Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

shawnee wrote: »
    Passat Comfortline 97 , a lot of car for the money , hardly run in. Bye bye number plate snobbery , hello cheap motor :D:p

Indeed. The only thing wrong with the ad is that they can't spell Volkswagen. They have it with "on" at the end. It's just a little thing that irritates me, when people can't spell the name of their own car, or a part of their car. So many times i have seen things such as "recardo seats" instead of Recaro seats and "TINE Coilovers" instead ot TEIN.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

_Conrad_ wrote: »
    Indeed. The only thing wrong with the ad is that they can't spell Volkswagen. They have it with "on" at the end. It's just a little thing that irritates me, when people can't spell the name of their own car, or a part of their car. So many times i have seen things such as "recardo seats" instead of Recaro seats and "TINE Coilovers" instead ot TEIN.

big deal.......:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

jimmynokia wrote: »
    19 inch alpina! what do you want bus wheels LOL:D

They are 18" Style 32, not Alpinas. Actually, they are manufactured by BBS. Also, painting them black really makes them look bad.

Black wheels, limo tint in all windows. That 728i is definatly a contender for the skanger thread :)

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

MidlandsM wrote: »

The only problem is that the typo might not help their search results, but yeah - otherwise, big deal - not the place for petty pedantry.

It's not unreasonable to expect that somebody should know the correct spelling of the make and model of their car. It's written on the bloody thing after all.

It raises the question in my mind : "are they so thick that they don't even know the real name of their own car?" in which case you'd have to wonder what else they didn't know about it.

• Advertisement

It's not unreasonable to expect that somebody should know the correct spelling of the make and model of their car. It's written on the bloody thing after all.

It raises the question in my mind : "are they so thick that they don't even know the real name of their own car?" in which case you'd have to wonder what else they didn't know about it.

who cares........it's all about whats on offer, not how thick or dyslexic the vendor is?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

This could be worth a punt....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2479315

/\ - Conrad would'nt buy from her - she's got bad spelling.........

LONG NCT 03/2013,TAX 09/2011

GOOD TIRES,ELECTRIC WINDOWS,

ENGINE VERY GOOD CONDITION

LADY OWNER

I AM SELLING THIS CAR BECAUSE I BOOTH NEW CAR,

I AM IN CAHIR CO.TIPPERARY

NO TXT OR TIMEWASTER

THIS CAR IS CHEAPER YOU FIND IN INTERNET WITH NCT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The bonnet being the wrong colour may put him off too

I'd be quite interested in the heavily pixilated car in the background all the same.....lol

• Advertisement

166man wrote: »
    This could be worth a punt....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2479315

Heavy car with a thirsty and gutless petrol engine. Certainly not for me, so it's ruled out on other grounds than spelling.

In this case though given the type of mistakes and the incorrect structure ("is cheaper you find in internet") it's quite likely that they're not Irish, so it's understandable that they'd make mistakes writing in english.

I'd like to argue with MidlandsM for an extended period about why the inability to spell volkswagen would put me off a car as MidlandsM is a prime example of the type i do so love to wind up :)
    I won't bother though, partly because our totally level headed and unbiased mod Eoin has already chosen sides and partly because i don't believe the capacity is there to properly understand the entirity of my point.

There are other negative points about the ad however; they've blurred out another car, which makes it look decidedly dodgy and there are only two, badly taken pictures with none of the interior which is probably a disgusting mess.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The bonnet being the wrong colour may put him off too

This came in before i had managed to post, due to my ridiculously bad computer. No, that doesn't bother me in the slightest way.

The badly repaired rear arch does though, as that's just lazy and sloppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Heavy car with a thirsty and gutless petrol engine. Certainly not for me, so it's ruled out on other grounds than spelling.

In this case though given the type of mistakes and the incorrect structure ("is cheaper you find in internet") it's quite likely that they're not Irish, so it's understandable that they'd make mistakes writing in english.

I'd like to argue with MidlandsM for an extended period about why the inability to spell volkswagen would put me off a car as MidlandsM is a prime example of the type i do so love to wind up :)
    I won't bother though, partly because our totally level headed and unbiased mod Eoin has already chosen sides and partly because i don't believe the capacity is there to properly understand the entirity of my point.

There are other negative points about the ad however; they've blurred out another car, which makes it look decidedly dodgy and there are only two, badly taken pictures with none of the interior which is probably a disgusting mess.

I see I missed the difference in bonnet colour but I wouldn't argue with 500 quid and a NCT until 2013...Has a few months tax too. @Conrad maybe the person selling the car is not from Ireland and does not have perfect English..does that mean the car is automatically dodgy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

166man wrote: »
    I see I missed the difference in bonnet color but I wouldn't argue with 500 quid and a NCT until 2013...Has a few months tax too. @Conrad maybe the person selling the car is not from Ireland and does not have perfect English..does that mean the car is automatically dodgy?
    In fairness, that is just rubbish. If you read his post he explains why, and it is pretty obvious that the whole ad (and car) is a bit sh1t.
    The car has damage, different color panels and they didn't even wash it. FFS. :rolleyes:

cadaliac wrote: »
    In fairness, that is just rubbish. If you read his post he explains why, and it is pretty obvious that the whole ad (and car) is a bit sh1t.
    The car has damage, different color panels and they didn't even wash it. FFS. :rolleyes:

Indeed, I did say in my post that in the ad for the audi the spelling and unusual sentence structure indicate it is not a native english speaker who wrote it, and I said in that case the mistakes are understandable, which is different to being too thick and ignorant to spell Volkswagen correctly. That makes me think that the person is probably either an idiot or doesn't know the car at all so is maybe a dodgy small time trader or similar. It is not hard to know the spelling of your car's name as it is written on the back of it and on the reg cert!

Anyway, after all that BS from 166man, MidlandsM and Colm_mcm ( surely in the running for one of the most annoying stirrers)

Here's a cheap, tough 4x4 with test
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2477529

A cheap tidy BMW in a respectable understated colour with tax and test. Nice solid cars to drive and not too bad on fuel considering what they are. Good and reliabel once looked after too.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2185362

and a great cheap to run little runaround, starlet with test to 2013. Very reliable little cars and cheap to run, tax and insure.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2479810

toys out of the pram conrad? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Anyway, after all that BS from 166man, MidlandsM and Colm_mcm ( surely in the running for one of the most annoying stirrers)

Conrad, and everyone else, take a deep breath before posting here again. It's getting too personal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Thinking back to the Audi.... it's €590!! That's barely a set of tyres and a tank of fuel..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Off topic posts deleted. Move on.

back on topic that way it should be......

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2478648

for a k with a haggle i'd say,tiny bita tax,test,fresh belt,I like the colour,drive her on!

• Advertisement

ah now chris... not a fan of a little laughter then? ... just bringing some lighthearted-ness back..... It was fitting to the situation.

Here's a bit of affordable luxury... until you have to tax them... but still.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2355809

and a v8

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2438564

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,625 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

si_guru wrote: »
    Thinking back to the Audi.... it's €590!! That's barely a set of tyres and a tank of fuel..

+1

In fairness if I were to spend not much more than €400 on a car with 2 years NCT, I wouldn't quite expect it to be polished and valeted :)

The car might be rough and unclean. The 8V engine might be a bit lame for such a heavy car but it would be adequate for the vast majority of owners looking for a cheap banger. The engine is very reliable. The car is also cheap on tax and insurance

A true bangernomics car in my book!

for a k with a haggle i'd say,tiny bita tax,test,fresh belt,I like the colour,drive her on!

Dynamic blue... like it.

that is actually good. Unlike the audi which is just a heap of crap that looks messy and will get you harrassed at every garda checkpoint etc. I should know i've often driven them that bad, and worse looking...but i don't go paying out lots of money for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

That's an appalling engine.
    582€ tax for a car that does 0-60 in 18 seconds and can't even hit 100mph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

RichyX wrote: »
    If you want to go 100mph, why would you buy a 10 year old Skoda Fabia diesel?? It looks good for what it is, I'd go for it. Plenty of Alfa's out there for less that can piss up to 100mph and more if you're so inclined!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

It's worth nothing to anybody.

Are we taxed on 0-100 these days?

That SDi will go on forever at 50-60mpg and for some people that is grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

squod wrote: »
    It's worth nothing to anybody.
    I wouldnt agree.

There is a large market for cheap reliable diesels these days, that car will sell for close to asking imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Here's a cheap, tough 4x4 with test
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2477529

Cheap for the money alright, but be aware, that they did have rust issues, so it's worth checking the bodywork thoroughly.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement