Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Banger? -yes
    nomics? - not so much
    Rare? Hell yeah

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2530421

No NCT, bottomless pit IMHO.

And a Dog at the best of times. Why bother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

VolvoMan wrote: »
    A nice car that the seller is threatening to break: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2604602

The only real off putting thing is the damage on the left hand rear side. It seems generally neglected.

This is the real bangernomics car though: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2593836

They're both petrol.

I've just spent the weekend in a S80 T6.

Petrol Volvos are really thirsty, don't expect anything other than low 20's

The auto box is a disaster, use the tip tronic option for overtaking.

Other than that, it has the most comfotable seat ever I have sat upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

^^^^ was just looking at that (BMW) advert myself. Looks like she's seen quite a bit of polish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,615 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What does it take to convince you that buying a 6 pot 7-series is the quickest route to disappointment?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Fishtits wrote: »
    They're both petrol.

I've just spent the weekend in a S80 T6.

Petrol Volvos are really thirsty, don't expect anything other than low 20's

The auto box is a disaster, use the tip tronic option for overtaking.

Other than that, it has the most comfotable seat ever I have sat upon.

Total different kettle of fish.

The S80 T6 is a rare, poorly conceived car. It has a twin turbo straight six hooked up to a four speed auto (sourced from GM) and I don't think you need me to tell you what that does to power.;)
    shblob wrote: »
    Those volvos are so damn ugly stop posting them!!

they look like 87 not 97.. horrible.

Well in fairness to the 940, it was technically launched in 1982.

The reason I post so many is because they are what I see when I do my routine browse on donedeal every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

RoverJames wrote: »
    They came out in 1989, they looked a lot better than most of the competition imo.
    We will agree to disagree on this mon amis.. not to my personal liking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

unkel wrote: »
    What does it take to convince you that buying a 6 pot 7-series is the quickest route to disappointment?

I drive a 90 bhp Golf diesel, power is the least of my concerns and there's no hope of me buying a V8!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Pure Eastern European Mafia wannabe if you ask me. Wouldnt be seen in that yoke if you paid me.

Admittedly it's a bit much with the tints, the wind deflectors etc. I wouldn't drive it myself, especially not around Limerick, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

The reason I post so many is because they are what I see when I do my routine browse on donedeal every day.

I thought your username was a dead giveaway:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

Admittedly it's a bit much with the tints, the wind deflectors etc. I wouldn't drive it myself, especially not around Limerick, lol.

It's too old for any actual limerick gang member to be seen driving it, and it's not a b5.5 or b6 passat or audi A4 or avensis so none of the hangers on would be interested, it's grand. Not that you can drive a car that low easily in limerick with the roads but still.

Here's an utterly bizarre JDM Honda Legend: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-STANDARD-1997-HONDA-LEGEND-IMPORT-EVEN-HAS-JAPANESE-SAT-NAV-TV-JUNE-MOT-/220866161607?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item336ca62bc7

The Japanese really are weird. I mean, bare steel wheels on a luxury car!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Here's an utterly bizarre JDM Honda Legend: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-STANDARD-1997-HONDA-LEGEND-IMPORT-EVEN-HAS-JAPANESE-SAT-NAV-TV-JUNE-MOT-/220866161607?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item336ca62bc7

25k will get you a 2011 Passat with steel wheels here. ..

25k will get you a 2011 Passat with steel wheels here. ..

True, but have you ever come across a 3.5 litre V6 executive car before with steel wheels (not even any hubcaps), cloth seats and a sat nav?

Taxi spec?

_Conrad_ wrote: »
    Taxi spec?

They use even more basic cars than that in Japan. They are usually stripped out Nissan Laurel's and Toyota Crown's that ceased normal production years ago. They are also LPG.

They use cars even more basic cars than that in Japan. They are usually stripped out Nissan Laurel's and Toyota Crown's that ceased normal production years ago. They are also LPG.

I've seen the laurels, crowns etc. and toyota celsiors (LS400 body with lower spec and often turbodiesel engines).

That honda could have been a "posh" taxi or maybe a courtesy car/hotel car (to pick people up from airports etc) was what i was thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,615 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I drive a 90 bhp Golf diesel, power is the least of my concerns and there's no hope of me buying a V8!!!

Ah I know, but really!!!

Maybe get a 525 / 528 E39 first until you build up your NCB / bank account a bit further so you have the readies to go V8 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

Passat 1.6, 500eur, "needs starter". Probably just the battery I'd say. Push start it and get your arse on the road for another 9 months of the NCT. http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2600655

barura wrote: »
    Passat 1.6, 500eur, "needs starter". Probably just the battery I'd say. ..........

Easy to find out pre purchase anyway, I'd tend to think the seller may have an idea it's not the battery though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Easy to find out pre purchase anyway, I'd tend to think the seller may have an idea it's not the battery though.

I don't think he was bothered either way. Seems to be the type of buy a banger until a fails, then replace it with another banger.

A '00 Passat at 500 quid is insane good value though. Even if it's a 1.6 petrol.

/M

Plenty of crashed ones in breakers yards to get another starter, in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Plenty of crashed ones in breakers yards to get another starter, in any case.
    Me thinks there are more problems around the corner than just a starter..

Me thinks there are more problems around the corner than just a starter..
    And such is the gamble of bangernomics! :pac:

Passat 1.6, 500eur, "needs starter". Probably just the battery I'd say. Push start it and get your arse on the road for another 9 months of the NCT. http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2600655

AAHHH! that is a horrendous colour. I remember having to special order a golf in that colour because someone really wanted it for some reason.

They are also terribly thirsty, so heavy and only propelled buy that gutless 1.6 engine.

It is cheap though but you'd want to have your wits about you looking it over

It'd be nice in the winter to have something that you wouldn't mind... Well, crashing. The colour would make you stand out a mile, also.

It'd be nice in the winter to have something that you wouldn't mind... Well, crashing. The colour would make you stand out a mile, also.

Or you could set about winter driving from a starting point where you've resolved to avoid crashing if at all possible by taking great care and all possible precautions. If you start out thinking "I wouldn't mind crashing this", that's bound to make you more likely to crash as you'll probably take less care when driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭mondeo

The engine could be seized in that passat for all one knows, reminds me years ago of a civic I bought that didnt start, distributor wasnt sparking so took a risk and bought it to find out the rings were gone, piston slap the works! I was only a potless 19 year old at the time so bad times:o

_Conrad_ wrote: »
    Or you could set about winter driving from a starting point where you've resolved to avoid crashing if at all possible by taking great care and all possible precautions. If you start out thinking "I wouldn't mind crashing this", that's bound to make you more likely to crash as you'll probably take less care when driving.
    Good grief, I wouldn't be so silly! I meant it in the way that if you have a car parked and someone slams into it. You can't stop someone doing that in icy weather. I'm generally not in my car at all in that weather. Best form of prevention is abstaining and all that...

• Advertisement

Anyway here's a little lancer nct 2013, €775
    Should be cheap reliable motoring if a little dull.
    1.6 engine maybe a bit more thirsty than 1.3 but won't leave you struggling to get moving as much or under such strain on a motorway due to a bit more poke.
    A nice little engine too.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2557296

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement