Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

nice find, the tax is worth €240 alone. so €660 for the rest of the car :)
    no petrol in it though :(
    stick a nice set of wheels on it and you got one cool ass pimpmobile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

[QUOTE=colm_mcm;73982049
    no petrol in it though :([/QUOTE]
    That's where your luck penny goes ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'd snap the hand off him if it was a 2.0, couldn't justify the extra tax..

I'd snap the hand off him if it was a 2.0, couldn't justify the extra tax..

Can't be that much more is it?

For peace of mind and paying a little extra for a good one I think it's worth it

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Can't be that much more is it?

For peace of mind and paying a little extra for a good one I think it's worth it

No it's kinda like wanting to spend 3,500 on a car, then seeing a nice one for 4,000 which is over budget and then seeing an even nicer one for 4,500...

2.0 would be my 4 grand car and the 2.3 would be the 4,500, if that makes ANY sense :L

• Advertisement

No it's kinda like wanting to spend 3,500 on a car, then seeing a nice one for 4,000 which is over budget and then seeing an even nicer one for 4,500...
    I see you go car shopping using the same method as me :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,626 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

2.0 would be my 4 grand car and the 2.3 would be the 4,500, if that makes ANY sense :L

Nope, makes no sense!

Seriously a 2.3 costs about €4 per week more to tax. And you get the extra poke all day and every day (even though in this case it's still only a 4 pot, which isn't good)

Would you get classic insurance on the Mercedes?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Would you get classic insurance on the Mercedes?

Typically you can get classic insurance on any 20 year old car. Have a look at the link in the charter of the classic car forum for more details. YMMV etc. :)

Are those 2.3s any way nippy at all?

• Advertisement

LOL - a 20 year old big heavy saloon with a 4 pot engine? Nippy it ain't :)

Looked it up for ya. 132BHP and 0-100km/h in 11s

Nippier and more powerful than about 90% of brand new cars sold today I suppose :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,384 ✭✭✭✭Esel

_Conrad_ wrote: »
    Merc E250D auto, nct 03/13 €1400. The choice of wheels on it leaves something to be desired but that's easily sorted.
    The best part is that it'll just keep going and going once you look after it

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2433816
    Low profile tyres on a 250D? Why, just why? Looks totally naff, imo.
    RoverJames wrote: »
    Unbelievably comfy in fairness to them, as slow as they are they're a :cool: bus.
    Not with those tyres, though....

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »

You'd be surprised I'd say, the suspension on them provides a magic carpet ride, the low profiles won't enhance it but they won't ruin it either.

unkel wrote: »
    Nope, makes no sense!

Seriously a 2.3 costs about €4 per week more to tax. And you get the extra poke all day and every day (even though in this case it's still only a 4 pot, which isn't good)

Don't think you understand, I would already be over budgeting at the 2.0 tax bracket, a 2.3 would kick me over the edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Looks about as rough as a bear's arse but she has a long NCT and will be very cheap to tax.

Full?id=7674751
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2466575

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Looks about as rough as a bear's arse but she has a long NCT and will be very cheap to tax.

Full?id=7674751
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2466575
    I clicked into that advert fully waiting to read that it was as rough as a bear's arse:) reminded of the Vento Advert 'tight as a fish's hole'..lol

Had two of these little dymanos in my time. Absolute bean tin lacking in style, substance or carisma, but man did I love them. great engine, solid gearbox and brakes were deadly too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

Esel wrote: »
    Low profile tyres on a 250D? Why, just why? Looks totally naff, imo.

I can see past a set of wheels that are currently on a car, unlike some it seems.

Like i said, wheels problem easily fixed, i would have no fear of the "low profile" tyres either. I have approximately 7 sets of wheels in various styles and sizes in the shed with a suitable stud pattern for that car, and a set of not so tacky wheels either steels or original mercedes stuff won't be very expensive if you're not like me and don't have a shed full of various wheels gathered over the years.

As for the wheel size and the tyres

RoverJames wrote: »
    You'd be surprised I'd say, the suspension on them provides a magic carpet ride, the low profiles won't enhance it but they won't ruin it either.

You don't exactly feel connected to the road in those, you know you're on it but you also know there's a lot of soft comfy suspension and squishy seats in between

I can see past a set of wheels that are currently on a car, unlike some it seems.

Like i said, wheels problem easily fixed, i would have no fear of the "low profile" tyres either. I have approximately 7 sets of wheels in various styles and sizes in the shed with a suitable stud pattern for that car, and a set of not so tacky wheels either steels or original mercedes stuff won't be very expensive if you're not like me and don't have a shed full of various wheels gathered over the years.

As for the wheel size and the tyres

If you have a stack of spare wheels, surely it makes it easy to see past a set of horrible or wrong or too big wheels on a car :)

This is bangernomics though and nobody will / should consider buying a new set of wheels and tyres to go with their purchase of a bangernomics car :)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    If you have a stack of spare wheels, surely it makes it easy to see past a set of horrible or wrong or too big wheels on a car :)

This is bangernomics though and nobody will / should consider buying a new set of wheels and tyres to go with their purchase of a bangernomics car :)

Anyone running cheap old cars who doesn't have at least a few bits put by for their chosen favourite bangers is very foolish. It takes the good out of it if you pay a grand or 2 for a car then get 3 weeks use out of it because you can't fix it if it gos wrong or something wears out.

And yes i do have several stacks of wheels actually, for various cars mainly mercs, bmws, omegas and fords, but some to suit most things apart from fiats. And i keep a few spares around too.
    If i didn't have the wheels though, i'd either live with the wheels that were on the car or find some way to replace them at zero feck all monetary cost. I said nothing about new, and there's also the option of swapping something be it an item or a service.
    I wouldnt let the wheels put me off buying a good car.

If you get a car that you know you can keep going and then don't wreck it, because that's wasteful then you can get back some or all of the money you put into it when getting rid of it. You dont have to put a lot in, but putting in a little bit can stop you losing a whole lot by getting nothing back

Anyone running cheap old cars who doesn't have at least a few bits put by for their chosen favourite bangers is very foolish. It takes the good out of it if you pay a grand or 2 for a car then get 3 weeks use out of it because you can't fix it if it gos wrong or something wears out.

And yes i do have several stacks of wheels actually, for various cars mainly mercs, bmws, omegas and fords, but some to suit most things apart from fiats. And i keep a few spares around too.
    If i didn't have the wheels though, i'd either live with the wheels that were on the car or find some way to replace them at zero feck all monetary cost. I said nothing about new, and there's also the option of swapping something be it an item or a service.
    I wouldnt let the wheels put me off buying a good car.

If you get a car that you know you can keep going and then don't wreck it, because that's wasteful then you can get back some or all of the money you put into it when getting rid of it. You dont have to put a lot in, but putting in a little bit can stop you losing a whole lot by getting nothing back

LOL, your post proves there's many different angles and levels of bangernomics! In my small semi-d house in Dublin I could barely store one set of spare wheels, never mind dozens of them :)

And about the levels of bangernomics - I used to own and run 8-12 year old cars that cost well over €100,000 when new and I would keep them well sorted. But at this moment I'm running a 10 year old saloon car on a shoestring. Even belt gambling now as some recent parking damage leaves the car pretty much worthless (though it is safe with new tyres and a '13 NCT I haste to add!)

Who owns the Porsche in your Avatar? What's your daily? (Sorry if you've already posted it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2468337

No Tax, plenty of test.

I guess the fact that a years tax will cost as much as you will buy it for takes from its overall value..

But still.. if its straight ya'd prob still get a few quid for it in 12 months.

W123-80's wrote: »

No Tax, plenty of test.

I guess the fact that a years tax will cost as much as you will buy it for takes from its overall value..

I got awful excited there for some reason I thought you would of posted a w123 :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

I got awful excited there for some reason I thought you would of posted a w123 :P

Ha! If I found a diesel 123 in that sort of nick for that sort of money... I wouldn't be posting about it until it was safely in my driveway..:pac:

Ha! If I found a diesel 123 in that sort of nick for that sort of money... I wouldn't be posting about it until it was safely in my driveway..:pac:

I would do the exact same, no hard feelings :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭alias no.9

No Tax, plenty of test.

5l/100km or 56MPG in old money :eek:, what else is he telling porkies about. I drove one of these for two years and about 40k miles and 43 to 46 MPG is what it'll do, depending on how you drive it.

10k miles since the last oil service on an IDI diesel, the oil must be rank.

That said, they're a pretty dependable old dog even if the chassis was capable of much better things than sporting that styling and running that engine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Now that's Bangernomics.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement