Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭mmarks

On Saturday I bought a new car.

Year 2000 Audi A6 2.4 Quattro.
    NCT until July 2012 and (hows this for the holy grail of bangernomics) taxed until the end of April 2012 - 7 months.
    Timing belt, water pump and 4 Bridgestone tyres in the last 5000 miles.
    Full wallet of history and all receipts (down to wiper blades and bulbs) from new.
    Has the upgraded Concert stereo with autochanger and Bose 250watt amplifier.
    Parrot hands free kit fitted.
    136,000 miles and a few (very minor) scrapes which should polish out.
    Hasn't got the leather or big alloys (just the standard 16" alloys).
    just did my daily 45 mile commute this morning, absolutely silent, great grip in the rain with the quattro system, everything works as it should - the computer display has a couple of lines missing (told its a common problem) and thats about it!!!!!

So, enough of the sales talk - now for the bangernomics part...........

Bargained the seller down to an incredible (I think) 1100 Euro (the tax is worth half of that). He delivered it to my house on Sunday morning (an 80 mile round trip) then gave me 50 Euro back as it didn't have much petrol left in it.

So, 1050 Euro purchase.

I reckon that qualifies as bangernomics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭patrickc

mmarks wrote: »

NCT until July 2012 and (hows this for the holy grail of bangernomics) taxed until the end of April 2012 - 7 months.
    Full wallet of history and all receipts (down to wiper blades and bulbs) from new.
    just did my daily 45 mile commute this morning, absolutely silent, great grip in the rain with the quattro system, everything works as it should - the computer display has a couple of lines missing (told its a common problem) and thats about it!!!!!

Bargained the seller down to an incredible (I think) 1100 Euro (the tax is worth half of that). He delivered it to my house on Sunday morning (an 80 mile round trip) then gave me 50 Euro back as it didn't have much petrol left in it.

So, 1050 Euro purchase.

well wear nice buy and lovely car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

..........Parrot hands free kit fitted.
    136,000 miles ............Bargained the seller down to an incredible (I think) 1100 Euro (the tax is worth half of that)..............So, 1050 Euro purchase.

Best I've seen mentioned in here yet.
    Well done sir :cool:

_Conrad_ wrote: »
    Anyway here's a little lancer nct 2013, €775
    Should be cheap reliable motoring if a little dull.
    1.6 engine maybe a bit more thirsty than 1.3 but won't leave you struggling to get moving as much or under such strain on a motorway due to a bit more poke.
    A nice little engine too.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2557296

They were a grand yoke, went really really well too, the Lancer isn't a big car for that engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

RoverJames wrote: »
    They were a grand yoke, went really really well too, the Lancer isn't a big car for that engine.

Just remembered I temporarily had a JDM one of these about 13/14 years back with the 1.5dohc engine. Grand little thing and fairly quick seeing as it was so light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

RoverJames wrote: »

Indeed myself and my father kept one around the yard here a few years ago that we took as a trade-in as a work runaround/sare car it was god craic atually, motored along nicely and didn't mind being thrown into bends (for a cheap standard car anyway)

A friend of mine also used to be "into" these, he had several in various specs until he got a 1.8 GSR (from me, the day i bought it, he came with me to pick it up and got so jealous he had to have it)
    MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Just remembered I temporarily had a JDM one of these about 13/14 years back with the 1.5dohc engine. Grand little thing and fairly quick seeing as it was so light.

same friend mentioned above also had a 1.5 ( 1.5 MX i think it was), "JDM YO!" that was a little cracker, had a nice aftermarket suspension setup and a very rev-happy engine. Bit more mid range out of the 1.6 though.
    They do go quite well for what they are, i think even the most basic 1.6 SOHC had approximately 115 bhp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Nct 9/12 Tax 11/11 1.3

390EURO!!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2607605

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

kermitpwee wrote: »
    Nct 9/12 Tax 11/11 1.3

390EURO!!

Sorry, but no.

Just no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

That's only across the road from me! I think...

• Advertisement

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Sorry, but no.

Just no.

Snob:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Full?id=8133175
    Full?id=8133183

Price: € 500

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Nct 9/12 Tax 11/11 1.3

390EURO!!

It is a car, that's about it though.

Walking would be a preferable option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

mileage is bit dodge, that mondeo had 101k miles in 2007. 10k done in 4 years??? and "Car looks like five years ago when I bought it in the garage Citroen in Tralee." It's the same friggin car lol....

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭tiernanobrien

It is a car, that's about it though.

Walking would be a preferable option

I used to have the 3dr jap import version of that! it was an awesome car! never a days bother out of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I used to have the 3dr jap import version of that! it was an awesome car! never a days bother out of it!

This yoke? http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/suzuki/baleno-1995/?section=good
    Owners like them. Got the 'ladies prize' at the 1996 Birmingham Motor Show
    :D

386_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Bit of an odd one this. 2.5tds Auto but it has been parked up for years. The mileage is very low but its also well out of test. Could be just a question of some air in the tyres, oil and filter and away you go or every single flexi hose and bit of rubber might need replacing nevermind brake calipers and the like. Worth a look though ;) .... oh and he's only asking 1300 quid so it must come home around a grand.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2602754

Full?id=8241980

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Bit of an odd one this. 2.5tds Auto but it has been parked up for years. The mileage is very low but its also well out of test. Could be just a question of some air in the tyres, oil and filter and away you go or every single flexi hose and bit of rubber might need replacing nevermind brake calipers and the like. Worth a look though ;) .... oh and he's only asking 1300 quid so it must come home around a grand.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2602754

Good solid BMW diesel engine in those anyhow. RWD, too.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/2610923

Kinda half not wanting to post this, but hopefully someone on here will buy it and prevent me from buying it!!

I Was VB wrote: »

Kinda half not wanting to post this, but hopefully someone on here will buy it and prevent me from buying it!!

Feck it sure fire away.

Wonder does he mean injector pump leaking or lift pump from the tank though?

"-need shock absorbers on the back and fuel punp is licking"

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    Good solid BMW diesel engine in those anyhow. RWD, too.

/M

Even if you got it for a grand and it didn't work out, as long as the engine itself was good you'd nearly be sure to make back the price from breaking it, eventually of course.

P.S apologies for not doing a multiquote instead of two replies, computer playing up though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

So, 1050 Euro purchase.

Pics?

_Conrad_ wrote: »
    Feck it sure fire away.

Wonder does he mean injector pump leaking or lift pump from the tank though?

"-need shock absorbers on the back and fuel punp is licking"
    I reckon its the injector pump, i never seen a lift pump leak and there cheap anyway, lovely car that but if its ithe injector pump its too dear unless your obsessed:D

I reckon this could be a cracking buy, I like older cars so dont get your knickers in a twist:D

MERCEDES 200T W124 Nct 10/12 petrol 2litre auto estate

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/2603449

750EURO

It maybe not be the cheapest banger to run but in my eyes still has a little class for peanuts if the autobox is ok.

I reckon this could be a cracking buy, I like older cars so dont get your knickers in a twist:D

MERCEDES 200T W124 Nct 10/12 petrol 2litre auto estate

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/2603449

750EURO

It maybe not be the cheapest banger to run but in my eyes still has a little class for peanuts if the autobox is ok.

Nothin wrong with that for someone who's ok with fuelling it. Would have it's rewards in the form of being a big solid practical car, with good space and comfort, and nice and smooth tor drive. Not a great one for doing big miles simply due to the cost of petrol put a grand price for that one anyway, looks pretty tidy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I Was VB wrote: »

I want lighty-uppy seat belt anchors! :eek:

Full?id=8276347

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

Top Dog wrote: »
    I want lighty-uppy seat belt anchors! :eek:

Full?id=8276347

comes as standard on the Rolls Royce of Bangladesh :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

What would a volvo 960 3L 1995 saloon be worth,
    Good car, I never use it anymore, Perfect driver though,
    No problems with it ,
    Some rust on front drivers wing, Strange, But other than that its ok,

S1075783_17.jpg

Same color as this one i googled, Different wheels though,

With a recent NCT about €500, not much without one if it's been layed up a while, candidate for the scrapyard unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Blue Punto

argosy2006 wrote: »
    What would a volvo 960 3L 1995 saloon be worth,
    Good car, I never use it anymore, Perfect driver though,
    No problems with it ,
    Some rust on front drivers wing, Strange, But other than that its ok,

S1075783_17.jpg

Same color as this one i googled, Different wheels though,

i had one of these years ago and loved it (except for the fuel consumption).
    I actually used it as a taxi for a year before I gave up that game.

As roverjames said its not worth much as people aint to interseted in a 3 ltr petrol these days unless it a BMW/MERC which is a shame as the 960 was miles better than both in my opinion

BUT DONT SCRAP IT
    (i might be interested in restoring it myself if the price is right)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement