Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,625 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

...and oil consumption for that matter!

And don't forget they like a coil pack too :D

shaaane wrote: »
    Sounds like my 01 corolla so! Damn 1.4s! :p

My vote for the most pathetic small engine of the past decade would go to the Toyota alright :D

The VAG 1.4 is a close second though. They don't quite fail as spectacularly like that Toyota vvti POS engine, but 1l of oil per month on a low mileage car and one or two coil pack per year isn't a joke anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

haha so the two most pathetic 1.4 engines of the decade come from supposedly the most reliable manufacturers... how ironic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

shaaane wrote: »

There is F**k all bangernomics about that machine or its price IMHO.

He's looking top dollar for something that was a dog the day it left the factory. Usual VW miserable spec coupled with an asmatic oil drinking 70's cast off engine...

Worth more as scrap I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Coil packs? They're plugs and leads...

And a friend of mine drives on 80 mile round trip and he gets 40.8 mpg, that's a Bora with 129,000 on it and it's not burning a drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,015 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Coil packs? They're plugs and leads...

Whats at the other end of the lead? ;)

Quazzie wrote: »
    Whats at the other end of the lead? ;)

I've never heard of a coil pack going in a Mk4 Golf.

They may have coils on each cylinder but not coilpacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭patrickc

my 1996 bangereconomics mondeo that I deliberated on getting the t belt done went in for NCT this morning. it failed on a worn wishbone, and the rear centre seatbelt jammed. can live with that. apparently the seatbelt issue is common with them, so hopefully for in or around €100 I'll have another year of the car. :)

That keeps reminding me that mine is due for a test soon, must pull the finger out and sort the ABS and Airbag (both of which I broke myself :o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

patrickc wrote: »
    my 1996 bangereconomics mondeo that I deliberated on getting the t belt done went in for NCT this morning. it failed on a worn wishbone, and the rear centre seatbelt jammed. can live with that. apparently the seatbelt issue is common with them, so hopefully for in or around €100 I'll have another year of the car. :)

Sure there's feck all in that so happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Dancor wrote: »
    Thats a steal if its sound. The mileage is intergalactic but perfect bangernomics if all above board.

If only I hadnt just taxed my own car for 12 months

Max Power1 wrote: »

I stopped that sort of carry on years ago :)
    There's never more than 9 weeks tax left on my disc.

Like yourself I wouldn't let the miles on the 530 put me off.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Thats a steal if its sound. The mileage is intergalactic but perfect bangernomics if all above board.

This is a little off topic but still, why do people tax their cars for 12 months? I think three months at a time is best because afaik if your car has just been taxed for 12 months and you have a crash resulting in the car being written off then you are unable to reclaim any of the tax back for those 12 months...can be expensive..

166man wrote: »
    ............ afaik if your car has just been taxed for 12 months and you have a crash resulting in the car being written off then you are unable to reclaim any of the tax back for those 12 months...can be expensive..

you're wrong ;)

RoverJames wrote: »
    you're wrong ;)

Right so good to clear that up there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

This is a little off topic but still, why do people tax their cars for 12 months? I think three months at a time is best because afaik if your car has just been taxed for 12 months and you have a crash resulting in the car being written off then you are unable to reclaim any of the tax back for those 12 months...can be expensive..

Thats madness..

Plus why pay the extra 'interest' in paying for 3 or 6 month tax. Its more expensive on a per month basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

RoverJames wrote: »
    you're wrong ;)
    Exactly, only if the car is off the road scrapped mind, you can claim back all the tax once there is a min 3 months remaining.

I taxed for 12 months as I had just bought it and didnt anticipate changing for a while.

I just get bored too quickly i guess. Already looking around for the next motor, and I only got the last one in may!

Veloce wrote: »
    Thats madness..

Plus why pay the extra 'interest' in paying for 3 or 6 month tax. Its more expensive on a per month basis.

I know thats why I said afaik...
    Paying tax every three months can be easier for many people who have older cars with large engines but maybe are unable to pay in one go...

I said in the above post that I accepted I was wrong!

I tax my 2.5 on the last week of the month it's overdue, my thinking being that I never have much cash on the windscreen, handy if I want to change the car or if I suffer economic write off (not too hard on a car worth close to sfa) :)
    As they charge extra for me to pay quarterly, I take 3 to 4 weeks extra to give them the money, seems fair to me.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

conzymaher wrote: »

It is more than 10yrs old, just got NCT'd and now has 2yrs NCT on it?
    I thought cars 10+yrs can only get 1yr certs now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Couldve gone early for test before July, retested and retested.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭GoGoGadget

killwill wrote: »

I think the rule came into force around June, so if they got it NCT'd on 01/11 then they would get NCT for 2 years until 01/13.

EDIT: My mistake for not reading the ad properly! Yeah the retest yoke sounds like a good explanation.

killwill wrote: »

Yep spotted that too. The seller is lying. The only way that car could have got an NCT until '13 was if it was tested on or before 31/05/2011 (and not 2 weeks ago as the seller states). If it had failed then, it would have had to be retested and passed the test within 28 days of failing.

Who's he trying to fool? Not us in bangernomics for sure :D

Pity though, nice car for the money...

Edit: the test date was 22/04/2011, it's in the NCT cert :o

A bit longer than 2 weeks ago so...

Seller is a she
    Test till 2013
    Originally tested in april
    Full?id=6713721
    See?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

500 lids. ;)

"TRADE SALE ONLY SOLD AS SEEN" ..... to be read as "Lots of stuff broken so once you buy it then feck off and dont come back complaining" :D Good test though.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2491399

View2-7779718.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭GoGoGadget

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Seller is a she
    Test till 2013
    Originally tested in april
    Full?id=6713721
    See?

car only passed nct on first go 2 wks ago

Someones lying about something!