Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

A friend of mine was looking at that as well, I must ask him did he go any futher with it. An eastern European lad was selling the one I linked above as well. 60 or 70% of the big luxo barges seem to be sold by them!

But that was their style at the time , Big Mercs , Big Audis etc etc . Now that all th ebuilding site jobs are gone they cant afford the petrol nevermind anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Saab Ed wrote: »
    But that was their style at the time , Big Mercs , Big Audis etc etc . Now that all th ebuilding site jobs are gone they cant afford the petrol nevermind anything else.

Maybe that explains why the 735 hasn't been taxed since 08 :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

RoverJames wrote: »
    Not a bad bangernomics car, sold her a couple of hours ago, pity I put €90 petrol into her this morning :rolleyes: Ah well.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1413859

That was a nice old motor to have. The tourings are pretty handy

You're talking like a smallminded, xenophobic bigot who needs to wake up, without them we as a nation wouldn't have been able to do all the cushy jobs and avoid the hard ones that we felt were beneath us.

anyway for anyone else here, here's another "bangernomics" car, sub €1000, enough space for an average family, grand power from the crude but solid and dependable peugeot diesel

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1496526

_Conrad_ wrote: »
    You're talking like a smallminded, xenophobic bigot who needs to wake up, without them we as a nation wouldn't have been able to do all the cushy jobs and avoid the hard ones that we felt were beneath us.

Oh FFS sake not another one. No im not , its just that you never got out of your sisters underwear for long enough to live in the real world were people just make real world comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Oh FFS sake not another one. No im not , its just that you never got out of your sisters underwear for long enough to live in the real world were people just make real world comments.

Two of you chill out, and no more of that shìte please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭whippet

Maybe that explains why the 735 hasn't been taxed since 08 :P

my fear of these old barges is not the fact that the tax hasn't been paid, but what if any routine maintenance has been done on them since the downturn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭frank gooding

Big bus like that would have to be a diesel

I would imagine she would eat juice unless you were a saint on the go pedal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Turbo 940, Irish car, 700 euro with NCT: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1494842

• Advertisement

whippet wrote: »
    my fear of these old barges is not the fact that the tax hasn't been paid, but what if any routine maintenance has been done on them since the downturn.

That's my concern, namely the fact alot of Eatern european who buy and sell cars fix them themselves, and from personal experience I wouldn't trust some of the craftmanship.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Turbo 940, Irish car, 700 euro with NCT: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1494842

worth a look that, in fact i might myself if i get this other damn thing sold like it's supposed to be

worth a look that, in fact i might myself if i get this other damn thing sold like it's supposed to be

What's that?

What's that?

what's what? the thing that's supposed to be sold? merc

That was a nice old motor to have. The tourings are pretty handy

Yep, she was very handy for bringing an old garden shed to the dump along with most of the contents :D Could have done with it for another weekend to be honest now that I think of it.

Yep, she was very handy for bringing an old garden shed to the dump along with most of the contents :D Could have done with it for another weekend to be honest now that I think of it.

It's always the way, i sold my pickup, then regretted it, got a van, sold that, now a good friend needed help moving some stuff to her new hosue and i had to disappoint her by telling her for once i don'thave some sort of commercial, plus there's that volvo engine in the classic section that i want but can't pick up now, the list gos on :( ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

anyway for anyone else here, here's another "bangernomics" car, sub €1000, enough space for an average family, grand power from the crude but solid and dependable peugeot diesel

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1496526

Christ if i see one more of these bloody diesel 406's (which i find strangely appealling?!) being sold for peanuts im going to sell my corolla next week & get one.:mad::pac:

Back to my old banger

RJ is back in his Rover :D

RJ filled his Rover with petrol Friday, taxed it for 3 months, transferred his insurance, booked an NCT (got one for the 24th August too which was nifty) polished and waxed it today.............. and then the gearbox went. Not completely surprised as the box was whining a bit when I took it off the road but most R65 boxes whine a bit. Was sounding like someone was sharpening knives in it today.
    Yep, she was very handy for bringing an old garden shed to the dump along with most of the contents :DCould have done with it for another weekend to be honest now that I think of it.

How right I was :D

Bangernomics :cool: (it's not always plain sailing)

Just to see how I've faired out in the 4 years I've been driving cheapish yokes I consulted my excel file. Seemed a good time as I don't intend rebuilding / replacing the box nor paying for it to be done so I've written off the Coupe essentially. Although some bits may used, dunno though, too early to say.

So 7 cars over the 4 years (almost, October 2006 to now), including depreciation / appreciation and all maintenance, tyres, servicing etc but not including tax, insurance or petrol / diesel

Spent €14783.61 (€10830 was the actual total purchase price of the 7 cars)

Got back €12090

drove 46,500 miles

Suppose it's ok ish.

Apologies for the off topic but it's not too bad a place for such info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Considering spending <1500€ on a BMW E39 520i or E34 518i.

Worth a go? Anything to look out for.
    I'm open to alternatives too. The more boot space the better. Not sure if the rear seats fold on the 5 series but that'd be very handy.

• Advertisement

e34 1.8 will be awful slow, the little 4 cyl struggles in them. For similar money the e39 is a much better buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

eoin wrote: »
    Love that p1800.

There's one parked up close to me just left lying ......... must get a pic up on boards of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Are we allowed include 4x4's in Bangernomics ?

[IMG][/img]pajero.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Might get one of these for off public road use ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Bought this on Friday:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1385883

€850.
    Happy days. Mechanically perfect. (Rear brake calipers need a little attention but otherwise spot on)
    I don't know why I didn't do this years ago!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

cadaliac wrote: »

Good stuff.
    Might take a look at a few of them since they're going for great prices.
    How's the boot size?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭pcardin

That's my concern, namely the fact alot of Eatern european who buy and sell cars fix them themselves, and from personal experience I wouldn't trust some of the craftmanship.

You're funny! I cant see anything wrong that someone can fix his own car if he knows the stuff? A lot of EE guys know mechanics very well and do not pay to local garage 50 euro for changing bulb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭pcardin

A friend of mine was looking at that as well, I must ask him did he go any futher with it. An eastern European lad was selling the one I linked above as well. 60 or 70% of the big luxo barges seem to be sold by them!

Them in EE preffer to show their love to luxo barges instead of sheeps :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

pcardin wrote: »
    You're funny! I cant see anything wrong that someone can fix his own car if he knows the stuff? A lot of EE guys know mechanics very well and do not pay to local garage 50 euro for changing bulb.
    His point was they might not know their stuff, nor might the cash in hand type mechanics they use. At least if there's some form of service history/receipts, you can verify that.

pcardin wrote: »

I wasn't being sarcastic, nor being funny... I don't pay a garage to do anything, but if I fix something, I fix it right. Anywho, this isn't the place for this kinda talk, moving on :P

I got another one today ladies and gentlemen,A nice Mk4 Golf GTi 150bhp, with a FSH from day one, and one owner for the last 7 years... High miles though, but the car is absolutely spot on, with a mint interior and almost mint exterior...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

Typhoon. wrote: »

that link is broken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,548 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

Thats a cracker. Looks almost like its stolen or somethin

200e:eek:

View2?id=3786050

Jaysus its like a big oul ugly dog that should have been put down years ago but it still trundles around refusing to die.:D

No log book, 1.6 Carina...

In fairness, the way this thead has been going, that's an epic fail for the most part.

No log book, 1.6 Carina...

In fairness, the way this thead has been going, that's an epic fail for the most part.

€200.....

Jaysus its like a big oul ugly dog that should have been put down years ago but it still trundles around refusing to die.:D

Limerick man thanked this post but I think he wants to kill the loyal old dog as opposed to appreciating it's resilience :pac: (which is how i understood it)

If i had 200 bob looking for a car i'd be chuffed to find this tank.

bigbadbear wrote: »
    Limerick man thanked this post but I think he wants to kill the loyal old dog as opposed to appreciating it's resilience :pac: (which is how i understood it)

If i had 200 bob looking for a car i'd be chuffed to find this tank.

Yeah they're reliable old machines alright. I personally wouldn't want a fairly big car like that with a little 1.6 engine in it. Underpowered & probably not particularly frugal?

Also if it didn't pass the nct it might end up costing you a lot more than 200 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

The 1.6 is meant to be 100brake, not bad really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Two and a half words that are just music to my ears!!

And they will not die, they are the cockroach of the motoring world will still trundle along quite happily mine is still covering 700-900 miles a week with no problems.

Sure didnt the pope have one and all!!

Toyota Carina E <3!!

probably not particularly frugal?

They are quite light on petrol to be fair :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭delynet

:(

It's a 1.6, possible ex taxi, Carina with no log book, tax or nct! No mother how much of a noble steed they are, that's not bangernomics! It's just not, so quit ye're jibber jabbering :P

delynet wrote: »

That's seriously cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Magown3

I'm only posting this as I have no intention of buying it... Even tho I've loved those cars ever since watching the film Ronin

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1502865

Full?id=3787518

2 Years NCT and a bargain basement price!

I Was VB wrote: »
    Two and a half words that are just music to my ears!!

And they will not die, they are the cockroach of the motoring world will still trundle along quite happily mine is still covering 700-900 miles a week with no problems.

Sure didnt the pope have one and all!!

Toyota Carina E <3!!

I've never owned one but ive sat in a few & found them to be grand big comfortable cars.

Big, comfortable. Two words i can't associate with my current car. Corolla.:( Gonnna sell her soon & do a bit of bangernomic driving myself.

Magown3 wrote: »
    I'm only posting this as I have no intention of buying it... Even tho I've loved those cars ever since watching the film Ronin

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1502865

2 Years NCT and a bargain basement price!

€3000, is that a bargain for a 13 year old 2.8 A8 ? €3000 is a good amount of cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Magown3

€3000, is that a bargain for a 13 year old 2.8 A8 ? €3000 is a good amount of cash.

No it's not. When I viewed the ad it was only a few mins old and the price was actually €300.... Must have been edited after I viewed. His bad, not mine.

At 3k, it's not such a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Magown3 wrote: »
    No it's not. When I viewed the ad it was only a few mins old and the price was actually €300.... Must have been edited after I viewed. His bad, not mine.

At 3k, it's not such a bargain.

It was 300 when I clicked on the link too and even though I don't have it to spare, I considered whether I could buy it anyway. It was a serious bargain at 300, not so much at 3000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

+1

I don't think that's great value at all.

Sub 1500 and it'd be looking a bit better.

There's an S8 for 3500 on donedeal at the moment, but it looks a right aul' dog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

RichyX wrote: »
    Good stuff.
    Might take a look at a few of them since they're going for great prices.
    How's the boot size?
    Boot size is Ok. Its not hatch back size but fine for what I want it for.
    I couldn't believe how good the engine and running gear are. The Mazda 2.0 engine is pretty much trouble free and has been known for 200k plus mileage.
    Its just cheap motoring really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement