Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

166man wrote: »
    True actually, turbo could be fcuked. Although it has a new NCT so something must be right with it.

Is it a turbo version?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

RoverJames wrote: »
    Is it a turbo version?

I think it is anyway I thought the ecopower versions were a 2.0t. Light pressure turbo. Not 100% sure though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,613 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Is it a turbo version?

I thought all Saab 9-5s were turbocharged?

The lowest power petrol one is the low pressure turbo 2l 150BHP iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I think it is anyway I thought the ecopower versions were a 2.0t. Light pressure turbo. Not 100% sure though.

Yep you are correct there.The father picked one of these up less than a month ago. It has the same 2.0 litre ecopower lump with the low pressure turbo .

Speaking of, I don't know whether that particular saab is a lemon or not but my Dad picked up a very tidy example with a long test for just under a grand with an original asking price of 1300. I think that's what they tend to go for.

unkel wrote: »
    I thought all Saab 9-5s were turbocharged?

The lowest power petrol one is the low pressure turbo 2l 150BHP iirc

Dunno :)
    I wouldn't be worried about the turbo really, 'twould be more the blocked oil pick up / sludge issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That'd have implications for the turbo

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That'd have implications for the turbo

True but the problem manifests itself in the engine knocking before the turbo shows any signs of trouble generally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

On donedeal, right click on the picture and select "copy image address" or something like that, depending on what browser you use

Than in your new thread here on boards, click on the postcard image on top of the box you are typing in, and then paste the image address and hit enter :)

The image address looks something like this: http://photos2.donedeal.ie/View2-8533537.jpeg

Fine so thanks. Have google chrome on this. Will try it soon anyway

Cheap solid car with long test. Wouldn't have to worry about it through the winter. Not my usual old diesel banger or cheap luxo-barge mind but I like these, they drive well for what they are, and they're very solid. This could be got for 600 easily or possibly closer to 500 if you were lucky. You could even break it up and recover most of that back when finished with it at the end of the run of test or sell it on with a bit left. There's a reasonable demand for bits for these and the shells are pretty heavy too for their size.

Full?id=8490976

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2662614

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Because something may have arisen since.

Did someone say sludge ;):D

In early stages of 9-5 engine failure, to the untrained eye and ear, the only give away that the arse is about to fall out of the motor is a whine from the engine on start up or an intermitent flashy oil light under load while out on a test drive. In some cases the light wont even come on and its not till a couple of thousand miles have past and the lump goes bang that you know you have a problem. In fairness most owners dont actually know how serious a problem they have until its too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

For me it was a very, very, faint rattle. That became louder and louder.

For me it was a very, very, faint rattle. That became louder and louder.

And then boom. All of that in an hour or so? :eek:

And then boom. All of that in an hour or so? :eek:

Well, no. I'd imagine the car would of last another thousand miles or so, maybe more. It was Engine flush that ruined my engine. It loosen all the ****e in the sump and rightly clogged the sieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Well, no. I'd imagine the car would of last another thousand miles or so, maybe more. It was Engine flush that ruined my engine. It loosen all the ****e in the sump and rightly clogged the sieve.

Yeah that'll do it :(

Fully Synt every 6k, sump off every 40k or so and always clean the stariner.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Yeah that'll do it :(

Fully Synt every 6k, sump off every 40k or so and always clean the stariner.

Aye...

40510_10150234563960176_805400175_14087379_6502658_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

What ever became of it it in the end; did it go for scrap or was it sold as a fixer upper?

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Did someone say sludge ;):D

In early stages of 9-5 engine failure, to the untrained eye and ear, the only give away that the arse is about to fall out of the motor is a whine from the engine on start up or an intermitent flashy oil light under load while out on a test drive. In some cases the light wont even come on and its not till a couple of thousand miles have past and the lump goes bang that you know you have a problem. In fairness most owners dont actually know how serious a problem they have until its too late.

Indeed, long before the turbo ever could complain :)

I'd be afraid to buy a Saab over that sludge issue, too much of a gamble on the effected engines. Realistically the sump won't have been dropped on many of them and all too few will have gotten the syn oil that often.

_Conrad_ wrote: »

ViewThumb-8490976.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2662614

well that didn't come out very well.

You're doing grand :)
    Just click on the picture to open up the large version of it than paste in that address not the address of the smaller pic :)

VolvoMan wrote: »
    What ever became of it it in the end; did it go for scrap or was it sold as a fixer upper?

167660_10150364117340176_805400175_16787638_345724_n.jpg

Fixer upper! Tbh, I should of fixed it myself. I had just taxed it for three months and it would of had a 2 year NCT.

The lad who bought it had just sold a Viggen version of the same car, so he had saved himself a few bob and was going to have the same car.

Sold it for €1350, which I was delighted with. I paid €1500 for it and paid €174 for tax, and about 100 on service items.

Wasn't a bad loss, to be fair.

Sold it for €1350, which I was delighted with. I paid €1500 for it

You did very very well there :eek:

Buy a car, the most expensive bit of the car fails and you lose only a couple of hundred on it :D

• Advertisement

You did very very well there :eek:

Buy a car, the most expensive bit of the car fails and you lose only a couple of hundred on it :D

Yeah, I got the right fella for it. I'd seen his Viggin on donedeal, and I'm fairly sure he got over €3,500 for it. It wasn't that much different from my own, and he seemed to know his Saabs.

It's funny, I actually agreed a deal of 900 with a fella on a Saturday about 8 o clock. Then the fella who bought it rang me and said he was interested and I said it was just sold. A bit of haggling and he drove straight up from Cork as soon as he hung up the phone (I had it up for €1,550, cheeky ;))

Needless to say the person who I'd agreed 900 with was not at all impressed, but to be fair, he wanted to come up, leave 100 euro deposit and pay the balance on his return trip from a two week holiday :rolleyes:

Lol, while I'm in this fair, I might as well tell the whole story.

I spotted it on donedeal, after being influenced by a friend and his Saab 95 Aero. I thought it was a very pretty car (I'd love them since I went about trading in one about 3 years ago). The car was advertised for €2250, so I went to view the car. It was a Polish lad selling it, he said he bought it as a project and he was finished it. He hadn't it Nct'd at the time, so I was a tad skeptical.

My friend drove it, said the brakes needed small attention but other than that it drove perfectly, all the bits and pieces worked. I offered him €1800 (trying to cover myself for a small profit/loss if I ddin't like it down the line) but he wasn't having any of it. We parted ways and left it at that.

About two weeks later I got a phone call from him saying that he was going back for a holiday to Poland and was willing to do the deal, he had also NCT'd it in the mean time. I told him I no longer had €1,800 to spend, but I did have €1,500. He turned his nose at it but three hours later texted me and asked me when I could have the money, I said that evening and we met up and did the deal. Car seemed the very same as two weeks previous, just it had a fresh Nct on the window.

I drove the car about 4 miles and before I got home I noticed a very faint rattle. I didn't even drive it home and I pulled into a car park down from my house, I got a real feeling I'd been caught. My Saab friend looked and listened, and once his face when red I knew the worst.

I rang the seller straight away, he had already posted the book and knew nothing of the noise, which really was the final nail in the coffin for me.

I had the car towed to a friends garage, so he could look at it for me. He has a few Polish guys working for him, and one of them knew the guy who has sold me the car, they also knew how much the seller had bought it for. Once the worst had been diagnosed, I returned to collect the car and €400 was written on the bottom in the dust, a stomach turning sight, to be fair.

It was still driving at that point, just the rattle was ever so faint. I read on a few forums what to do, and one fella told me that Engine flush would sort it out, and sort it out it did. I serviced it, put in the flush and drove it about 3 miles around the block, the knocking got louder, and louder and louder. It really is a horrible sound to hear your new cars engine die in front of you. I knew it was fubbered and didn't see any point in stopping so I finished the around the block trip and drove it home, which it made it.

I parked it up, weighed up the options of a new engine. I had decided that I was going to sell it either way, and I reckoned by the time I had a new engine in, I'd make as much of a loss if I sold it with the engine gone, so I did that, and it worked in my favour. I do hope the car is still on the road, I assume it is.

My only bad bangernomics experience, I find it very hard to not paint the seller and Saabs aliike with the same brush, but such is life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

ouch, the seller had a good set of brass ones to pull that one off. ugh horrible to get caught like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

In fairness, it did have an NCT, if it didn't, it really wouldn't have been worth much after the engine failure.

NCT is a load of pox in some ways. My mates car has no gearbox. Like it sounds like a meat grinder. Still got the NCT. Madness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I am afraid I got duped buying a 9-5 last year:mad:.No SH and I still bought her:(.and i later found out that she was cl......(I cant say it:rolleyes:).Anyway i did my research about all the problems that can arise with them.Done a service and had the sump dropped just to make sure, everthing was ok luckily:cool:.There was a slight rattle from the timing chain, but the garage said to keep doing the oil change every 6k miles.I was paranoid about the turbo, so changed the oil at the 5k mark instead.I even changed the gearbox oil, flushed out the old type oil that was there, and added the newer red colour stuff.Unfortunately i had to sell that car due to financial problems, but if I had money again, I would absolutely looovvvee to have one again.I was even dreaming of going right back to the classic 900,mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

jimmyw wrote: »
    I am afraid I got duped buying a 9-5 last year:mad:.No SH and I still bought her:(.and i later found out that she was cl......(I cant say it:rolleyes:).Anyway i did my research about all the problems that can arise with them.Done a service and had the sump dropped just to make sure, everthing was ok luckily:cool:.There was a slight rattle from the timing chain, but the garage said to keep doing the oil change every 6k miles.I was paranoid about the turbo, so changed the oil at the 5k mark instead.I even changed the gearbox oil, flushed out the old type oil that was there, and added the newer red colour stuff.Unfortunately i had to sell that car due to financial problems, but if I had money again, I would absolutely looovvvee to have one again.I was even dreaming of going right back to the classic 900,mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!1

How did you get duped? You havent said that it had any problems, just your preventative measures!

ottostreet wrote: »
    How did you get duped? You havent said that it had any problems, just your preventative measures!

TWas clocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

ottostreet wrote: »

The car was clocked:(.But luckily I had very few problems with her.I serviced her when I got her, and did so again when I found out about that.I changed the breather system for the last upgrade, changed the wiring under the seat due to the airbag light coming on due to moving the seat.Changed the rear pads and adjusted the handbrake.So very few problems really.The interior was in great shape too, thats why she hid the miles.I am still gutted I had to sell her:(

You're doing grand :)
    Just click on the picture to open up the large version of it than paste in that address not the address of the smaller pic :)

Appears to be fixed now thanks for that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

A staid looking S60 T5: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2621751

A set of 17" Tethys alloys should sort that out nicely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement