Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭mondeo

Well according to the 'vehicle transaction enquiry' on the motortax website that volvo had a change of ownership only a month odd ago. It does not say sold to a trader so it must be in someone's name currently as a private car which turned out to be abit of a pig and now flogging it! I wouldn't go near it anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,615 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mondeo wrote: »
    Well according to the 'vehicle transaction enquiry' on the motortax website that volvo had a change of ownership only a month odd ago. It does not say sold to a trader so it must be in someone's name currently as a private car which turned out to be abit of a pig and now flogging it! I wouldn't go near it anyways.

Nice detective work :cool:

Another optimist who thought it was worth a punt. Probably paid more than 795 for it too, the poor cnut :D

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2495524

Full?id=7796956

I nearly would at the price, 180k miles, but for €600 and NCTd for 10 months, 45+ mpg. You'd have to play russian roulette with the belts though for maximum bangernomics fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Love the 480. Are they any good?

Supposedly they are not as sporty to drive as they look.

Electrics can also be extremely dodgy.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2550307

Full?id=8022438

For those who don't fancy the timing belt russian roulette :pac:
    Less miles than the other one too, hatch though (one needs a saloon for pipe and slippers wafting) and the wheels are a bit sh1tty, over 20 months NCT though.

• Advertisement

I'd love a 2.0 V6 one of them in Connoisseur spec.

A true polished turd.:pac:

RoverJames wrote: »
    I nearly would at the price, 180k miles, but for €600 and NCTd for 10 months, 45+ mpg. You'd have to play russian roulette with the belts though for maximum bangernomics fun.

Russian roulette you call it? Far from it. Only a complete lunatic would spend €300 to change the cambelt on a €600 banger. Sane people just chance it and if it pops (unlikely) they'll just buy another €600 banger.

True.
    But it is still russian roulette, if it goes it goes.

Aye I know exactly what you mean. Timing belt failure & bangernomics would probably deserve a thread for itself though, but what are the chances the belt snaps? If you are caring about your cherished Alfa, you'd better change every 36k miles, but on a banger? Several cars these days have a 100k miles / 10 years interval. My 25 year old car seems to have a 5 year / 50k miles interval but reports of belt failure are extremely rare even for cars with no belt change in 20 years

And are there any non-interference engines out there at all in relatively modern cars? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,381 ✭✭✭✭Esel

unkel wrote: »
    And are there any non-interference engines out there at all in relatively modern cars? :)
    Carina II 3S-FE (2.0i) is anyway.... :pac: (also used in later Carina E, and early Avensis, afaik).

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

toyota 3SGE in the Celica, Carina GTi and the jap IS200 Altezza thing.

My ZT is on the original belts, 6 years/90k mile interval, she's 10 is a few months. The KV6 isn't known as a belt snapper, water pump or tensioner issues would be more of a concern, still, doesn't make sense to get the belts done on a car that could be replaced for €1500 ish, belt change is not cheap on them.

We should start a belt gamblers thread, RJ :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭pcardin

VolvoMan wrote: »
    This is a cheap new model V70 as long as it's not a ticking time bomb (engine management light on): http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2442610

I bought the same model earlier this year and on my way home the engine management light came on. Was a bit shocked and mad but still kept driving as there was no problems with the way it drived at all. Got home and jumped on google. Turns out that this light on all volvos (s60, v70, s80) can come up for millions of reasons. It can be something serious (like that O2 sensor that cost around 1k I think) but it can also light up if petrol is no as good as car computer thinks it should, bad spark from spark plugs, any interruption in the work of any of those hundreds of sensors these cars have. Basically loads and load of reasons for light to come on.
    I bought an OBD tool of ebay that reads the codes. Paid €14. Problem was bad contact at MAF. That tool can also switch the light off which I did after and light never came back again.
    So if that car in question drives fine and autobox works fine it's a good car to buy for that money.
    In the past cars didn't had these stupid computers and engine management lights and everything was just fine. Now the car manufacturers have put this crazy engine management in every car so they can send driver to official dealer on regular basis. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Full?id=8049455

450 euro for a bit of craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

Full?id=8049455

Something is very wrong with you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭mondeo

Wouldn't take that metro yoke for free:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

[QUOTE=YouTookMyName;74554743
    450 euro for a bit of craic.[/QUOTE]

450euro for crack more like..

pcardin wrote: »
    Basically loads and load of reasons for light to come on.

Of course. But you're missing the point. This car was bought by the current owner a month ago, most likely with the engine light on already. The guy bought it cheap enough hoping he could do a quick fix (just like you did). Then it turned out the engine was on the way out or something else very serious and expensive. That's why he put it up for sale again at a keen price, ready for the next punter :D

Only speculating here of course, but chances are I'm right...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

And a whole lot of rust, most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Of course. But you're missing the point. This car was bought by the current owner a month ago, most likely with the engine light on already. The guy bought it cheap enough hoping he could do a quick fix (just like you did). Then it turned out the engine was on the way out or something else very serious and expensive. That's why he put it up for sale again at a keen price, ready for the next punter :D

Only speculating here of course, but chances are I'm right...

Unfortunately you're probably right..:D

Annoying though because they are a good car..

Damn you mods and your ability to be correct... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭scoobymunster

How many times can ya change/reuse an ad? That ad is now for some transport company looking for an iveco:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Just RE: Belt gambling, not fun at all. Belt broke on my Golf a week after I bought it. (the 1.4 one three years ago)

How many times can ya change/reuse an ad? That ad is now for some transport company looking for an iveco:confused:

It was for the worst rover 100 ever.

mondeo wrote: »
    Wouldn't take that metro yoke for free:p

"Lynn, I am not driving a Mini Metro."

Just RE: Belt gambling, not fun at all............

'tis grand for as long as you get away with it though :pac:

RoverJames wrote: »
    'tis grand for as long as you get away with it though :pac:

As is pretty much anything if you want to think about it that way :D:pac:

166man wrote: »
    Damn you mods and your ability to be correct... :D

I'm not a moderator on this forum though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I'm not a moderator on this forum though :)

Damn you mods and your ability to be correct..:D

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,562 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Bargain anyone? :)

Toledo 2.3 V5

toledo001.jpg

• Advertisement

Sorry to see that there are vulchers all over it already for parts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement