Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

LS400's are always dirt cheap for some reason, even by luxobarge standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,627 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It says that the NCT is gone, and at the same time it's just passed.

It's a bit odd that. The ad is only 4 days old, so it's not that he wasn't getting interest for a while and then decided to have it tested and it passed. With even an NCT as long as the tax, it truly is a bargain though no matter what way you look at it!

And don't worry about insurance. Once you're over 60 with 43 years of NCB all cars are cheap to insure :D

I can't understand how it's that cheap, I wonder is it PSV tax on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Not mine, i have seen it around a few times though.

€750 not bad.

Full?id=7636279

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,417 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That has to be limo tax on the Lexus.

• Advertisement

Not mine, i have seen it around a few times though.

€750 not bad.

Full?id=7636279
    mullingar wrote: »
    Full?id=7535108

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2433894

€950. With a new NCT, 6 months tax (worth €800):D, new tyres, recent service; BARGAIN,

eeney meeney miney mo..... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

The corolla would def be the preferred option, decent money, plus a bit easier to sell on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,627 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The corolla would def be the preferred option

Some people beg to differ, isn't that right, RJ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

unkel wrote: »
    Big may be beautiful but I have a funny feeling that running costs for the corolla may not be as significant, especially come to Motor Tax renewal time;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Just thought I'd throw this in here as it's got tax, nct and coming up for sale soon

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73963175#post73963175

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »

Indeed :pac:
    If the Lexus was taxed privately for the 6 months the resale wouldn't bother me, at the price it's not a huge issue anyway. I have driven some right ole rough yokes in recent years so I'd see the Corolla as quite respectable motoring. There is no comparison at all though at the asking prices :)

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Just thought I'd throw this in here as it's got tax, nct and coming up for sale soon

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73963175#post73963175

Good idea, sure the seller is one of our own :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

€800 Bargain!

Clicky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

€800 Bargain!

Clicky

if it was 500 or less id almost buy it to kill it round a field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Why do people call them robin reliants?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

€800 Bargain!

Clicky

if it was 500 or less id almost buy it to kill it round a field

colm_mcm wrote: »

Rolls off the tongue easier I'd say, Robin Redbreast sort of kind of a thing maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

'plastic pig' is a million times catchier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

colm_mcm wrote: »

Because they're idiots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Confab wrote: »
    The TDS is a crap engine too.

Bollox I had one of them at 193,000 and still as sweet as a nut..

• Advertisement

bryaner wrote: »

Ah sure don't you know that the lad who reckons they're "crap" is a renowned expert on deiciding if an engine is actually an undisclosed amount of excrement in disguise... simply pretending to be an engine.

There's over 240,000 on one i had, sold it 4 years ago at approximately 188,000 and saw it back in june parked at a hotel and had a chat with the owner, it's spent the last 4 years towing a boat and a cow box for the same guy. But of course that couldn't possibly happened. Had another that i sold at just under 150,000 and i've heard that's still about also. Good treatment and proper servicing is all they need.

I should add that the 150k one was chipped also, the amount of eejits i've heard and read saying they can't "take" that is ridiculous. It's just plain ignorance.
    I've also had 318tds, and while they're slow (they have a 1665cc diesel and from the mid 90s so it's hardly going to be fast), once looked after they're good for big miles. The last one i had went past 200,000 while i had it, serious amount of fools used to say "oh they're soft engines boy" etc and other crap like that. A friend of mine still has one, that's on about 160,00 and still running like clockwork. They were misunderstood engines, used by ignorant irish motorists who treated them like old VW diesels that you can treat like crap, never service, thrash the life out of end expect to stay working because they're a crude, ancient lump of metal. They're great for what they are too but the 2.5 tds engine was leagues ahead of them when it came out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

bryaner wrote: »

Sorry, I meant from the perspective of fuel consumption. They're not nearly as efficient as the 'd' engines.

Sorry, I meant from the perspective of fuel consumption. They're not nearly as efficient as the 'd' engines.

sure you did :P

It would be very difficult to find a pair of turbodiesel engines with a similar age gap from any manufatcurer and say that the one made in the mid 90s was more efficient than the newer version with all it's extra electronics and emissions crap on it, but there's elss to go wrong on the old. Unless you've owned one of the cars in question and actually worked out real world mpg when driving efficiently though don't go on about their efficiency or fuel economy.
    If you're posting based on hearsay then forget about it.

You can get early 40s mpg in a E34 525tds manual (If you're careful) which is excellent for a huge, heavy 90s car. and they're supposed to be worse than the e39 525 diesel, which is pretty much the same engine. If you're booting it everywhere, constantly driving on full boost that's going to go down from lugging all that weight around.

But anyway, here's a nice big old comfy diesel cruiser

Merc E250D auto, nct 03/13 €1400. THe choice of wheels on it leaves something to be desired but that's easily sorted.
    The bes part is that it'll just keep going and going once you look after it

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2433816

_Conrad_ wrote: »

Merc E250D auto, nct 03/13 €1400. THe choice of wheels on it leaves something to be desired but that's easily sorted.

Unbelievably comfy in fairness to them, as slow as they are they're a :cool: bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

_Conrad_ wrote: »

It never ceases to amaze me how many people go to the bother of blurring the reg out of the pics of the car but forgetting to blurr it from the NCT disc :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

My Bangernomics just hit this (couldn't believe I missed it I was too excited after my beginners luck in Roulette :P

315598_10150768562505176_805400175_20555915_7654681_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Sweet! Hows it driving Limerickman? Any major maintenance work on the horizon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Sweet! Hows it driving Limerickman? Any major maintenance work on the horizon?

Timing belt at 260k. It's driving like a new Golf, bar there's a little flat spot at 3k in third gear but once it gets to around 3.2k it lets rip again. I could probably service it again, other than that, nothing :)

Edit: Sorry, test is due in November, that'll tell all :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement