Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Has to be worth a look with 2 years nct on it.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2490088

edit: 5 minutes after i posted this, the ad is gone. Must have been a p*sstake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

My uncle had a uk one of these
    White with alloys and a spoiler, pillarless glass on the sides, opening rear windows. It was an awesome car to be in in the 80s

Then it rusted away and he sold the car for the reg number

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

unkel wrote: »
    Nice, but on conventional suspension I think?

I think you are right only the more expensive models had the Hydractive suspension.

Even still if I could I would try and buy for €650, put a years tax on it for €445 and then get rid in 10-11 months time with 9 months NCT and a few months tax. With such low mileage and a full service history you would probably get back what you paid for it...

That's what I call cheap (bangernomics) motoring!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

colm_mcm wrote: »
    My uncle had a uk one of these - CAT234X
    White with alloys and a spoiler, pillarless glass on the sides, opening rear windows. It was an awesome car to be in in the 80s

Then it rusted away and he sold the car for the reg number

Lasted till 1993 by the looks of it:
    The enquiry is complete
    The vehicle details for CAT 234X are:

Date of Liability 01 10 1993
    Date of First Registration 03 06 1982
    Year of Manufacture 1982
    Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1770CC
    CO2 Emissions Not Available
    Fuel Type Petrol
    Export Marker Not Applicable
    Vehicle Status Unlicensed
    Vehicle Colour WHITE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

langdang wrote: »
    Saw a bluebird coupe in Dooradoyle yesterday!

If it's a kinda sky blue I may have seen it around before.
    VolvoMan wrote: »
    Lasted till 1993 by the looks of it:

Where did you get that information? Looks like handy website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

166man wrote: »
    I think you are right only the more expensive models had the Hydractive suspension.

From Wiki... more compex than I thought.. 3 suspension types.

From an engineering perspective, the Xantia's biggest advance was the suspension. From launch, the more expensive models were available with an enhanced version of the XM's Hydractive, Hydractive II or H2, computer-controlled version of the hydropneumatic self-leveling suspension. This used extra suspension spheres to allow a soft ride in normal conditions, but taut body control during hard braking, acceleration or cornering. These models feature an innovation first seen on the CX and then subsequently fitted to the facelifted XM - a programmed self-steer rear axle. On sweeping curves and tight bends alike, the rear wheels turn in line with the front wheels, sharpening responses and adding to driver pleasure.
    In 1994, the Activa technology was introduced, which is an extension to the Hydractive II suspension, where two additional spheres and two hydraulic cylinders are used together with computer control to eliminate body roll completely. This technology is more broadly known as active suspension, and the Xantia Activa has exceptional road holding comparable to true sports cars. In the Swedish magazine Teknikens Värld's moose test the 1999 model of Xantia V6 Activa still holds the record speed trough the maneuver.
    UK Models of the Activa came fitted with a XU10 2 litre turbocharged engine also fitted to the Citroën XM 2.0CT and Peugeot 605 SRi. It produced 150 bhp and 171 lb ft of torque and was a 'low-blow' type for smooth power delivery rather than outright bhp. When modified Its performance can be improved to get close to the output of V6 models for very little outlay whilst retaining the smoothness and excellent torque characteristics.
    The Xantia was the last Citroën to use a common hydraulic circuit for suspension, brakes and steering like the pioneering Citroën DS. It was also the last Citroën car that used the green LHM hydraulic fluid. Later cars, such as the C5, used LDS instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2438286

Full?id=7553825

I know it's got high mileage and a petrol but I would love it for 950e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Hiace.

^ why oh why did he ruin it by getting rid of the original design alloys, and putting on those pimp / skanger yokes.

Full?id=7553826

Paint on the boot looks a bit matty... Probably fine though, pity about the colour/wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭pcardin

That A8 just keeps coming back for sale again and again. Must have a secret inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

pcardin wrote: »
    That A8 just keeps coming back for sale again and again. Must have a secret dead body inside.

there we go

Full?id=7553826

Paint on the boot looks a bit matty... Probably fine though, pity about the colour/wheels.

I actually really like that colour, it's an odd colour for such a large car but I think it works really well. It looks great on other cars too especially the W220 Merc S-Class...

just sayin..:D

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2491658

Hassle free motoring for a year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Off topic, has anyone noticed that there's feck all difference in fuel consumption between a 2L and 3L petrol car (5mpg or so)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

If it's a kinda sky blue I may have seen it around before.

Where did you get that information? Looks like handy website

http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/

We used to have something similar with mywheels, but then they made up some sh1t about the Data Protection Act so they could charge for it.

Confab wrote: »
    Off topic, has anyone noticed that there's feck all difference in fuel consumption between a 2L and 3L petrol car (5mpg or so)?

Seems that way, I used to have a 2.0 E200 and I'd get around 30 and the sisters Bf had a 3.2 of the same and he got pretty much the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,625 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Lol, that's always been the way :)

Around Dublin a large saloon with a small engine might get 25-30MPG, an even larger saloon with a massive V8 engine will still do 20MPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

In my experience once you go over 2.5 there is very little difference in fuel consumption up as far as an 8-pot. You go above that, e.g. 5L V12 and there's quite the noticeable difference in consumption. I.e. it's not much more expensive to put fuel in a 2.5 I6 than in a 4.4 V8. Once you get to the 3L stage you may as well go as high as you can in an 8-pot as the difference in fuel will make little difference and tax will be the same.

On my current sort of driving which I was also doing a few years back...
    1997 Rover 420 turbo diesel, not intercooled though 42/43mpg
    1993 BMW 520i tourer, manual 23mpg
    2002 MG ZT auto, 20mpg
    1997 Rover 216 Coupe, 26mpg

On mainly Cork to Galway and Galway to Cork spins with some short spins while in either Cork or Galway...
    1997 Rover 216 Coupe, 32mpg
    1997 Rover 420 turbo diesel, not intercooled though, 45mpg
    1993 Prelude 2.2 non VTEC auto, 27mpg
    1992 Merc 250 diesel manual, 36mpg

Don't really know if that's any use to you, although on similar driving it is apparent the variation in the petrol mpg figures does correlate to engine size up or down but not my a huge amount.

Main thing that strikes me is the Rover L series is a decently frugal ole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

It's a long time since I drove a car under 2L and they've gotta be miles more frugal 'around town' but on a motorway journey you're gonna spend half your day trying to keep the thing up to speed. I can get to Galway and back in a 3.5 V8 in style and comfort for €60, i.e. half an 85L tank. You don't notice the journey at all in the car and once you get her up to 80 lash on the cruise control and all you gotta do is steer. A 1.6 must be screwing itself at that speed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Not one for doing the maths ( I measure my fuel consumption in euro rather than mpg :D ) but I replaced the missus car this week which was a 1.4 with a 2.0 litre Saab 9-5 turbo. Now 90% of her commute to work is motorway with about 3kms of the total journey being link road on to it. Here's the thing, 50 quid used to get swallowed per week in the old 1.4 car and yet after putting 50 quid into the Saab on Sunday night the light still aint on as of an hour ago. In effect its doing roughly the same on fuel on the M-way as the smaller car.

Clearly the bigger engined car as far better suited to stretching its legs. If you were stuck in town all day then sure, a 1 litre tiddler is far better suited to that environment but the opposite is also true, small engined cars dont return good fuel economy when pushed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Not one for doing the maths ( I measure my fuel consumption in euro rather than mpg :D ) but I replaced the missus car this week which was a 1.4 with a 2.0 litre Saab 9-5 turbo. Now 90% of her commute to work is motorway with about 3kms of the total journey being link road on to it. Here's the thing, 50 quid used to get swallowed per week in the old 1.4 car and yet after putting 50 quid into the Saab on Sunday night the light still aint on as of an hour ago. In effect its doing roughly the same on fuel on the M-way as the smaller car.

Clearly the bigger engined car as far better suited to stretching its legs. If you were stuck in town all day then sure, a 1 litre tiddler is far better suited to that environment but the opposite is also true, small engined cars dont return good fuel economy when pushed on.

You don't mind if i quote this post to the missus when I've landed home with a min 2l bangernomics machine when I should be spending the money on getting the garden fence fixed?? It will help to clear up any misunderstanding she may have..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

You don't mind if i quote this post to the missus when I've landed home with a min 2l bangernomics machine when I should be spending the money on getting the garden fence fixed?? It will help to clear up any misunderstanding she may have..

Sure while you're at it just edit the 2 litre bit to a 3 and come home in a mighty smoker altogether :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

unkel wrote: »
    Lol, that's always been the way :)

Around Dublin a large saloon with a small engine might get 25-30MPG, an even larger saloon with a massive V8 engine will still do 20MPG

i had BMW's 4.4 V8 lump in my old X5 and my "around Dublin" commute yielded 16.9MPG over the year i owned it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Hiace.

01 Audi A8 2.8 Quattro, 97k, FSH, NCT 3-13, Cream leather, €2,350, Wexford.

Full?id=7566883

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2441528

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,417 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

kceire wrote: »
    i had BMW's 4.4 V8 lump in my old X5 and my "around Dublin" commute yielded 16.9MPG over the year i owned it :(

Thats exactly the same as I got with a 2.0 alfa 166 on a daily commute from lucan to city centre! You cannot judge mpg when dealing with city traffic

mickdw wrote: »
    Thats exactly the same as I got with a 2.0 alfa 166 on a daily commute from lucan to city centre! You cannot judge mpg when dealing with city traffic

Our Alfa 166 2.0, got about 27 around town and 35 on the motorway, how did you get 17 mpg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,417 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Our Alfa 166 2.0, got about 27 around town and 35 on the motorway, how did you get 17 mpg?

Morning and evening commute. alot of queuing. Mine did 29.1 average on a motorway run. It was a 5 speed though and 5 gear was poor for motorway cruising, too many revs at the legal limit.

Edit: Near the end of its time with me, I ran it for a week or so with the Maf unplugged as it was ****ed. It did alittle over 15 mpg on a run like this!

around town is fairly non specific in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,625 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kceire wrote: »

That's not a large saloon with an even larger engine. That's a large saloon with an even larger engine pumped up to create max wind resistance, and with ridiculously large wheels, just because it was in fashion at the time :D

But seriously, you did quite well, only using up about 15% more than a regular 5-series with your engine would have done

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement