Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭alias no.9

More Alfa value, a fully loaded 2002 166 3.0 V6 with only 66k miles for less than €2k :eek:

Full?id=3530757

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,403 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

alias no.9 wrote: »
    More Alfa value, a fully loaded 2002 166 3.0 V6 with only 66k miles for less than €2k :eek:

Full?id=3530757

I had a 2.0 one of those. Very expensive car to actually keep on the road due to availability of parts only through dealer. Might be better now with many being dismantled. Sump was all too fond of hitting the road too.
    At 1.5k, I would consider it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Alfa's are cheap for a reason. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Alfa's are cheap for a reason. ;)

What's your point? If you spend a grand on one with a long test the worst that could happen is a repair costing a grand or more, in which case you could just buy another one for a grand. Alfa bangernomics is bangernomics with a bit of style and class :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

unkel wrote: »
    What's your point?

You know exactly what my point is :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

Went to look at that one today....

It has some damage of rear passenger drivers wing/wheel arch, abs warning light and a few other warning lights on...
    I was unable to establish if the timing belt was done recently

The code for the information control system is also lost....

Seems to be advertised twice ....
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1378928

In spite of it, it drives well enough on the short spin at least....
    alias no.9 wrote: »

Full?id=3530757

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Saab Ed wrote: »

"Future classic" :D:D

How far into the future are we talking about here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

"Future classic" :D:D

How far into the future are we talking about here?

what a yoke, the front and back are hard to tell apart.

lob a steering wheel either way and youd get away with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

That one's not too far from me, I see it every time I walk to the shops :)
    It looks pretty well kept, it's tempting but I don't think I could afford to keep it on the road (I should probably get a job first!). One of those cars that I thought looked really cool... when I was 7
    IIRC it's a UK import, was only brought into the country a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Saab Ed wrote: »

ahhh bugger ... I want that now :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Magown3

Heated seats front AND rear!!

God I hate the tax laws in this country!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1438262

Full?id=3533906

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

Magown3 wrote: »

Full?id=3533906

I saw one of these for sale for €16000 last year!!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

XM and ls400 look good alright. If the XM was genuine mileage I would love it. Very cool car but might not make thee "classic" status, cough cough...
    My only worry about these two cars would be the auto box in both. The Lexus probably has intergalactic mileage, and if there was a problem with either box, you could be looking at the value of the car. Then again, a test drive would answer any of those questions. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Magown3 wrote: »

Full?id=3533906

There's one of them around the corner from me for €1500, he'd prob take less again! About 110k miles, bargain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I know they were a page or two back, but god damn i want an Alfa GTV!

The 3l V6 is quite reliable, Alan. Fantastic engine. Tax is high and of course it'll cost you more than a 1.3l Toyota Corolla (I find it hard how fanboys of these cars reckon themselves to be car enthusiasts :D) in maintenance, but the GTVs can be had so cheaply now surely it's very tempting! With a few years NCB, insurance should not be that bad I suspect. Not a boy racers car at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

That's the first automatic Alfa I've ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭MarkN

34241_424468056784_560441784_4654337_2224027_n.jpg

Bought this tonight! €1,100!! Air con doesn't work, the petrol gauge doesn't work, most other things do. It's got 133,000 miles, loads of history and tonight I broke the bloody petrol release button so I've a full tank of juice but need to get it fixed asap.

NCT til 11/11 and it's on a loader because there's no tax and I didn't want to risk a drive from Wexford to Dublin. Looking out for something to replace the M3 long term but I was not wasting anymore money on car rental.

TI autos seem to be the place to ask about the fuel button and probably worth asking about the air con.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

MarkN wrote: »
    TI autos seem to be the place to ask about the fuel button and probably worth asking about the air con.

Radfix will sort your aircon problems, if in doubt and not electrical.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭Esel

@MarkN: Looks gorgeous! Pardon my ignorance, but what model/spec is it?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭Barr

There's one of them around the corner from me for €1500, he'd prob take less again! About 110k miles, bargain!

Alaways had a thing for these cars , barges of luxury.Cant belive they are so cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭MarkN

esel wrote: »
    @MarkN: Looks gorgeous! Pardon my ignorance, but what model/spec is it?

People here probably know more about it than me. It's a GTV, 2.0 t-spark engine and apparently the first batch of engines pre 1998 are more revvy and driveable. It's got a great little sound off the exhaust and the engine likes being wound up.

It's a nippy thing off the light's 150bhp I think.

I'd like to get the few things it needs fixed and maybe a respray with the alloys getting blasted and I reckon I could turn a small profit on it.

As I said, bangernomics with a bit of style and class. Best of luck with your Alfa, Mark :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

An M3 and a GTV... Some people!!:rolleyes:

Fair play, Mark. You've got a lovely car there.
    Look after her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭Barr

Bought this tonight! €1,100!! Air con doesn't work, the petrol gauge doesn't work, most other things do. It's got 133,000 miles, loads of history and tonight I broke the bloody petrol release button so I've a full tank of juice but need to get it fixed asap.

NCT til 11/11 and it's on a loader because there's no tax and I didn't want to risk a drive from Wexford to Dublin. Looking out for something to replace the M3 long term but I was not wasting anymore money on car rental.

Beautiful car, best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Beautiful car MarkN. Jealous....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Finally a proper car instead of that ole M3 stuff :D

seriously nice motor...

I'd like to get the few things it needs fixed and maybe a respray with the alloys getting blasted and I reckon I could turn a small profit on it.

Very nice little bus but I wouldn't hope to make any money on her, you'd struggle to get €1100 for her now. Which is strange enough as this time last year there were none of them for sale for less than €2000 / €2500 asking price.

PS - I reckon the tax wouldn't have been an issue when you just bought it, I've driven 3 or 4 ole cheap yokes with no tax for the few weeks after I bought them and have had no bother at all at checkpoints, all Gardai I have encountered have been completely sound, obviously I taxed them all once the change of ownership form came through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Car Mechanics Magazine had an Alfa GTV as a project car not so long ago. As far as I remember they covered it in about 5-6 issues. Dealt with most of the common problems. Usually they include parts suppliers as well.

http://www.testreports.co.uk/motors/carmechanics/test-reports/Alfa-Romeo-GTV-review-400.asp

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement