Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Call me a sceptic... but.

Ever notice how many cars are for sale with a recent service and a new t-belt??

These generous people are probably the same unlucky sods who get caught for no tax on their way to the motor tax office...

/rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

anyone know what insurance would be for a 21 year old with no ncb? (would be a first car and no licence yet)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

You're talking in excess of 2000 for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

<<< Another HUGE car that nobody on a tight budget would ever consider.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    anyone know what insurance would be for a 21 year old with no ncb? (would be a first car and no licence yet)

21, provisional license, no ncb on an S320 :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Tea_Bag wrote: »

I'd be surprised if you were quoted at all to be honest. That's really not a good choice for your first car anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

Can we not like keep the engine size reasonable? (<1.8)
    Bangernomics shouldn't only be cheap to buy but also cheap to feed/tax/insurance.
    Hope that helps. :)

Bangernomics shouldn't only be cheap to buy but also cheap to feed/tax/insurance.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056298940

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,633 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I Was VB wrote: »
    If my memory serves me correct that suspension job cost you nearly a grand? Big money for someone who (for arguments sake) just bought a E38 and needs work for the NCT

You're quoting things way out of context. Back when I had my suspension work done, an 11 year old good condition 7-series in need of a grands worth of work was still worth 5k. Now it would only be worth 500...

And someone buying a 7-series with no NCT that turns out it need expensive work done to pass the NCT, is a fool who doesn't understand bangernomics at all...

An old 7 in good condition with a long NTC is unlikely to cost more to maintain (except tyres obviously) than any other car of the same age / mileage. And should it cost more for some reason or other, scrap it and buy another one.

Now if you want to start a thread "the cheapest sh1tcar of the week / day" please go ahead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Matt Simis wrote: »
    a e39 540i missing a rear wheel for EUR600.

Got a link? Might be interested in that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

As roverjames said theres another thread for cheap small cars. This is more "luxonomics" :D

And thats the ways I likes it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

Found this 97 c180 in Waterford, manual, 155k NCT, looks good and clean with NCT 01/12 (sorry don't know how to link)
    Would be a great buy for 6/650 if you could get it

View2-6766194.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

It would be a great first car though. I could be a smug bastard with a car that costs the same as my friends ford fiesta.

its a real shame though. Id have bought it today if i thought it'd be in any way reasonable to drive and insure.

it should also read: 21, Male, provisional, S320 3.2L

cant be worse than being quoted €3200 for a named driver on my moms 1.6 Laguna a few years back... needless to say i told them to shove it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

si_guru wrote: »

The ad should say "suitable for conversion into a herse"

Glad to see a new thread.

Too much car snobbery in the other thread. A large car at any price is impossible for anyone on a tight budget, because you have to tax, insure, and feed it.

Hopefully most of the cars in this thread will be cheap to run as well as being cheap to buy.

Subscribed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,418 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The pictures of that S class with the back of it on a speed ramp are not great. You wouldnt know how its really sitting on its suspension.

condra wrote: »
    Glad to see a new thread.

Too much car snobbery in the other thread. A large car at any price is impossible for anyone on a tight budget, because you have to tax, insure, and feed it.

Hopefully most of the cars in this thread will be cheap to run as well as being cheap to buy.

Subscribed.

Agreed.. what use is €800 car that has road tax of €1200, does low 20's mpg on petrol and needs tyres at €150 each... etc.

EXACTLY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

You mean what use is it in a Bangernomic thread. But it has plenty of use to others.

You mean what use is it in a Bangernomic thread. But it has plenty of use to others.

Yes. Sorry.

Now if I had a barn to store up some classics it would be different. But for budget motoring (long term) it's never going to work with a big motor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Think this thread is a great idea! :)

Keeps all the sh1te of the other thread leaving us with nice cars at decent prices! :cool:

See ya later loosers! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The only Camry in Ireland that's not a former taxi (probably).

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2151447
    Full?id=6362472

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

Does this fit in here?

No mention of tax but 7 months NCT for €500

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2252000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Think this thread is a great idea! :)

Keeps all the sh1te of the other thread leaving us with nice cars at decent prices! :cool:

See ya later loosers! :p

That's exactly what pleases me! Every car posted here so far is something I'd be ashamed to be seen putting petrol in.

AND!!! Some posted a Bravo! 3 of them!

Sinner

/Back off to the Luxo thread

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    The only Camry in Ireland that's not a former taxi (probably).

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2151447
    Full?id=6362472

I think anything that's old and black is been branded as an Embassy vehicle lately :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

daRobot wrote: »
    Got a link? Might be interested in that.
    Was last year, Id be interested too! Some of these oddball things never get offered public ally. A few people here in the trade prolly see or here about them though, maybe they could give us a heads up?

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Was last year, Id be interested too! Some of these oddball things never get offered public ally. A few people here in the trade prolly see or here about them though, maybe they could give us a heads up?

I think they keep them for themselves if they think someone else might want them :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I see the name of the thread has been changed to reflect the barges!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

That's exactly what pleases me! Every car posted here so far is something I'd be ashamed to be seen putting petrol in.

AND!!! Some posted a Bravo! 3 of them!

Sinner

/Back off to the Luxo thread

Damn straight! ;)

*Unsubscribes* :D

• Advertisement

Max Power1 wrote: »
    I see the name of the thread has been changed to reflect the barges!

Aye... No more Carina's in here thank god :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement