Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

a cheap 00 volvo for under 500, wont start though, could be a battery if its laid up for a month. http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2654930

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,412 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Fishtits wrote: »
    That is so far from Bangernomics it might as well be moon rock.

Ancient, very expensive to tax, very expensive to fuel, expensive to service and your chances of selling it on in a year or two are very slim. Its probably worth €250 to someone who likes them.

€250? Surely worth more than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

http://dublin.gumtree.ie/c-Cars-and-vehicles-for-Sale-cars-00-VOLVO-s40-1-9-TD-W0QQAdIdZ315005671

Add a clutch pack 350. Argue him down a little in price.

A weekend in the shed and do the necessaries.

Job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Tenner says it's more than the clutch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

These were an excellent car in their day. long nct on this one....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2609874

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

mickdw wrote: »
    €250? Surely worth more than that

Definitley. The tints destroy it though. First job would be to remove them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭mondeo

gyppo wrote: »

They were great cars in their day, in the early 2000's when they were starting to get old I use to see plenty of them pulling caravans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

mondeo wrote: »
    They were great cars in their day, in the early 2000's when they were starting to get old I use to see plenty of them pulling caravans.

They were good but they've aged horribly. Once they get any bit tatty (like mk2 mondeos) they start looking seriously rough and i don't think many of the colours held up too well either they nearly all look very dated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭mondeo

_Conrad_ wrote: »
    They were good but they've aged horribly. Once they get any bit tatty (like mk2 mondeos) they start looking seriously rough and i don't think many of the colours held up too well either they nearly all look very dated

I think they looked ok in Navy blue and silver but any other colour made they look flat and bland. My Dad nearly bought one back in the day but opted for a Rover 600 instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

gyppo wrote: »

Where did these all go to?

For a bulletproof Japanese car, they certainly didn't last long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Where did these all go to?

For a bulletproof Japanese car, they certainly didn't last long.

Thinking the same thing. I had two of these, and they were brilliant. 1.8l punched above its weight performance wise, and economical too!

The 626 saloon was a decent looking car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,412 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Fabulous car at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I always like the Xedos, but always hated the 626, the back light ruined it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

I always like the Xedos, but always hated the 626, the back light ruined it for me.

i had a V6 Xedos , drove it for 8mths . i really miss that car , not the colour tho it was that dark wine colour with tan leather:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

barura wrote: »

Imagine all the questions and offers that the poor seller will have to endure on Adverts :(

Yeah... But it gets the word out there. It has the 2litre engine as well. Pokey stuff! It'll shift pretty quick at that price, hopefully.

Yeah... But it gets the word out there. It has the 2litre engine as well. Pokey stuff! It'll shift pretty quick at that price, hopefully.

i just hate the way Alfa's go that weird reddish pink colour from the sun , still looks straight enough .

almanu wrote: »
    i just hate the way Alfa's go that weird reddish pink colour from the sun , still looks straight enough .
    Some T-cut would bring it up again surely? Then again, a way to ask the seller to bring the price down and get a respray?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

can vouch for the seller. took my 3 156's down to him for various bits(servicing etc). even brought one of them from him. very good for parts etc,always breaking various alfas.

if you want his number drop me a pm

Some T-cut would bring it up again surely? Then again, a way to ask the seller to bring the price down and get a respray?

i dont even think the marvel that is T-cut could bring it back , i think from memory i tried that with an Alfa before and it broke my heart,it looks as if it got a bit of T-cut as is. a top half respray should get you a few quid off it imo, i do love that type of Alfa they make a glorious sound .

