a '97 E200 Merc 2.0 petrol.
    Came with over a years test and including insurance, again, I'm on the road for ~€1300.
    So Merc or Mazda, it depends what you find to be a bangernomics car. For me personally, it also had to be cheap to run, which is inclues Insurance and running costs. For others maybe not - either or, I think some people here are missing the point that you can have a Merc that fits the "proper" bangernomics criteria but there are also other cars that will fit into both threads. You can still buy a "nice" bangernomics car with 2.0ltr petrol engines, that won't blow up in your face either.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

3 door hatchback corolla, looks in decent nick

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2253219

View2-6781345.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I can tell you now, I'd put my online reputation (lol) on it, that if you came down with 850 you would go home with a Merc. If it's stilll there Fri/Sat it's mine.
    ... and I've only had the current car a month dont think I could change yet!! (And I still have the old fiesta parked up aswell)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement