Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Registration 98D44001
    VOLVO 70 SERIES
    S70 T5 2.4 AUTO
    PETROL

I'd.nearly buy that. It's a glt so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'd.nearly buy that. It's a glt so?

GLT didn't exist as a trim level after around 1995, except in the US. In fact, I think they did away with trim levels altogether around this period and just offered packages.

It's confusing the way it's down as a 2.4 yet is registered as a T5. It's either a 2.5T that is wrongly described or an actual T5. Either way, they are both quick cars and the former can be remapped to be as powerful as the latter. I say go for it if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

VolvoMan wrote: »
    GLT didn't exist as a trim level after around 1995, except in the US. In fact, I think they did away with trim levels altogether around this period and just offered packages.

It's confusing the way it's down as a 2.4 yet is registered as a T5. It's either a 2.5T that is wrongly described or an actual T5. Either way, they are both quick cars and the former can be remapped to be as powerful as the latter. I say go for it if you're interested.
    Few more pictures would have been nice though:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

tbf it looks a great price. if i wasnt saving money for a trip to chile in january id be making a trip to dublin to have a look and would probably take it off his hands even if it had a few faults. could be a cracking buy.

EDIT: talking about the volvo, wouldnt touch the bmw with a barge pole.

could always ring him up and ask him to email a few pics on. someone wanna do that and upload them here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Absurdum wrote: »
    99 Mazda MX5
    160k miles
    interior and roof look a bit ropey, bodywork looks ok
    1.6 Irish car
    no tax/NCT

but....€995

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/MX-5/1.6-cabr/201131203711700/advert?channel=CARS

opinions??

Gone I presume.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

No mention of tax or nct but Volvoman will love it..:)

Great car...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2309332

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2412870

Fresh test and T/B done 800 quid..

View2-7447890.jpeg

-Corkie- wrote: »
    No mention of tax or nct but Volvoman will love it..:)

Great car...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2309332

Ironically, the older estates that most people associate with the brand aren't really my thing. I mostly prefer their saloon equivalents.

Ironically, the older estates that most people associate with the brand aren't really my thing. I mostly prefer their saloon equivalents.

Same here tbh.

My bro in law bought a 91 940 petrol in 1995 ish and took it to a guy in Tullow who put a Nissan Blubird Daysul engine in to it..:)

Savage car for that time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

why does everybody recommend those volvos i know some of them are fast but they look so bad.. if you put wooden panels on them they wouldnt stand out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Well I can't speak for the 940 estate cause that is ugly, but the other volvos are cheap, fast and bulletproof mechanically, not to mention tanks when it comes to an accident. What's not to like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,384 ✭✭✭✭Esel

-Corkie- wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2412870

Fresh test and T/B done 800 quid..

View2-7447890.jpeg
    I chuckled at the fact that the pictures were taken at a recycling centre... :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    not to mention tanks when it comes to an accident. What's not to like?

They're definitely not tanks. A modern 5 star NCAP car will tear through them like butter in an accident.

shblob wrote: »
    why does everybody recommend those volvos i know some of them are fast but they look so bad.. if you put wooden panels on them they wouldnt stand out

You've obviously been living under a rock for the past twenty years:

2008-Volvo-C70-16.jpg

volvo-s80-4dec91e562ea0-4e21764a7b252.jpg

Prior to the 1970's, Volvo's range was also quite pretty. This was their bread and butter saloon:

00022557_Volvo_Amazon_Volvo.jpg

To write off the looks of every single car a company has made is madness IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

You've obviously been living under a rock for the past twenty years:

2008-Volvo-C70-16.jpg

volvo-s80-4dec91e562ea0-4e21764a7b252.jpg

Off topic, but I think beauty may be in the eye of the beholder in this instance. I don't know many people who would consider either of those cars particularly striking, especially when compared to the best of their competitors.

-Chris- wrote: »
    Off topic, but I think beauty may be in the eye of the beholder in this instance. I don't know many people who would consider either of those cars particularly striking, especially when compared to the best of their competitors.

I'm not saying they're stunning, I'm just pointing out the fact that they are hardly 'bad' looking. The S80 in particular is certainly a better design than the likes of the W211 E-Class that was out at the time.

I could find you a photo of a strinking model they have produced (P1800, 1st gen C70 etc.), but I have dragged the thread off topic as it is.

You've obviously been living under a rock for the past twenty years........................

I think the chap was just referring to the 940 and not all Volvos ever made, the 940 is a fairly rotten looking ole yoke.

RoverJames wrote: »
    I think the chap was just referring to the 940 and not all Volvos ever made, the 940 is a fairly rotten looking ole yoke.

Ah, I see.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

RoverJames wrote: »

That is not the point of one, yes they are very plain and very boxy/slab sided, but if you wanted a tough car to do any job asked of it and be a nice place to sit in then there are far worse ways of getting that than an old volvo.

Also whoever put a bluebird diesel in a volvo estate needs a slap, even if done in 1995. Reliable though engine yes by all means but totally gutless. I had one in an old opel and it was almost flat out at 55, after taking easily 30 seconds to get there. on hills.... forget it, second gear all the way.

Volvo's own D24T (version of VW 2.4 straight 6, turbo diesel) would have been far better, or even a patrol straight 6 or mercedes diesel would have suited it better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,417 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

-Chris- wrote: »

I think they are both fine looking cars and I am not a volvo fan at all.

• Advertisement

I agree with people who criticise the 940 to an extent, although later Turbo models can look nice and sort of have a timeless look to them like a classic Range Rover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,627 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I agree with people who criticise the 940 to an extent, although later Turbo models can look nice and sort of have a timeless look to them like a classic Range Rover.

Classic Range Rover is timeless. The outline look of the model hasn't changed substantially over the last 40 years. A bit like how a classic Porsche 911 from the 60s still looks fresh and classic now. I'm afraid a 940 is not timeless. It still looks like a brick. A horribly ugly brick. Not like a nice honest brick the 240 was :)

unkel wrote: »
    Classic Range Rover is timeless. The outline look of the model hasn't changed substantially over the last 40 years. A bit like how a classic Porsche 911 from the 60s still looks fresh and classic now. I'm afraid a 940 is not timeless. It still looks like a brick. A horribly ugly brick. Not like a nice honest brick the 240 was :)

The 940 could trace its roots back to the 700 Series (740/760) of 1982, so it was quite a long running model and definitely had iconic status through American TV/film. In addition to the fact that the 200 Series was left in production for far too long, I would say however that the basic estate versions of these cars are the reason Volvo Cars finds itself in the brand identity hole it can't seem to get out of today.

In my opinion, they managed to turn the 960 into quite a handsome car with the facelift they gave it in 1994:

volvo-960.jpg

I think the main problem with all Volvo's in general is that people convince themselves they don't like them before they even see them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Tidy Hyundai Elantra, not the worst looking car you will ever see.

http://cars.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/cars/2417582
    Surely for that amount of cash you could do better than a high mileage Hyundai? A 1.25 fiesta comes to mind?

80000 miles in 10 years isn't too bad. Nasty yoke to drive but well enough equipped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,627 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Surely for that amount of cash you could do better than a high mileage Hyundai?

+1

at 700 it would have been a bargain for someone, but I can't see it sell at all for 1500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I thought it was 133 thousand miles not kms...
    I have to say even with the mileage not being as high as I thought, its not one id be going for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

I wouldn't really know much about these as I do with the petrol version but I thought that it was worth a place in this thread for anybody looking for a small diesel. One major thing the seller left out though was the mileage.:rolleyes:

Full?id=7427533

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2408235

Those Multijet diesels are supposed to be a great little engine.

• Advertisement

That'd be a 1.9 not a 1.3 though

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2408235
    Also they're only 80hp which isn't huge for a 1.9

Nice spec on the HLX though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement