Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Vote to merge the threads again. Too many handbags flying around the place in the last day or so............

The original thread had a nice bit of banter to it also,

Wanna see bargains in the one thread, be it, luxo or ****e box.

If it aint broke ..................

Simples :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

One for VB so:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2255318

Come on lads, start posting cars and stop bickering.

Confab wrote: »
    One for VB so:

not easy to check on the phone but is that tony boland selling that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

It's what we've called Bangernomics for a long time now, I don't a "dictionary" definition is coming into it.

Plus, of course looks and personal taste comes into it.

When the other thread started many moons ago I posted on it outlining what bangernomics was, you may have been calling bangernomics something else for a long time but that still doesn't make it bangernomics. I have been following James Ruperts bangernomics for years and I don't see why people cant get that it's not buying a cheap barge. Its about running a car for the least amount of money. Looks and personal taste do not come into as that is not what bangernomics is about. If you want to buy an old 728 with all the extras for 1500 euro then thats your business. If it runs okay you will have got an absolute bargain and will have gained pleasure from it. I don't have a problem with that you may even tell people you have beat the sytem but if you tell people that it is bangernomics then you are incorrect. It's as simple as that, you can say what you want but the fact is that it is not bangernomics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Confab wrote: »
    One for VB so:

No mention of tax or test but if that checks out it would be a nice find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

kermitpwee wrote: »
    When the other thread started many moons ago I posted on it outlining what bangernomics was, you may have been calling bangernomics something else for a long time but that still doesn't make it bangernomics. I have been following James Ruperts bangernomics for years and I don't see why people cant get that it's not buying a cheap barge. Its about running a car for the least amount of money. Looks and personal taste do not come into as that is not what bangernomics is about. If you want to buy an old 728 with all the extras for 1500 euro then thats your business. If it runs okay you will have got an absolute bargain and will have gained pleasure from it. I don't have a problem with that you may even tell people you have beat the sytem but if you tell people that it is bangernomics then you are incorrect. It's as simple as that, you can say what you want but the fact is that it is not bangernomics.

Nail & Head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Lads, what do you think of this:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A8/4.2-QUAT/201017197788889/advert?channel=CARS

Setting aside for a second the high tax, insurance and petrol bills (and cork reg! :)) - would I get years of happy motoring out of this machine or would some super-expensive part fail and leave me stuck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

id give that another 8k of a fall before id touch it, but give it 3 years and depreciation wont be an issue anymore

lovely motor though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

id give that another 8k of a fall before id touch it, but give it 3 years and depreciation wont be an issue anymore

lovely motor though

Is that the going rate for a A8? 13K for a 03? Surely the simmilar S Class would be in the 8-10 K range?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I can't really be arsed continuing a silly, pedantic argument over a makey-uppy phrase. Rightly or wrongly, it means different things to different people - and now that distinction has been made with the two threads, so it's all good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

kermitpwee wrote: »
    I have been following James Ruperts bangernomics for years and I don't see why people cant get that it's not buying a cheap barge. Its about running a car for the least amount of money. Looks and personal taste do not come into as that is not what bangernomics is about. If you want to buy an old 728 with all the extras for 1500 euro then thats your business. If it runs okay you will have got an absolute bargain and will have gained pleasure from it. I don't have a problem with that you may even tell people you have beat the sytem but if you tell people that it is bangernomics then you are incorrect. It's as simple as that, you can say what you want but the fact is that it is not bangernomics.

From James Ruppert's (not 'Rupert' ;)) own website:
    http://bangernomics.tripod.com/barge.htm

One of his own bangernomics cars that he had a while back was an E34 525i, and in his more recent updates (on his current website) he had a '95 Jag XJ and a Rover 800 Sterling. So I'd feel pretty safe in saying that a cheap old 7 Series is definitely bangernomics, it's just barges are not for everyone and the other thread was becoming almost exclusively barges.

@unkel: How much does it cost to service a 7er? What about other consumables like brake pads, etc.?

I Was VB wrote: »
    Is that the going rate for a A8? 13K for a 03? Surely the simmilar S Class would be in the 8-10 K range?

it would be , hence why im saying it needs a drop , the going rate would be 8-10k i think thats a little high in price but an audi a8 isnt in the same leauge as an s class or higher end 7er in my book , itll be a good buy when it hits the sub 4k mark in a few years but for now i think your money would be better off spent on a 7er or s class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,398 ✭✭✭✭Esel

That price is definitely not suited to this Banger Luxo-bargonomics thread, unless we remove the nomics bit.

Another vote for a thread merge. We were getting along fine with one thread, imo.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,398 ✭✭✭✭Esel

From James Ruppert's (not 'Rupert' ;)) own website:
    http://bangernomics.tripod.com/barge.htm

One of his own bangernomics cars that he had a while back was an E34 525i, and in his more recent updates (on his current website) he had a '95 Jag XJ and a Rover 800 Sterling. So I'd feel pretty safe in saying that a cheap old 7 Series is definitely bangernomics, it's just barges are not for everyone and the other thread was becoming almost exclusively barges.
    Barges are eligible in the UK because of the much cheaper tax, though....

I'm in favour of a single thread, tbh.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Esel wrote: »
    That price is definitely not suited to this Banger Luxo-bargonomics thread, unless we remove the nomics bit.

Another vote for a thread merge. We were getting along fine with one thread, imo.

Sorry I'm new to the Motors forum, I saw the "Luxobarge" bit and thought this was the right thread. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

So I'd feel pretty safe in saying that a cheap old 7 Series is definitely bangernomics, it's just barges are not for everyone and the other thread was becoming almost exclusively barges.
    To be fair - he's in the UK. Where they don't bend you over a barrel in motor tax for anything with more than 2.0 capacity ;) Expensive motor tax to them is £500! You'd barely tax a 1.9 for that over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

can it not go back to one thread? I enjoyed coming on a few times a day and scoping for bargains that i might have missed on dd.

I dont come here to look at an I.C.A meeting in full swing on two threads.

Dr_Teeth wrote: »
    Sorry I'm new to the Motors forum, I saw the "Luxobarge" bit and thought this was the right thread. :)

ahh pretty much the idea of here is to find luxobarges in good nick with tax and nct if possible for less than 5 grand so their worth buying to run into the ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Wait... it's £215 a year for anything (pre March 2001) over 1549cc!?
    I never knew there was such a shocking disparity between here and there! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Just noticed this: http://www.carzone.ie/search/Citroen/Xsara/2.0-HDI-/201114201872224/advert?channel=CARS

Nice price! Diesel and everything :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Threads merged. There is no point in having two and they are a nightmare to Mod.

Play nice ladies:D

Wait... it's £215 a year for anything (pre March 2001) over 1549cc!?
    I never knew there was such a shocking disparity between here and there! :eek:
    Yup - lads I've chatted with are crying about £493 road tax on a 3.5GDi Shogun - it'd be €1566 over here, so they soon stop their whinging. :D

Top Dog wrote: »
    Yup - lads I've chatted with are crying about £493 road tax on a 3.5GDi Shogun - it'd be €1566 over here, so they soon stop their whinging. :D

:O im off to the uk so

Tempting isn't it? Passenger 4x4's are considered to be the same category as an estate car over there, hence the reasonable rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

nah no ya wont :pac:

Top Dog wrote: »
    Tempting isn't it? Passenger 4x4's are considered to be the same category as an estate car over there, hence the reasonable rates.

jaysus , and no vrt either, landcruiser amazon here I come

almanu wrote: »
    nah no ya wont :pac:

considering a house in newry so customs can do nothing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

considering a house in newry so customs can do nothing :D

Council tax + water rates... = £3000 or so.

PRSI is 11%..etc,etc,etc..

si_guru wrote: »
    Council tax + water rates... = £3000 or so.

PRSI is 11%..etc,etc,etc..

if only there was some way to live 2 places at once

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

EPM wrote: »
    Threads merged. There is no point in having two and they are a nightmare to Mod.

Play nice ladies:D

You're an awful bollix Berty! :mad::D;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement