Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Those old Audi 80's are supposed to be extremely nose heavy and understeer like pigs.

Who cares , its uber-cool :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Magown3

Not sure on this one as I dont' know much about them. It also looks a bit scruffy... but apparantly it's 110%, :D

Full?id=3627480

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,381 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Link for above Safrane - bit dear when you consider VRT will probably be £720, unless a lower CO2 can be proven. Btw, I see Revenue will accept an MOT CO2 figure now - would probably be higher than the manufacturer's figure, though.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

esel wrote: »
    Link for above Safrane - bit dear when you consider VRT will probably be £720, unless a lower CO2 can be proven. Btw, I see Revenue will accept an MOT CO2 figure now - would probably be higher than the manufacturer's figure, though.
    what about an NCT figure once it's in the country?

i'm thinking a tank of biodiesel on NCT day might be in order. :)

vibe666 wrote: »

? What would that do

• Advertisement

What about an NCT figure once it's in the country?
    Not accepted, apparently.

Not your ornery onager

RoverJames wrote: »
    ? What would that do

co2 emissions would be a lot lower running biodiesel (up to 67% afaik) than regular diesel. unfortunately, not every card can run on 100% bio, so it's not always an option.

my 96 2.8L Pajero runs better on B100 (when I can get it) than it does on regular diesel, but the place I used to get it had a guy turn up and fill up his 5 series bmw and didn't make it off the forecourt before the ECU shut the whole thing down and wouldn't start.

i also did some rough calculations when i got the Pajero and running on B100 it *should* (untested) produce slightly less c02 than a Toyota Prius, assuming the info online is correct.

i suppose if you had somewhere to keep a car on the other side of the pond for a little while and someone who'd help you out storing it, you could find a good (bio friendly) motor in the UK that needed it's MOT doing and fill it with B100 before the MOT and then bring it over with the cert showing low emissions?

also, back on topic, how about this?

2003 Jaguar X-Type V6 2 litre, 65k miles: Price: €4,950

View2?id=3606914
    2003, 65000miles, V6, aircon, electric windows, spare key, sport model (spoiler, 17inch alloys, front fogs) spotless bodywork all round, immaculate interior, wont find a cleaner model

NCT 2011, tax 09/10, parking sensors, electric folding mirrors, premium 10 Alpine speaker sound system

i know techniceally speaking 5k is out of banger territory, but it's quite a lot of car for the money and you won't get mistaken for a taxi like you would in a merc. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

€5k for a 2.0 petrol 8 years of age......not bangernomics.

co2 emissions would be a lot lower running biodiesel (up to 67% afaik) than regular diesel. unfortunately, not every card can run on 100% bio, so it's not always an option.

.................also, back on topic, how about this?

The car linked to was a petrol Safrane which the chap mentioned a tank of bio diesel on NCT day would do the trick ;)

Re, back on topic, €5000 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭alias no.9

esel wrote: »
    what about an NCT figure once it's in the country?

Neither the MOT or NCT measure CO2 emissions, so I don't see how Revenue could ever be in a position to accept or reject the results.

ViewThumb?id=3651093

So long as that roof works :eek:

Saab Ed wrote: »
    ViewThumb?id=3651093

So long as that roof works :eek:

LOl the radio display works, surely the roof will :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭pcardin

I've made an appointment for that saab tonight :)

pcardin wrote: »
    I've made an appointment for that saab tonight :)

And we may have memeber no.3 :P

Edit: Judging by a fresh numberplated, High Cavan reg I'd guess it's an Import... So a check may be worthwhile!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

Edit: Judging by a fresh numberplated, High Cavan reg I'd guess it's an Import... So a check may be worthwhile!

yes it is.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

LOl the radio display works, surely the roof will :P

Is that a fault showing on that display....can't zoom in to read it

yes it is.....

Do we have the owner?
    furtzy wrote: »
    Is that a fault showing on that display....can't zoom in to read it

Looks like something Light Failure... Nothing major I'd assume...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭patrickc

it says brake light failure on the display, used to looking at error messages on my own, popping up from time to time.

Its a manual but its got a decent test and a FSH .....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1411754

View2?id=3432896

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭Barr

cadaliac wrote: »
    €5k for a 2.0 petrol 8 years of age......not bangernomics.

Maybe not but thats some car for €5k. Great value out there at moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

Overpriced, it's 16 years old with 215 on the clock, slow for the engine capacity, road tax high and 2 seats in boot impractical. Anybody in the market for a car like that would be better off scraping together the extra money and getting into a honda stream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭pcardin

Just came back from Saab inspection. Very beautiful but I didn't take it.
    From outside looking very good, no visible rust on body. A dent on left front wing and dent on boot. Original alloys with reasonable tyres. Electric roof (in blue) works as it should. Roof cloth have some little damage on the righ back quarter close to rear window.
    Interior is very good. Beige leather in good condition. Every electrical gadget works. Board computer display is ok. No missing backlight or digits. Shows Check brake light or something like that, obviously bulb is gone. Tape deck (changer in the boot).
    Under the bonet. Engine looks fairly clean. Shows marks that car hasn't been used for some time. No visible oil leakage or anything. There is a deep rust on the metal cap (right side) where the shock absorber is attached. Need a fix otherwise you will see schocks in engine compartment.
    Driving. Clutch is weird, gearbox too ( but coulbe just because of clutch), some rattling sound is coming from underneath while driving. Man said it's from exhaust but I think it's from clutch. Steering is a bit crazy. Looks like steering rack is gone and tappets too.
    Asking price is 1850 but he is prepared to go low. I'm not prepared to take it.

RoverJames wrote: »
    The car linked to was a petrol Safrane which the chap mentioned a tank of bio diesel on NCT day would do the trick ;)
    i wasn't talking specifically about that motor. i actually didn't look at it at all, i was just talking in relation to what esel said about revenue accepting MOT co2 figures.

if it was true, you could buy an old diesel merc or something like that and MOT it running on biodiesel to get lower co2 figures on your MOT cert for revenue, but someone else is saying that the MOT doesn't show co2 values anyway, so maybe not.

doesn't look like i'm cut out for this bangernomics anyway, looks like my idea of a banger doesn't qualify. :)

so what price range should i be looking at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭patrickc

pcardin wrote: »
    Just came back from Saab inspection. Very beautiful but I didn't take it.
    From outside looking very good, no visible rust on body. A dent on left front wing and dent on boot. Original alloys with reasonable tyres. Electric roof (in blue) works as it should. Roof cloth have some little damage on the righ back quarter close to rear window.
    Interior is very good. Beige leather in good condition. Every electrical gadget works. Board computer display is ok. No missing backlight or digits. Shows Check brake light or something like that, obviously bulb is gone. Tape deck (changer in the boot).
    Under the bonet. Engine looks fairly clean. Shows marks that car hasn't been used for some time. No visible oil leakage or anything. There is a deep rust on the metal cap (right side) where the shock absorber is attached. Need a fix otherwise you will see schocks in engine compartment.
    Driving. Clutch is weird, gearbox too ( but coulbe just because of clutch), some rattling sound is coming from underneath while driving. Man said it's from exhaust but I think it's from clutch. Steering is a bit crazy. Looks like steering rack is gone and tappets too.
    Asking price is 1850 but he is prepared to go low. I'm not prepared to take it.

my 97 900 that I had for sale but now my daily driver had a few of those issues had to replace the clutch last year, and the gearboxes on those are prone to problems also.

i failed the nct today on a track rod and an abs warning light, other common things apparently

lovely car to drive though, fast and fun and the weathers been good for them lately, if you can get a nice one go for it

Yeah, I ass-umed the MOT gave CO2 figures. What Revenue actually say (from http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/change-tax-base.html ), bolding mine:
    Revenue will accept a range of documentation for this purpose. Among the documents deemed satisfactory at present are:

the Certificate of Conformity (if it is available),

a print-out from the Revenue ROS Enquiry System where the level of CO2 emissions is shown www.ros.ie

evidence included on a previous registration document e.g. the UK V5,

the level of CO2 emissions stated on a previous National Car Test performed elsewhere within the EU provided the CO2 stated is that given at the time of manufacture,

a print-out for the vehicle from the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) web site, www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk

a print-out from the VCA (Vehicle Certification Agency) web site

a print-out from the SEI (Sustainable Energy Ireland) website

a certificate from the manufacturer or main distributor stating the level of CO2 emissions.

If the vehicle originated in Japan, documentary evidence of the level of CO2 emissions will also be required.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Its a manual but its got a decent test and a FSH .....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1411754

View2?id=3432896

Waaay too expensive for a '96 manual. More e700.

That Jag is a joke. No leather? Hah! Typical Irish bog spec. The autobox gives trouble around that age too. Oh, and it's way out of Bangernomics too. In fact the prices in this thread have been rising significantly of late!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

i know techniceally speaking 5k is out of banger territory, but it's quite a lot of car for the money and you won't get mistaken for a taxi like you would in a merc. :D

It's still a Mondeo though and I wouldn't want people mistaking me for a gobsh1te driving one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Back to bangernomics :

Simple honest motoring:

Full?id=3445762

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1414900

Still Tax & NCT, with a recent service/Timing belt & tyres
    96 renalut Clio

taxed until 10-10 nct until 04-11. Nice clean car for a first time buyer. New Tyre's only 3 weeks ago just serviced, T-belt done @ 100k priced to sell

Price: €320

Perfect simple banger

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement