Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Most god awful unreliable heap of s*** anyone in my family has ever had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I generally wouldn't mind the freelander, I'd just avoid the 1.8 tbh....

I'd have no problems with the diesel lump to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

And the frontera isn't too bad either. Its a workhorse, albeit and unrefined and slow one. But for the snow it wouldn't be a bad machine.

Others I'd consider

Old Pajeros, Troopers and Discoverys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

That freelander seems to have all the important bits, headgasket done etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

kieranfitz wrote: »
    Most god awful unreliable heap of s*** anyone in my family has ever had
    I take it you've never driven or been a passenger in an old Vitara then ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Lads I havnt a clue what half the jargon on the posts are but im trusting you's if you I coudl ask for your help... Im looking for a motor.... 1.0 - 1.3 engine... 3dr/5dr, small/medium first time driver less that €800, manual or automatic. I had a Mit Mirage/colt 1998 Auto lined up for €500 but seems to be the lady wont see even thought its been parked up for 2years now.

Any bargains you've seen I'll be greatful for some of your recommendations! cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Any bargains you've seen I'll be greatful for some of your recommendations! cheers!

The bargains normally crop up on a daily basis on this thread saving you the bother of rummaging through the crap on the internet. Keep your eyes on this thread basically.

Where are you located and how far would you travel is also important?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Lads I havnt a clue what half the jargon on the posts are but im trusting you's if you I coudl ask for your help... Im looking for a motor.... 1.0 - 1.3 engine... 3dr/5dr, small/medium first time driver less that €800, manual or automatic. I had a Mit Mirage/colt 1998 Auto lined up for €500 but seems to be the lady wont see even thought its been parked up for 2years now.

Quite possibly better off strting a thread of your own based on the above criteria. This thread is so busy that your request will get lost very quickly. Do keep an eye here though and if you spot something you like lettuce know!

Do keep in mind that the cars posted here are potentially decent cars at low prices, they could well be total heaps of muck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/2432381
    ford granada estate,
    test just up but a nice comfy armchair for a motorway journey with a boot that would take the emigrated youth in the back of it.

tuborg_man wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/2432381
    ford granada estate,
    test just up but a nice comfy armchair for a motorway journey with a boot that would take the emigrated youth in the back of it.

'tis a saloon in the add

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

RoverJames wrote: »
    'tis a saloon in the add
    And its a Scorpio and not a Granada ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

RoverJames wrote: »
    'tis a saloon in the add
    yep, posted the wrong one, was looking at big fords so got confuddled,
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/2413081

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭patrickc

fiesta no pics

nct nov 12 needs new battery only ad says €300

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2571538

01 saab 93 €1000 no mention of NCT

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2186211

2003 MG zr NCT 9/12 €1600

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2571488

99 Honda accord NCT 4/13 €1200

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2063628

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

BX 19 wrote: »
    And the frontera isn't too bad either. Its a workhorse, albeit and unrefined and slow one. But for the snow it wouldn't be a bad machine.

The older frontera should be though of as exactly that. They are good tow vehicles and have quite a high rated capacity. 2.8 td (old school isuzu engine) is probably the best option, the 2.3 td is grand in that it'll keep plodding away but is unreal slow, not even just ordinarily slow i mean barely better series 3 landrovers but for a cheap workhorse it'd be alright and would certainly do fine as a cheap winter hack as you shouldn't be trying to go fast in poor conditions anyway.

I'm not a fan of the 2.5 or the later 2.2dti i've seen them cause too much hassle.

For mechanical reliability you will not beat an old 2.8td trooper but most are pretty damn rusty and those that aren't don't come up for sale all too often, but usually a bit of welding will get many of them through a test, almost all of them that are left are commercials though. An early, reasonably well minded disco with the TDi engine could actually be a lot better than you'd think also though. They need a little bit more tlc on an ongoing basis than the japanese machines of the time or so i've found but they're not bad old motors.

To run one any 4x4 properly/legally as your private car, to save garda hassle and insurance woes it'll have to be taxed as a private vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

_Conrad_ wrote: »
    For mechanical reliability you will not beat an old 2.8td trooper but most are pretty damn rusty and those that aren't don't come up for sale all too often, but usually a bit of welding will get many of them through a test, almost all of them that are left are commercials though. An early, reasonably well minded disco with the TDi engine could actually be a lot better than you'd think also though. They need a little bit more tlc on an ongoing basis than the japanese machines of the time or so i've found but they're not bad old motors.

The TDI's are great yolks, rust like hell but if you had one, and you had a good battery in it you'd be pretty much guaranteed that it would start! You might want to build up the muscle in your left leg for the clutch, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The TDI's are great yolks, rust like hell but if you had one, and you had a good battery in it you'd be pretty much guaranteed that it would start! You might want to build up the muscle in your left leg for the clutch, though.

At least the TDi engines are still servicable/repairable by anybody with a bit clue. The TD4/TD5/TDV6 engines need ECU programming etc. and are thus often avoided by enthusiasts.

But if you talk to Landy fans, the TDi engines definatly don't get slagging. Just got a spin in a classic Landy with TDi transplant recently and it was pretty d*** quick.

/M

Quick!? LOL, a 94 TDI Discovery was probably the slowest thing I've eevveerrr driven! (Bar a 1.6 Sierra)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Quick!? LOL, a 94 TDI Discovery was probably the slowest thing I've eevveerrr driven! (Bar a 1.6 Sierra)

Try a 1hd-te amazon with 4 speed auto :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The classic Landy is a good bit lighter than a disco and quick is also meant relative to a Landy with regular diesel engine, not quick compared to something else :) Landies are not fast, full stop.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

Sure I said nothin bad about them there, grand machines just not as happy with being neglected as the jap stuff. I think they have a nice sort of "character" to them though. As for the clutch... real men don't fear clutches! :pac:

Yes

View2-7330398.jpeg

1400 sheets
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2385304

Love it. 85k miles, low(ish) 2.0 litre tax. I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

E39MSport wrote: »
    1400 sheets
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2385304

Love it. 85k miles, low(ish) 2.0 litre tax. I would.

E30's seem to be getting cheaper these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    E30's seem to be getting cheaper these days!

It's sort of a similar story to the Twin Cam. People were paying silly prices for them during the boom because they were retro and RWD.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    It's sort of a similar story to the Twin Cam. People were paying silly prices for them during the boom because they were retro and RWD.

If there are Cams about for 1500 that don't have as much rust as the titanic, please link them :)

E30's were never in the same "league" as the twin cams, price wise. Cam's still fetch a pretty dollar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

If there are Cams about for 1500 that don't have as much rust as the titanic, please link them :)

I never said that they cost the same. What I meant was that they were both fetching vastly inflated prices relative to what they are fetching today.
    E30's were never in the same "league" as the twin cams, price wise. Cam's still fetch a pretty dollar.

They were both the cars that every bricklayer and plumber were buying during the boom. I remember E30 prices shot up around this time.

They also both have a huge Donegal fan base in common.

Twin cam as in AE86?

• Advertisement

Aye but where as a puny 1.6 cam could of make 7-8 grand, and most good ones still do, the max I've ever seen a very good 325i go for is €4,500.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement