Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

samih wrote: »
    Nice car. When I see one I always think of this poor example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD0Pv6yyGek

What did the numptys put in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

-Corkie- wrote: »
    What did the numptys put in it?

Sodium silicate, it's a liquid that turns into a glass like substance when it's heated.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

samih wrote: »
    Nice car. When I see one I always think of this poor example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD0Pv6yyGek
    What's going on in that video? Seems pointless...

barura wrote: »
    What's going on in that video? Seems pointless...

It's a car scrappage scheme in the USA. All engines must be destroyed so the cars cannot be exported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

That is ****ing pathetic. Thanks for the answer though... sorry I asked.

• Advertisement

barura wrote: »
    That is ****ing pathetic. Thanks for the answer though... sorry I asked.

I know. Such a shame. There have been some gorgeous cars destroyed. If you are brave type "cash for clunkers" into youtube :eek::eek::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

166man wrote: »
    I mean I know the're American but still why the hell would they do that!

*Volvoman cries while watching video... :D

I remember reading a list of all the cars that were traded in under that scheme and I seem to recall seeing a few last of the line 164 V6's in there.;)

Really though, it did make for some terrifying reading. There were DB7's amongst other things traded in.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Ive just been reading about that Cash for Clunkers, what a waste of good cars :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,613 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

langdang wrote: »
    You want more through the front wheels ? :D

At speed in a straight line, what wheels drive the car make no difference. It would be nice to pass out some high end Mercedes and BMW saloons (they're all restricted to 250km/h) on the Autobahn :D
    VolvoMan wrote: »
    I remember reading a list of all the cars that were traded in under that scheme and I seem to recall seeing a few last of the line 164 V6's in there.;)

Really though, it did make for some terrifying reading. There were DB7's amongst other things traded in.

I posted a link to a spreadsheet with all scrapped cars a few times, someone will dig it up. Dozens of Porsches, Jaguars and indeed that Aston Martin and loads of other cars that should never have been scrapped. What a terrible waste :(

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

^

I brought this up on another thread - feckin awful waste indeed. Would be interested in having a glance at that spreadsheet:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,613 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

^

I brought this up on another thread - feckin awful waste indeed. Would be interested in having a glance at that spreadsheet:D

Dug it up for ya:

My post #25 in this thread

Here's a direct link to the official US Government PDF file with all cars scrapped :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

h3000 wrote: »
    Aston Martin DB7 :eek::eek::eek::mad:

I hear they traded it in for a tiida...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

3489ahh_20.jpeg
    http://dublin.gumtree.ie/c-Cars-and-vehicles-for-Sale-cars-00-Alfa-Romeo-166-Nct-06-12-Highest-Spec-2-0-W0QQAdIdZ327475008

Someone please check out if this is genuine and then buy it. Extremely high spec, apparently low mileage and the best colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,013 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

That is one ugly Alfa :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Quazzie wrote: »

The 166 :eek:

The 166 is one of the best looking saloon's ever made :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Col200sx wrote: »
    The 166 :eek:

The 166 is one of the best looking saloon's ever made :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT7dpPQ43ac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

unkel wrote: »

E34 M5?!

E32 V12 - 11 OF THEM?!

No wonder everyone hates the yanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Jesus, the amount of lovely cars scrapped is horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Quazzie wrote: »

:eek::(

Really?

That example has been around for ages and it's the tax that kills it. A very clean example and of course it has that fantastic V6, manual would be preferable though. Problem with that colour is that any scratch can cost hundreds/thousands to put right due to the vast amount of layers of paint that it has.

This one looks nice but at least 1000-1500 too expensive!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2678473

If this 156 could be got for around 900 quid it would be a right bargain

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2642273 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markens2

:eek::(

Really?

That example has been around for ages and it's the tax that kills it. A very clean example and of course it has that fantastic V6, manual would be preferable though. Problem with that colour is that any scratch can cost hundreds/thousands to put right due to the vast amount of layers of paint that it has.

This one looks nice but at least 1000-1500 too expensive!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2678473

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2642273 :D

That 166 is almost the exact same as mine except mine has leather. I was trying to sell mine and couldn't shift it at 1100. Would have taken 900 for it, I'm glad I didn't though. In love that car so much.
    Makes ya feel special when ya drive it.

markens2 wrote: »
    That 166 is almost the exact same as mine except mine has leather. I was trying to sell mine and couldn't shift it at 1100. Would have taken 900 for it, I'm glad I didn't though. In love that car so much.
    Makes ya feel special when ya drive it.

Is yours a V6?!! :eek: They need leather too, fabric is a big no in the 166.

Never shift your 166, ever! My old man is looking into buying his back at the moment!

........... Problem with that colour is that any scratch can cost hundreds/thousands to put right due to the vast amount of layers of paint that it has. .................

What's that you are saying about vast layers of paint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 janeyb

<snip>

RoverJames wrote: »
    What's that you are saying about vast layers of paint?

From what I remember, way back in 2004 when my old man was looking at the 166, he was given a 2004 166 with that same paint colour. The reason he went for the black instead of that colour was the bill for any scratches or dents would be huge due to it needing many coats of what was described as ''special'' paint at the time.

I can't remember the name of the paint but 'twas exactly like that older 166.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

From what I remember, way back in 2004 when my old man was looking at the 166, he was given a 2004 166 with that same paint colour. The reason he went for the black instead of that colour was the bill for any scratches or dents would be huge due to it needing many coats of what was described as ''special'' paint at the time.

I can't remember the name of the paint but 'twas exactly like that older 166.

Tis called pearl. A misery to spray correctly

dgt wrote: »
    Tis called pearl. A misery to spray correctly

Not hugely expensive compared to other paints though. Certainly nothing along the lines of what's being suggested here.

Not hugely expensive compared to other paints though. Certainly nothing along the lines of what's being suggested here.

Do you have any experience of owning an Alfa with the colour? I was going on what my father was told by an Alfa sales guy at the time.

Do you have any experience of owning an Alfa with the colour? I was going on what my father was told by an Alfa sales guy at the time.

I have experience of matching, mixing and selling the paint if that counts :)
    Ever think the Alfa sales guy was talking out his arse to sell a car that he wanted to sell to your ole lad?
    That's twice now you've mentioned we should own the fecking things to have an opinion on them.

Edit, regarding Alfa sales guys, I've stood in an Alfa garage full of 156s in for warranty work while the sales guys told folk the 156 was bulletproof and Alfa had moved on from all their issues over reliability etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

No not atall, top coat is what makes the pearly effect, its a bit more expensive than say 702 smoke silver or 483/a heraldic blue (smoke silver takes 6 different colours including black and brown to make up that particular shade of silver and heraldic blue needs a pastel blue base coat followed by the heraldic blue top coat for the full effect just like pearl). What it does it what makes it dearer.

My point is to do it correctly requires a lot more care and effort than a lot of other colours :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement