Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Confab wrote: »
    Surely your cars would be severely dented from all the rolling?

Nah that's still on topic. Sadly I don't have any reminiscences as I'm still on my first car.

Perfectly right!! That was indeed a roll fest :) Some driving and moving far more appropriate. Thanks m8. (got carried away)

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

A Toyota Crown Super on the drive also you say?? Beautiful Car, along with the Cressida they were a classy looking motor car. You were a priviligied 17 year old starting off their driving career in a 2l carina II or Camry:D

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Sorry E39Msport, My fault on going off on the tangent, anywho, I feel its my duty to get back on topic but suggesting this:-

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2185234

Tax would be a killer on this but it seems a decent price, any dark secrets about these cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Sorry E39Msport, My fault on going off on the tangent, anywho, I feel its my duty to get back on topic but suggesting this:-

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2185234

Tax would be a killer on this but it seems a decent price, any dark secrets about these cars?

Pity about the wheels, I think they're from a 240? Really don't suit the V70. Nice car all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

€1100, nice motor although the leather seats don't exactly look like they were the orginals going by the colour of them but you never know what some folk order :rolleyes:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2386863

I wouldn't imagine they are original. If they were wouldn't the 'side panels' be done in leather as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

A little rough but it's nearly free with the amount of tax on it

€600
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2358943
    Full?id=7232432

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

flash1080 wrote: »

...and my spidy senses tell me that one was built in Japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

si_guru wrote: »

Aren't most Toyotas built in Japan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,107 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Beer Baron wrote: »

Almost all which are currently on sale are built in the UK or Eastern Europe, I think the only exception now is the Prius and their Lexus stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

si_guru wrote: »

Why do you think its imported? if thats what you mean?

I reckon its original irish, twould be a corona in japan no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Beer Baron wrote: »

They have a plant in Derby, they charge other companies to go over and have a looksee at all their lean manufacturing systems, huge multinationals in loads of industries reckon Toyota are the bees knees manufacturing wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That's an xl model so likely to be irish spec.
    Being a liftback model would suggest its uk originally though

Do jap built carina e's have the antenna on the a pillar as opposed to the roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

flash1080 wrote: »
    thats a bloody henhouse sir :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Why do you think its imported? if thats what you mean?

I reckon its original irish, twould be a corona in japan no?

Oh it's original reg Irish alright.

Very early Carina Es were made in Japan - there are two things that give it away. I got this from my brother who was employee #40 at Burnaston - before car production began. BTW Carina, Avensis, Corolla 5 door, Auris and Prius are/were made in Derby. In fact, right now they ship Avensis back to Japan from the UK.

Anyway back to the theory.

1. There is a round shape molded into the dash top to accomodate the light sensor on JDM Carinas ...

2. On hatchbacks the rear wiper is on the offside.. All UK cars had the wiper mounted on the nearside.

...like I said - from the horses mouth.

You are now all qualified Toyota anoraks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Give I was VB you're number, I'm sure you'll both be very happy together!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,384 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It's still not a JDM Carina, though! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Esel wrote: »
    It's still not a JDM Carina, though! :D

I had a JDM Carina no body panel was the same as the ones we all know and love the Carina E's that were built in Japan and exported were the GTi and Executive models. The start of Japanese built Toyotas start with JT and English built Toyotas start with SB.

JDM Carina;
    DSC00628-1.jpg

And the Japanese version of the Carina is the Corona, most of them were white with a brown interior

DSC00416.jpg?t=1311998298

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

almanu wrote: »
    thats a bloody henhouse sir :(

I don't agree. A few months time you could get classic insurance on that car.
    Try getting a 10yr old BMW 730 insured for 135E and see how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

gyppo wrote: »
    I don't agree. A few months time you could get classic insurance on that car.
    Try getting a 10yr old BMW 730 insured for 135E and see how you get on.

i totally agree with the insurance and car choice , its just that there are much better models out there than that for around the same money , you just have to do a bit of research , that one looks as rough as hell .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Honest lookin aul thing for 300 quid. Lots of test and looks straight.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2337446

View2-7128742.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Saab Ed wrote: »

One of the very last of them, Great car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

colm_mcm wrote: »

And it nearly a 99. Thats a very late reg in 98 for Longford. NCT cert confirms this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Thats had a smack in the front at some stage due to the wrong grille and no badge on the bonnet I'd say. My old one looks the same these days.

Also looks like a taxi of some sort on the inside including the seat covers being pulled back for the photos. I'd say well and truly worn out and not worth the 850.

I reckon you would be lucky if it drove you home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

Saab Ed wrote: »

View2-7128742.jpeg

Already sold, lovely car :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Thats had a smack in the front at some stage due to the wrong grille and no badge on the bonnet I'd say. My old one looks the same these days.

Also looks like a taxi of some sort on the inside including the seat covers being pulled back for the photos. I'd say well and truly worn out and not worth the 850.

I reckon you would be lucky if it drove you home.

A very hard engine to kill. Only two things that will kill a engine like that is running dry on oil or a timing belt snapping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

-Corkie- wrote: »
    And it nearly a 99. Thats a very late reg in 98 for Longford. NCT cert confirms this.

For some reason in '98 there were a lot of cars registered like this. My own S70 was registered on 23rd December and I've seen many other cars registered in between Christmas Day and New Years Eve 1998. The only thing I can presume is that there was some sort of tax increase for 1999.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I Was VB wrote: »
    A very hard engine to kill. Only two things that will kill a engine like that is running dry on oil or a timing belt snapping.
    Agreed, as was the petrol engine but I'd imagine it is wrecked otherwise they would be driving it until the tax or NCT expired. It's worth very little so why bother selling it now unless there is a big bill looming

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement