Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Simple staright forward route to BMWing. If you got it for a monkey its a cheap smoker .

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2525181

View2-7920245.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

What a lot of information the seller provides on the Beemer. Interior even?

The owner says that the clutch pedal is on the floor. I know that its a cable that costs 12 quid to buy and 30 quid to fit ( free if you're handy yourself). Taxed and tested with room to haggle. You could be driving this totally legal for 250-300 quid if not less. Now thats Bangernomics ;)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2526381

View2-7925121.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

MidlandsM wrote: »
    it is, and what the seller does'nt know about alfa's and how to keep them right, well, you could write it on the back of a stamp!:)

he's got 3 of em' right now, loves his alfas. This is easily the best cheap 156 for sale in Ireland right now, Tempted meself!

Wow that surprises me, mine is very similar to that. Is that all they are worth these days??

Really dislike that stupid spoiler on the back. I would have replaced the front badge too, it's a really easy cheap fix and makes the car look much better.

Taxed, serviced, nct'd and the all important tbelt done on this alfa......I know this car well, good jammer and an honest seller....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2461102

How about this

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2480192

Just realised it's lhd... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kevvv

i know a alfa breaker who will sell you any colour leather interior with doorcards. between 250-400 depending on colour and spec. he will also fit it for around 50 ,
    pm me if you want his number

Only paid €100 for my leathers including door cards :eek: Tried a few breakers myself but ended up getting a bargain privately :p Fitting on the other hand, those sneaky Italians really didnt help in that department :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kevvv

166man wrote: »
    Really dislike that stupid spoiler on the back. I would have replaced the front badge too, it's a really easy cheap fix and makes the car look much better.

Completely agree on the spoiler, and the badge too. My front badge has just started to fade from the sun too. Was it much trouble taking the old badge off?

This could be a bargain too,
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2527922
    Only thing that throws me off is the aul "sold as is"

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2525739
    Looks like it may have been sitting up. Could be a good doner car :p

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2520037
    On a roll with 2.5 V6 engines here, but this definitely looks like a bargain. Only if I could get insured on it :p

Kevvv wrote: »
    Completely agree on the spoiler, and the badge too. My front badge has just started to fade from the sun too. Was it much trouble taking the old badge off?

This could be a bargain too,
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2527922
    Only thing that throws me off is the aul "sold as is"

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2520037
    On a roll with 2.5 V6 engines here, but this definitely looks like a bargain. Only if I could get insured on it :p

I bought one of the badges on ebay and it's sitting around here somewhere still haven't put it on the car yet. No doubt the italians will make that nice and difficult!

That 700 quid Alfa would make some donor car if the engine is straight. Fantastic engine!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

166man wrote: »
    How about this

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2480192

Just realised it's lhd... :(

even still as a left hooker, some value!:)

even still as a left hooker, some value!:)

True daecent NCT too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I can't agree on the Alfa's I know at least 5 people that have bought them handy like that, and another friend of mine goes through them like hot dinners, 145's, 146, 156 1.6, 1.8 2.0, and they're all just constant heart breakers with niggley bits and piece going wrong with them. One of them the engine blew.

Gorgeous looking cars, lovely cars to drive but honestly, if you're not a mechanic or some what way inclined, I would advise getting one thoroughly checked out and one with a good history.

Of course, there are plenty of good ones out there too :)

(I'm a big Alfa fan for anyone who thinks I'm bashing or plans or arguing my point )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,383 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Kevvv wrote: »
    I hate that "Tax only as the 2.0 litre" sh!t though.... :mad:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Have to agree with LM (and I drive a 156). There are too many bad ones out there whose previous owner(s) treated them like a carina or corolla and skimped on maintainence.

When someone asks me would I buy another I say yes, when someone asks me would I recommend one, I usually say no!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Esel wrote: »
    I hate that "Tax only as the 2.0 litre" sh!t though.... :mad:

I've always wondered, is it just a matter of them paying 2.0 tax or do they have to sign a declaration or something? What are the potential penalties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

I've always wondered, is it just a matter of them paying 2.0 tax or do they have to sign a declaration or something? What are the potential penalties?

Well you can change the details on the reg cert, it seems to be getting tightened up a lot these days but it used to be real easy anyway.
    As for problems you can get in legal difficulty and get fined severly over the tax evasion, and your insurance will also be invalid as you've declare false details.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I can't agree on the Alfa's I know at least 5 people that have bought them handy like that, and another friend of mine goes through them like hot dinners, 145's, 146, 156 1.6, 1.8 2.0, and they're all just constant heart breakers with niggley bits and piece going wrong with them. One of them the engine blew.
    )

Old news LM in fairness, and shure the engine can and will go POP on any cheap 2nd hand car, shure did'nt your cheap SAAB go bang on the way home?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Old news LM in fairness, and shure the engine can and will go POP on any cheap 2nd hand car, shure did'nt your cheap SAAB go bang on the way home?:D

That was unfortunate alright. It put me off Saabs for good.

Confab wrote: »
    That was unfortunate alright. It put me off Saabs for good.

Should only put you off the ones prone to oil sludge effecting the pick up, 2.0s mainly I think, not too sure though.

Hence why I'd advise anyone likewise :)

Are we going to have a little handbags fight each time I post now just because I said your little Puntos weren't worth 1100? :)

Gorgeous looking cars, lovely cars to drive but honestly, if you're not a mechanic or some what way inclined, I would advise getting one thoroughly checked out and one with a good history.

Of course, there are plenty of good ones out there too :)

(I'm a big Alfa fan for anyone who thinks I'm bashing or plans or arguing my point )

I also know 4 people who have (had) one and not had any serious problems including myself although mine has been in the family for a decade... There are many things wrong with it but they are only small. When you drive it and feel just how light and precise all the controls are, suddenly small problems are insignificant... Good history is essential though.

However I think the 147,156 and 166 were all some of Alfas best cars. The new Alfas aren't a patch on the old ones in my opinion. I have driven the 156, newer 166 and the 159 so I have a rough idea what they are like.

I completely agree though that it's hard to recommend them on paper and you must drive one to know...

• Advertisement

Great cars to drive, even with their flaws, but again it's all those little things that add up :) A friend of mine had a 00 one, same colour as yours with black leather, and he had so many problems with it. Stopped up on him one day and he got a tow truck tocome along, then he realised he left his keys inside and the car had locked itself! So he ended up smashing the window and just scrapping it.

I don't mind problems that are easy fix but my experience with Alfa's is that they'll keep reoccurring, things like Air flows etc!

And sparks for the twin spark are also crazy money :eek:

Great cars to drive, even with their flaws, but again it's all those little things that add up :) A friend of mine had a 00 one, same colour as yours with black leather, and he had so many problems with it. Stopped up on him one day and he got a tow truck tocome along, then he realised he left his keys inside and the car had locked itself! So he ended up smashing the window and just scrapping it.

I don't mind problems that are easy fix but my experience with Alfa's is that they'll keep reoccurring, things like Air flows etc!

And sparks for the twin spark are also crazy money :eek:

Yes many did have problems but 3 people in my extended family have or have had a 156 and never anything major. I have had problems with the sunroof in mine but found it just needed a new seal around the frame. Also the air con was always cr*p in the car and never worked so our mechanic just left the vents open permanently and it works grand now it's just always on though!

I can see how these small things annoy some people, not me though I enjoy driving it too much! If you get a good one though, few cars give more for the money than the 147/156/166.. :)

The chocolate suspension and crazy short cam belt intervals wouldn't suit lots of folk though. Still as a sub €1500 car one with a recent belt change and fresh NCT would be well worth chancing. I think the interior of the 156 is a bit cramped and cheap feeling though for what the car is/was. Leathered up ones are compensation for that in fairness.

RoverJames wrote: »
    The chocolate suspension and crazy short cam belt intervals wouldn't suit lots of folk though. Still as a sub €1500 car one with a recent belt change and fresh NCT would be well worth chancing. I think the interior of the 156 is a bit cramped and cheap feeling though for what the car is/was. Leathered up ones are compensation for that in fairness.

I think it's every 36k miles costs about 400 quid to have done. Not much of a problem to me though I don't do very much mileage. The boot is surprisingly big though although the rear quarters are a bit cramped... when I have the time/money I would love to put a leather interior into it, it would work so well..

Guys I know the lad selling this and after looking at it today its A) tidy enough and B) it'll be bought for around a grand. ( he'll kill me for this :D )

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2529875

Full?id=7939538

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I was searching for early 156's on donedeal the other day and they all seem to have disappeared. For what was once such a common car, 1998 models are as rare as hen's teeth!

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I was searching for early 156's on donedeal the other day and they all seem to have disappeared. For what was once such a common car, 1998 models are as rare as hen's teeth!

All been scrapped, that oh so famous friend of mine bought a perfect one for 150 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

All been scrapped, that oh so famous friend of mine bought a perfect one for 150 quid.

It's amazing really.

I know the belts need to be done every 40-50k miles and the front suspension bushes are a weak point, but I remember up until about three years ago you would see one on every street corner.

A relative bought a 2.0 TS brand new back in '98 and I will never forget my first spin in it. It had extremely comfy blue velour seats and I remember how I couldn't get over the integrated rear door handles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭vectra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭alias no.9

VolvoMan wrote: »

With residuals so low, they're an economic write off for the want of a new set of tyres.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement