Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

colm_mcm wrote: »
    ............ but they've had engines from loads of manufacturers under their bonnets ......... ford etc.....

Ford used the Volvo 2.3 unit in the Focus ST, didn't know Volvo had to resort to using Ford lumps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,613 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The s40 and laguna shared a 1.8 engine though didn't they?

Maybe you're thinking of the 300 and 400 series Volvos (and DAFs before them) that used Renault petrol and diesel engines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Meh, they're all shoite anyway :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

cadaliac wrote: »
    Yes agreed. I could be totally wrong in my first post about the car (hopefully I am) and in fact if the car is genuine, yoiu could have a lovely car for small money - lovely driver too.

Insane amount of room in the back when you fold the seats down as well. I used my mate's one to move apartment a few years ago, and couldn't believe how much it could take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

The s40 and laguna shared a 1.8 engine though didn't they?

For a short period in the 1990's, Renault used Volvo's four cylinder engine (B4204T3) in their Laguna and Safrane. This engine was built in Skovde in Sweden.
    I accept volvo built the odd engine themselves, but they've had engines from loads of manufacturers under their bonnets (vw,psa,Renault, mitsubishi, ford etc)

In all fairness Colm, you're talking ****e.

The only engines Volvo really used that weren't their own were the diesels, and that was only because diesel was still in its infancy at the time.

The Volvo 300/400 Series were built by Volvo Car B.V. in Holland, which really was Daf's ex car division that Volvo acquired in the 1970's. Daf cars already had a tradition of using Renault engines, explaining why most of those cars were powered by them.

For over thirty years, Volvo cars were powered by the B Series ('red block', which replaced the B4B that had been in use since the 1940's). This powered everything from the Amazon in the 1960's to the 940 which ended production in 1998. The current highest mileage car in the world (Irv Gordon's P1800 at close to three million miles) runs this engine. The PRV (Peugeot-Renault-Volvo) engine supplemented this in the late 1970's, replacing the straight six B30 that previously powered the 164. These were then all gradually replaced by Volvo's aluminium modular block in the 1990's.

The only reason the S40/V40 utilised the Mitsubishi GDi engine was because they were built on the same production line as the Carisma/Space Star, so it made sense to make use of what was thought to be a very advanced engine at the time. The PSA engines only came in when the S40/V50 were launched in 2004, and that was due to simple economies of scale because Volvo were now owned by Ford. This was of course unavoidable for the company, as similar things can be seen today with Jaguar and Land Rover, who don't have a single engine left in production that they can call their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

VolvoMan wrote: »
    For a short period in the 1990's, Renault used Volvo's four cylinder engine (B4204T3) in their Laguna and Safrane. This engine was built in Skovde in Sweden.

In all fairness Colm, you're talking ****e.

The only engines Volvo really used that weren't their own were the diesels, and that was only because diesel was still in its infancy at the time.

The Volvo 300/400 Series were built by Volvo Car B.V. in Holland, which really was Daf's ex car division that Volvo acquired in the 1970's. Daf cars already had a tradition of using Renault engines, explaining why most of those cars were powered by them.

For over thirty years, Volvo cars were powered by the B Series ('red block', which replaced the B4B that had been in use since the 1940's). This powered everything from the Amazon in the 1960's to the 940 which ended production in 1998. The current highest mileage car in the world (Irv Gordon's P1800 at close to three million miles) runs this engine. The PRV (Peugeot-Renault-Volvo) engine supplemented this in the late 1970's, replacing the straight six B30 that previously powered the 164. These were then all gradually replaced by Volvo's aluminium modular block in the 1990's.

The only reason the S40/V40 utilised the Mitsubishi GDi engine was because they were built on the same production line as the Carisma/Space Star, so it made sense to make use of what was thought to be a very advanced engine at the time. The PSA engines only came in when the S40/V50 were launched in 2004, and that was due to simple economies of scale because Volvo were now owned by Ford. This was of course unavoidable for the company, as similar things can be seen today with Jaguar and Land Rover, who don't have a single engine left in production that they can call their own.

This man knows his biitches Volvo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,013 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2530460

Astra coupe with plenty test.
    I'm selling one with leather for a lot less. That is certainly not a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

barura wrote: »

It can't be just coincidence that this ad now features a recovery service, can it?

Seller: "Enjoy the Alfa, she's a beauty!" *under breath* "see you in a week or two, mwahahaha".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

RoverJames wrote: »
    Did he dell it or trade it in? €8500 seems looney money for one of them in 2006 tbh.

Yeah he did well, sold it to the first bloke that came to see it. It was actually on 45k when he sold it, with 4 new premium tyres and just NCT'd. It was fairly mint compared to most of the other 75s for sale at the time, looked brand new.

Some pics from when we sold it
    2.jpg

8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Quazzie wrote: »
    I'm selling one with leather for a lot less. That is certainly not a bargain.

Link?

• Advertisement

It still phases me to this day how those cars weren't a success.

I mean, who would choose a Mk3 Mondeo over one of them?

Aye that's mint alright!

Just as an aside, when I bought, the cheapest 5 year old 75s around were 7-8k. The cheapest 1.4 Octavias were 7k too. I offered the seller 6k and bluffed that I would go no more. To my surprise he took it :D

@RJ - things have moved on a bit since then. In '06 a crap 7 year old 1.4 Golf would have sold for 8k no bother...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,013 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Link?

Not on Donedeal yet as I've to get it tested, but It'll be going up for €1500 with a fresh test. Unfortunately the test will be only for a year as its over 10 years old, but it will be fresh. I'll be sticking it up for €1500 when I do (probably aout three weeks time)

I can send you a link when I do via PM if ya want.

unkel wrote: »
    @RJ - things have moved on a bit since then. In '06 a crap 7 year old 1.4 Golf would have sold for 8k no bother...

I remember talking to a fool who paid 7k for one in '08.:eek:

It's the power of marketing I tell you.

unkel wrote: »

YEah I suppose, in O6 I paid 2300 for a 99 rover 618, the 75s were mad money in comparison.

Anyway someone buy that 75 as the old man is muttering about buying it back and he already has a Jag he only does a couple of thousand miles a year in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I know S types are gorgeous an all that, but I'm assuming it would of cost him a fortune to come up from the 75 to the S type (assuming he bought new). Are the S types really that better looking than that 75?

He didn't buy new, he bought the car 12 months old, an ex-Jag directors car from the UK, but yeah it wasn't a cheap upgrade. I don't think it was just about looks, but he went from the 75 you see there to a 3.0V6 auto S-type with most of the bells and whistles. The 75 sounded better and was possibly a better ride, but the Jag is quieter and more refined.

I drove the 75 out to the chap who bought it, I remember thinking that it definitely made a better noise than the Jag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I only ever had contact with one S type, it was ropey with a horrible light green colour and white leather. (I hope your fathers isn't either :P) I wasn't majorly impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

Where this thread going?

Seems quite good, loads of new parts and it's clean too.
    Bring him down to around 900-ish and you'll have a cheap Luxubarge.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2506010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Where this thread going?

Need to VRT, tax and NCT it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

Would suit someone in the Northern territory though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

The Northern Territory?

map-australia-northern-territory.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Where this thread going?

From 1300 quid to 900????. I dont think so and would still be dear at that with VRT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

In Northern Ireland, maybe. Ulster, no. 3 counties still part of the Replublic, and need to be VRT'ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

id say 1400 e would buy this , a lot of car , refurb turbo , fsh , a bit of NCT left on her too .

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2542747

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Yours for a grand I'd reckon ....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2509549

Full?id=7855019

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Touch of retro to this rather than just old. Low mileage and its very original condition help. Got to be worth 400 quid. Tiny tax, super on fuel , cheap as chips to fix and its tested for a age.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2647773

View2-8431109.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Touch of retro to this rather than just old. Low mileage and its very original condition help. Got to be worth 400 quid. Tiny tax, super on fuel , cheap as chips to fix and its tested for a age.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2647773

View2-8431109.jpeg

Thats a little minter Ed , cars like that are a no brainer , sell all day long . something tells me its sold as his phone is ringing out.

• Advertisement

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Got to be worth 400 quid.

400?

He'll get his 600 all day for that...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement