Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Im looking for a bmw 728
    If anyone spies a nice one plz let me know:)

You're in the right place :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Im looking for a bmw 728
    If anyone spies a nice one plz let me know:)

Why bother with the 728? Tax, MPG and insurance aren't significantly higher on the 735i or 740i. No point buying the entry model imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

Confab wrote: »
    Why bother with the 728? Tax, MPG and insurance aren't significantly higher on the 735i or 740i. No point buying the entry model imo.

All of those things will be SIGNIFICANTLY higher on a 735i or a 740i
    Even the entry model 7-series is going to have pretty high spec anyway.
    Power wise the 2.8 engine isn't the fastest but you wouldn't have any problems if you had to overtake someone...

TAx will be a few hundred more, hardly a deal breaker, insurance for most won't be as big a difference as the tax, can't comment on the mpg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

RoverJames wrote: »
    TAx will be a few hundred more, hardly a deal breaker, insurance for most won't be as big a difference as the tax, can't comment on the mpg.
    There would be very little difference in the mpg figures, if you drive the car on the motorway or on N-roads (my friend's 740i averages 31mpg and that is a 728i territory). City driving - it all depends on your right foot, but the 6-cylinder would be more frugal anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Confab wrote: »

My reason is tht a mechanic i know has a '00 728 and told me it is cheaper to maintain and easier to work on than a 740.
    I would go for a 740 if a good one came up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,632 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Indeed. The straight 6 in 2l form in a 5-series doesn't return much more than 25MPG if you live in an urban area. In 2.8l form in the heavier 7-series it will return no more than the V8 engines. Remember these big engines do not have to work very hard!

I'm currently doing about 25MPG in my E39 520i manual. I did about 20MPG in both my E34 530i (V8 auto) and E38 735i (V8 auto). Even at 10k miles per year that will only cost you €10 extra per week :)

To me it is incomprehensible why 728s are so popular in this country...

unkel wrote: »
    Indeed. The straight 6 in 2l form in a 5-series doesn't return much more than 25MPG if you live in an urban area.............

I rarely saw over 23 from my e34 520i touring, 26mpg I think it did Cork to Mayo return.

My reason is tht a mechanic i know has a '00 728 and told me it is cheaper to maintain and easier to work on than a 740.
    I would go for a 740 if a good one came up.

Both engines are strong and last a long time. Neither would need to be worked on really apart from oil servicing. As the V8s generally have an easier life, they would require even less work :D

The V8s should be good for 250k miles without major work, by which time the rest of the car (autobox i.e.) is probably gone already, so the car is no more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Indeed. The straight 6 in 2l form in a 5-series doesn't return much more than 25MPG if you live in an urban area. In 2.8l form in the heavier 7-series it will return no more than the V8 engines. Remember these big engines do not have to work very hard!

I'm currently doing about 25MPG in my E39 520i manual. I did about 20MPG in both my E34 530i (V8 auto) and E38 735i (V8 auto). Even at 10k miles per year that will only cost you €10 extra per week :)

To me it is incomprehensible why 728s are so popular in this country...

Out of interest why did you get rid of your 735i and go for the 520? Surely a massive step downwards. The e38 7 is my favourite of all the 7s or s classes. Very business like interior with the armrest telephone. Id say it handled well for such a big car. Must see about getting one even as a toy for a few weeks before it is let on , always wanted one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

lomb wrote: »
    Out of interest why did you get rid of your 735i and go for the 520? Surely a massive step downwards. The e38 7 is my favourite of all the 7s or s classes. Very business like interior with the armrest telephone. Id say it handled well for such a big car. Must see about getting one even as a toy for a few weeks before it is let on , always wanted one...

ahh, somebody else who likes the e38s armrest phone.

theyre lovely cars, my age (insurance) is the only thing stopping me , in reality if your buying and old 7er your better off going for the 740 or 750 , if your going to be paying that much tax atleast max it out with a 4 or 5 litre v8/v12 luxobarge

Out of interest why did you get rid of your 735i and go for the 520?

It didn't quite happen like that :D

I had the 735 (wife has a Rover 75) and then a Porsche 928 came along that I couldn't resist buying. I thought I'd have the 7-series sold in no time as it was in excellent condition and with full service history. But that was in January '08 and the recession started and people stopped buying cars with big engines altogether...

So the 735 was sitting on the driveway, unused. Until someone offered to swap it for a 520. Which we then used as the family car and the Rover 75 has been sitting on the driveway since...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

So the 735 was sitting on the driveway, unused. Until someone offered to swap it for a 520. Which we then used as the family car and the Rover 75 has been sitting on the driveway since...

I woulda sold the Rover and kept the 7er TBH!;)

It didn't quite happen like that :D

I had the 735 (wife has a Rover 75) and then a Porsche 928 came along that I couldn't resist buying. I thought I'd have the 7-series sold in no time as it was in excellent condition and with full service history. But that was in January '08 and the recession started and people stopped buying cars with big engines altogether...

Everything that has any value can be sold(or given away). Id have your rover sold in the morning but it could be for half of what you think its worth. Problem is anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it not what one thinks its worth.
    Thats why a new Avensis that starts at 26 is worth 20 at year one, 14 at year 2, and 10 at year 3, and its nearly worthless by year 6 or 7. Thats the torture of the market and the beauty also. Thats why I could probably pick up a 100 grand piece of kit for haypennys. Thats bangernomics;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Full?id=6928071
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2288989

Very cheap, no NCT, I'm suspect.

Everything that has any value can be sold(or given away). Id have your rover sold in the morning but it could be for half of what you think its worth. Problem is anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it not what one thinks its worth.
    Thats why a new Avensis that starts at 26 is worth 20 at year one, 14 at year 2, and 10 at year 3, and its nearly worthless by year 6 or 7. Thats the torture of the market and the beauty also. Thats why I could probably pick up a 100 grand piece of kit for haypennys. Thats bangernomics;)

You're not serious are you :pac:
    Profound stuff there :cool:

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I woulda sold the Rover and kept the 7er TBH!;)

Oh I contemplated that alright :cool:

The 7 is not so suitable for 3 kids (in child seats) in the back, you know the way the seats are shaped it is really only for 2 in the back. Plus the middle belt is only a lapbelt

Everything that has any value can be sold(or given away). Id have your rover sold in the morning but it could be for half of what you think its worth.

Wow, will you sell it for me?

Oh I contemplated that alright :cool:

The 7 is not so suitable for 3 kids (in child seats) in the back, you know the way the seats are shaped it is really only for 2 in the back. Plus the middle belt is only a lapbelt

I suppose but is the Rover (or any other car) that much better? A lot of cars only have lap belts for the middle seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I was driving my sisters 320ci for a few days while trying to sell it for her and whether diesel has ruined me or what, but christ it was an absolute sow on petrol, I was only potting around town in it and it just drank and drank and drank!

And on that note, I've just about hit 4,000 miles in my Bangernomics Golf estate (just hit 237,000) and it's still driving away like a new car, doesn't burn a drop of oil, no smoke and it's never failed to start. To say I'm delighted with it is an understatement, I'd love a petrol car again though!

• Advertisement

I was driving my sisters 320ci for a few days while trying to sell it for her and whether diesel has ruined me or what, but christ it was an absolute sow on petrol, I was only potting around town in it and it just drank and drank and drank!

And on that note, I've just about hit 4,000 miles in my Bangernomics Golf estate (just hit 237,000) and it's still driving away like a new car, doesn't burn a drop of oil, no smoke and it's never failed to start. To say I'm delighted with it is an understatement, I'd love a petrol car again though!

Diesel = Fuel Of The Devil! ;)

4,000 miles? You only have it a month or so? She'll hit 300k by the end of the year at that rate!:eek:

(Slight exaggeration for effect!:p)

Yeah it's cheap to run so I can't stop driving it! It's probably more, I think I bought it with just under 232k, there's almost 237k on it now!

I suppose but is the Rover (or any other car) that much better? A lot of cars only have lap belts for the middle seat.

75 has 3 full belts in the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I want this but I only have €800 to spend. Can you make it happen?
    Full?id=6900125

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

Heh

Wow, will you sell it for me?

Sure... for a fee:cool:
    Its been for sale on adverts I think for a while I think, Id have it gone in a fortnight or so I reakon:)

I want this but I only have €800 to spend. Can you make it happen?
    Full?id=6900125

No chance ... Cars like that actually appreciate in value as there is a limited supply and steady or increasing demand.
    Not a great car anyway so I doubt your missing anything.

RoverJames wrote: »
    75 has 3 full belts in the back.

Feckin' dirt boxes - never set foot in one of 'em! :p

popcorn.gif

:pac:

• Advertisement