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Rickwellwood

re Mazda 626, i've got a 1994 with 198,800 miles on mine atm its 1.8i GLX, Silver with elec sunroof too goes like a train, super poke still from the 1.8 engine, I put in a set of clean leather seats from a Xedos 6 during the summer, fitted perfectly, no electrics there to mess with and its given the car a complete new lease of life thankfully - reliable is an understatement with these cars (626 Mark IV with either 1.8 or 2.0 l petrols, diesels from that era problematic from what i hear but never owned one)

Still on original engine, clutch, gearbox, although have replaced drive shafts and rear calipers(calipers known problem with 626's) - other that that just wear items in the 17 years I've had it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

RoverJames wrote: »
    Imagine all the questions and offers that the poor seller will have to endure on Adverts :(

I'd love that, always wanted one after driving one for a few days. If I could justify keeping it purely as a toy I'd go for a look at it but don't think I really could, i could buy it at the moment but dunno how long I could hold onto it as a sunday only toy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

You'll find all non metallic red cars go like that. It's the pigment.

It's a lovely rare car anyway.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    You'll find all non metallic red cars go like that. It's the pigment.

It's a lovely rare car anyway.

Jap and certain German cars are fine , for me anyway .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Jap and certain German cars are fine , for me anyway .

Never seen a pink 3er or Starlet then?

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Never seen a pink 3er or Starlet then?

Not one thats got a good dose of T-cut , the point i was trying to make was from personal exp , thats all , i bought plenty of both for buttons that were pink but after a days blemming were mint , were as Alfa's always gave me a problem .

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭B11gt00e

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2514561

If this was there for around a grand it would be in my drive. He bought my towbar off me, I nearly cried when I saw how clean it was, it's genuinely immaculate.

I'll bide my time :pac:

Full?id=7876064

Hey, haven't been on here for a long time but occasionally pop into this thread for a look at the type of cars that I enjoy.

I took this car here that Limerick Man posted a while back for a test-drive there on Tuesday. I did not buy, but I took her for a good run and really got a feel for the car. I did not go for it, as its a bit under powered for me... I had heard that before about the e200, and now I know its true.

Anyways, I was looking at it for somebody else up the country who was curious, and it's the first time I've been a test-pilot or a time-waster, so I told the gentleman involved that I would pop a good word in for him on this forum, as this is where I saw it and he said somebody else had put up the ad for him as he's not that internet savvy.

Anyway, a very nice middle ages Kildare man owns it and let me take it for a long cruise all over the place to get a good feel for the car.

There's a little shake between 1st and 2nd gears, which he says a mate mechanic attributed to an engine mount bushing....I don't know about those, but the steering rack, and all bearing are nice and solid on this car... She feels tight enough to drive.. I took her up and down and all around the multistory car park in the square to get a feel for the steering and whether there are any clunks, clanks, jolts or shakes... Its all good, both in forward and reverse... very comfy suspension over speedbumps which you have all over Tallaght, and then I took her out on the m50 for 10-15 miles or so. She was grand on all counts, just as I said before, if somebody is not looking for power or speed, she'd be grand... towbar and dogbox and all but ye wouldn't wanna be hauling anything substantial in fairness!!...

Tuesday morning was wet and manky, so it was the worst possible conditions for a man selling a car, but gave me good conditions for testing it out, and seeing whether floors or boot were wet.. they weren't and there was no noticeable build up of steam or condensation inside over that time either... something I have seen quite a bit of in older cars!

In the hour that I was running about with it and looking into, under it and what not, there was no discernible movement in the fuel gauge... now, this is something I'm not used to, as the V6 that I run would have dipped noticeably in an hour of the same driving conditions...

So as an honest overview... a good car for someone that's not looking to bend the space time continuum anytime soon. She's straight as far as all body panels go, but the sides have some light scratches along the doors on both sides... T-cuttable, not sure... think they've been touched up along the way... Taxed until end of Novemeber, NCT 'til 2013 and with 4 good tires and a full service not too long ago, she'd definitely be a good enough run about for somebody that wanted a good solid practical car.

Anyways, I have no connection to this car... I'm just honouring my word to a good guy, and I'd say if anyone is interested in this car there could be a bit of leeway on the price I'd say.

Cheers and apologies for the length of the post...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

,always breaking various alfas.

Really.. I always found they did that on their own :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement