Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

will keep an eye on that. must label everything under the hood for her now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Little bit of tax and a good test. Something different and it wont cost and arm and a leg to run.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2497319

View2-7804759.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,417 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

166man wrote: »
    MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Pity it's not a quattro!

Its a golf gti according to motorcheck & motortax.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

mickdw wrote: »

Quite odd O.o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Hiace.

mickdw wrote: »

Unreal, its down as a golf all right. You couldn't be careful enough these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

unkel wrote: »
    Nope that's what I'm saying, no hydro pneumatic at all. There's not that much else going for it without the spheres :D

My best mate's dad bought one new activa when they just came out and the ride was amazing!

I am certain all Xantias have hydropneumatic suspension. The ones without Hydractive or Activa use a simpler 4 sphere system with less or no computer control (I forget exactly). They were the last Citroen to use the same hydraulic system for the power steering and braking, which is why the brake pedal is so strangely sensitive compared to other cars (the handbrake is on the front wheels too!).

A picture of the centre console or under the bonnet would have helped :)

Even the bogger Xantias like this rode pretty well, and it's easy enough to maintain the suspension yourself.

The version without hydropneumatic suspension is called the Peugeot 406 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

_Conrad_ wrote: »
    Indeed, I did say in my post that in the ad for the audi the spelling and unusual sentence structure indicate it is not a native english speaker who wrote it, and I said in that case the mistakes are understandable, which is different to being too thick and ignorant to spell Volkswagen correctly. That makes me think that the person is probably either an idiot or doesn't know the car at all so is maybe a dodgy small time trader or similar. It is not hard to know the spelling of your car's name as it is written on the back of it and on the reg cert!

Anyway, after all that BS from 166man, MidlandsM and Colm_mcm ( surely in the running for one of the most annoying stirrers)

Here's a cheap, tough 4x4 with test
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2477529

A cheap tidy BMW in a respectable understated colour with tax and test. Nice solid cars to drive and not too bad on fuel considering what they are. Good and reliabel once looked after too.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2185362

and a great cheap to run little runaround, starlet with test to 2013. Very reliable little cars and cheap to run, tax and insure.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2479810
    why,because small time traders cant spell.pmsl.whilst both your jeep and starlet look over priced to me,not sure about the beemer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Thought this was worthy enough to be in this thread since it is has an auto box and the superior 16v engine. It's priced at 1100 but I reckon you could get the seller down to 950 at least. Would be a cracking car for anybody who needs a nippy run-around and doesn't like clutches :)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2498711

Full?id=7810431

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don't think those speedgear boxes have a great rep, but they're supposed to be decent for a cvt. I think nissan had a similar 7 speed box on the primera way back.

Funny spec, looks like an elx, thought they were only available in sporting and hlx spec over here, but the reg seems to be not an import

• Advertisement

Cartell says its an elx selecta, which sounds like the box from the old punto. I'd be surprised if its a 16v in that case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

From wiki.... "The 1.2 16V model also has a Speedgear CVT-equipped variant (with a sequential manual shift mode consisting of 6 gears, 7 for the Sporting model)."

Still a good bangernomics either way with low tax and insurance!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Cartell says its an elx selecta, which sounds like the box from the old punto. I'd be surprised if its a 16v in that case

A quick google of 1.2 elx selecta says it's a possibility.

I don't think those speedgear boxes have a great rep, but they're supposed to be decent for a cvt. I think nissan had a similar 7 speed box on the primera way back.

Funny spec, looks like an elx, thought they were only available in sporting and hlx spec over here, but the reg seems to be not an import

Nope, my mam had one for years and it was an elx, it actually took the dealer a while to find one as it was what she had her heart set on. As far as I know the mk2 ELX only had spot lights (which were built into the main lamp, silly) as an extra unlike the mk1 which was the equivalent to the HLX.

I never got the chance to drive it but I do recall it as being a sound car mechanically and as my aul fella still goes on about how good it was :P, electrically meh, don't all cars have the moments though ?

One thing I don't recall is the 7 speed box as in quick gear changes but i suppose if you haven't driving it your not bound to cop it. But anyway the gearbox never gave any bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Little bit of tax and a good test. Something different and it wont cost and arm and a leg to run.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2497319

I'm sort of half looking out for one of these at the moment. I'll only settle for a '99/00 1.4 T Spark in Sportivo trim though and they seem really hard to find these days. The only one for sale at the moment is a bit overpriced and from a dealer that I wouldn't trust.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I'm sort of half looking out for one of these at the moment. I'll only settle for a '99/00 1.4 T Spark in Sportivo trim though and they seem really hard to find these days. The only one for sale at the moment is a bit overpriced and from a dealer that I wouldn't trust.

Friend of mine got one with a years test for 400. (The same family of the guy who had the 2.0). They're great, nippy cars. Look cool to boot.

Edit: The one linked is horrible in comparison to his.

Nope, my mam had one for years and it was an elx, it actually took the dealer a while to find one as it was what she had her heart set on. As far as I know the mk2 ELX only had spot lights (which were built into the main lamp, silly) as an extra unlike the mk1 which was the equivalent to the HLX.

I never got the chance to drive it but I do recall it as being a sound car mechanically and as my aul fella still goes on about how good it was :P, electrically meh, don't all cars have the moments though ?

One thing I don't recall is the 7 speed box as in quick gear changes but i suppose if you haven't driving it your not bound to cop it. But anyway the gearbox never gave any bother.

The specs were roughly thus:

Base:
    Height adjustable seat
    Cd player
    Power steering
    Black bumpers
    Nasty plastic headrests

ELX added
    Colour coded bumpers
    Electric windows
    Cloth headrests x4
    Central locking
    Rev counter
    Front fogs

HLX added
    Remote locking
    Sunroof or aircon
    Alloys
    Electric mirrors

As mentioned, the speedgear was only on the 16v engine and they didn't do an elx 16v in ireland.

Just ran a cartell check of the one my parents used to have (2001) and it came up as elx selecta too. The mk1 didn't have trip-tronic though and was a piece of **** ( they had one of those too) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Friend of mine got one with a years test for 400.

The only one I can find is up for well over a grand, so it just proves that the price is way off.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    The only one I can find is up for well over a grand, so it just proves that the price is way off.

His one is the spit of this, although his one may not be as clean.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2355886

(Guessing that's the one you're talking about)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Saab Ed wrote: »
    One of the bset cars I ever owned. The 280 was just so much smoother than a 240 and much more torquey than a 320. 0-60 wasn't blinding but the 60 to over 100 dash was about the same, it just kept on pulling. Always loved straight 6 mercs. Vs just dont seem to have the same character.
    i didn't own one, but i drove a 240 for a few weeks whilst my pajero was being fixed and it was pretty awesome. was tempted to buy it, but i couldn't justify paying the tax on the both of them and i have a feeling i'll be needing the pajero come wintertime if all the predictions of another harsh winter come true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

http://dublin.gumtree.ie/c-Cars-and-vehicles-for-Sale-cars-mazda-W0QQAdIdZ311147707

A nice mazda 323 for sale very little info though I assume no tax and its a 1.5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Thought this was worthy enough to be in this thread since it is has an auto box and the superior 16v engine. It's priced at 1100 but I reckon you could get the seller down to 950 at least. Would be a cracking car for anybody who needs a nippy run-around and doesn't like clutches :)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2498711

Full?id=7810431

Made an offer of 900 by mail.ill see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

Made an offer of 900 by mail.ill see how it goes.

Good luck :)

Should ask him/her will they throw the dices in for free :pac:

Repolho wrote: »
    'All extras'

Classic spec a.k.a 'no extras'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

'All extras'

Classic spec a.k.a 'no extras'

Have seen this on so many ads lately, "all extras" on an E46 BMW with no leather and a cassette player. :confused:

Serious bangeromics horn for that saab aero.

It's hardly a turbo is it?

• Advertisement

Serious bangeromics horn for that saab aero.

It's hardly a turbo is it?

2.0t 150 brake. Turbo it is ;)

Correction, it is infact an Aero. All 2.3 litres of 240 odd bhp. I think I just got a bit of a softy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement