Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

That would make a nice weekend driver and will qualify for classic insurance in Jan

If buying off an enthusiast I'd expect it to be tested to be honest. I do like the 155s though, really nice looking cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

And has all the maintenance done. Seems like a winner. And they are really really rare! I actually saw this in Dublin a few months ago. It was night so I didn't take a picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ugglasdav

johnos1984 wrote: »
    That would make a nice weekend driver and will qualify for classic insurance in Jan

are you sure u can get classic insurance after only 15 years?

ugglasdav wrote: »
    100%

I have it organised for a car I'm working on at the minute to take affect at midnight on the 1/1/12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ugglasdav wrote: »

Classic insurance doesn't have a strict age limit like tax does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,413 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

RoverJames wrote: »
    Chuckle chuckle, he was on about the Jag and I was taking the p1ss :)
    I'd take a diesel C5 for a grand if I was doing 2000 miles/month no bother though.

I realised that after I saw a later post. I do know a few people who are crazy into those c5s though and I never understood it

Could you tell me how you went about doing that? Or which company at least? :) That's really interesting. Thuoght most places did it after 20 years.

Eoin wrote: »
    Classic insurance doesn't have a strict age limit like tax does.
    Usual rules apply:

You must have another daily car with insurance policy, be over 25, have a full licence, be a member of IVETA etc.etc.

Also remember that any classic policy for a car at 15 years old will be the most stripped down basic policy known to man (third party only) and will have a mileage limitation of 5k miles per annum and unlike pre 1980's cars the NCT cert will back up the mileage

I got it through http://www.campionins.com/

I haven't paid anything yet as I had a policy for a 30 year old car I took out in May and sold the car in June. They said to leave the policy and they would happily transfer it and give me the balance of insurance for free then charge me full price for the following 12 months. Good guys and understand the classic scene pretty well

Page 3:

http://www.iveta.ie/forms/IVETA%20Campion%20Insurance%20Rates.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

mickdw wrote: »
    I realised that after I saw a later post. I do know a few people who are crazy into those c5s though and I never understood it

They are mistrusted because of the fact they are French and this lets them be bought and sold for a song. Truth is they are next to bomb proof as French cars go, super comfy and unreal on fuel. They might look like a chewed wine gum but the fact is, if you buy a diesel one cheap, you'll find it hard to buy anything better in Bangernomics terms.

• Advertisement

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Nice cars, but they're gettin' a little to frequent... :( Expensive to Tax n Fuel are my main peeves about that car.

barura wrote: »
    :( Expensive to Tax n Fuel are my main peeves about that car.

Its a grand. Thats 2 and a half months payments on a new Mundano Familino 1.6 diesel Cat A hatchback in pin stripe spec with some crap alloys to impress the neighbours. You can spend the next 57 and a half months payments on tax and fuel swanning around in absolute luxury as your neighbour kisses goodbuy to 20 grand plus interest, shoveling his family around in a crap box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Nice cars, but they're gettin' a little to frequent... :( Expensive to Tax n Fuel are my main peeves about that car.

Agreed... plus let's say it needs four tyres for the NCT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Genuinely, I'd rather drink my money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,381 ✭✭✭✭Esel

h3000 wrote: »
    Funny that... clicking the pic never works for me (using FF). So, I prefer straight links! :D

Not your ornery onager

I used to drink my money. At least this way I get something out of it rather than a sore head and a desire to eat breakfast rolls at 5pm in the afternoon. :D

I used to drink my money. At least this way I get something out of it rather than a sore head and a desire to eat breakfast rolls at 5pm in the afternoon. :D

Yeah you get a sore head and a desire to burn your car out at 5 in the afternoons instead ;)

• Advertisement

Yeah you get a sore head and a desire to burn your car out at 5 in the afternoons instead ;)
    What's particularly bad about that car so, joking aside?

It's faded to ****, it's got a "PARK" engine :pac:

It's got 170,000 miles, they're normally ropey enough around 120,000 and the test is out soon. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, they're nothing about that car that would make me go near it. I've seen much cleaner, lower mileage ones in scrapyards.

Oh, I can see that! thought you were knocking the 156 in general. It's a bad example, I agree. Pity a lot of alfa's did end up in scrapyards though. Mate of mine's dad had a 3litre V6 166 and just let it go cause noone would buy it. Too expensive in general between insurance etc. Kicking myself I didn't have a licence at the time to take it off him...

Actually, on a side note, my Golf hit 242,000 today.

Just a little bangernomics report.

Since I've bought it back in, er... June? I've spent

Airflow meter €50
    Halfords washer pipe tubing €5 (new turbo lines ;) that it didn't actually need)
    x2 service kits €60
    Tax €164...

So that's brought me to date. For 12,000 miles, I reckon that's not bad :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Esel wrote: »
    Funny that... clicking the pic never works for me (using FF). So, I prefer straight links! :D

I always use Firefox and it always works fine. I will stick in standard links in the future too just for you :)

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Usual rules apply:

You must have another daily car with insurance policy, be over 25, have a full licence, be a member of IVETA etc.etc.

Not completely accurate there, some policies will allow you have your classic car as you main driver, First Ireland for example. Membership of IVETA is not usually a requirement although most will ask in you're a member of a relevant club, membership online "owners club" will suffice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

h3000 wrote: »
    I always use Firefox and it always works fine. I will stick in standard links in the future too just for you :)

And the fukwits like me ;)

quenching wrote: »
    Not completely accurate there, some policies will allow you have your classic car as you main driver, First Ireland for example. Membership of IVETA is not usually a requirement although most will ask in you're a member of a relevant club, membership online "owners club" will suffice.

John is referring to a policy that will insure 15 year old cars as classics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I would too strangely enough, I think many people have to remember that just because a car has 6-7 months NCT doesn't mean it won't have a whole host of problems. It just means that it was mechanically sound 12-18 months ago. Wouldn't go near that Alfa 170k is quite a lot and the paintwork looks like c**p too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

^^
    hehe, NCT disc can also mean that the test didn't cover something or more likely the tester didn't see something.

I give it no merit personally.

My 8er went through with a broken spring, ruined rear suspension joints/bushings an engine oil leak and a transmission leak.

My thoughts around NCT longevity and a potential bangernomics acquisition is that it's Eur 50 more you don't have to spend and a trip you don't have to make.

EDIt I hate when you ^^ refer to a post only to have yours on a new page :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement